Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdcasimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Hello

I'm in a dilemma right now and was wondering if I could get some friendly advice. OK so. I have the iPhone 6 Right now and was thinking about upgrading it to the iPhone 7. Now the only reason i would do it is because the iPhone 6 running os 10 is really buggy and slow. Like its becoming a thing to where I have to restart my phone once a day because it will lag out, if you get what I'm saying, like the screen turns black then i have to wait for it to come back on when it wants to. I'm with Verizon right now, and they are doing the promotion of if you trade in your old iPhone you get either 400-650$ for it. So i have the iPhone 6 , so i could get 650$ for it , and trade it in for a 32 gb iPhone 7 for basically free. The only reason I would do this and get the 32 gb is because I would get it free and not have to worry about paying a remainder for the next 24 months. So if I get a iPhone 7 128 gb , Its 860-650 = 210, So i would have to pay that 210 in the spread of 24 months, so I would be done in 2018 and miss out on the iPhone 8 in 2017. That is the only reason I would get the 32 gb, because I don't have to worry about that spread of payments. And trust me If i could i would pay the remainder all at once, but I've asked several times and they don't allow it anymore. So its basically a win win for me right ? And i want the iPhone 8 next year, but the thing is I don't think I can wait that long with this 6 being really slow. Do you guys have any ideas/advice for me? Should I go ahead and do it?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If your not interested in the Tenth anniversary iPhone and do not upgrade every year like I do, then Verizon's trade in program may be best for you, being your not an annual upgrader.

jdcasimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Well, yeah i could care less about this iPhone 7, the thing is my iPhone 6 really buggy, and I'm guessing that when the iPhone 8 comes out, that I could get more for the iPhone 7 than I would for the iPhone 6. Isn't it the best bet to just do that? The thing is the iPhone 8, assuming, is going to be revamped and all that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, yeah i could care less about this iPhone 7, the thing is my iPhone 6 really buggy, and I'm guessing that when the iPhone 8 comes out, that I could get more for the iPhone 7 than I would for the iPhone 6. Isn't it the best bet to just do that? The thing is the iPhone 8, assuming, is going to be revamped and all that.

Correct. I would upgrade. But remember, you don't own the iPhone until it's paid off. However, you can trade in your iPhone 7 for a preorder for the next iPhone if you do wish. And yes, the iPhone 8 or tenth anniversary iPhone will be a completely revamped iPhone cosmetically.

jdcasimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
yeah, I wouldn't have to worry about a device payment because the iPhone 6 trades in for 650, and the iPhone 7 is 650$, so the only thing I am paying is the activation and taxes . Thats it .

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
yeah, I wouldn't have to worry about a device payment because the iPhone 6 trades in for 650, and the iPhone 7 is 650$, so the only thing I am paying is the activation and taxes . Thats it .

The $650.00 is applied as a bill credit and you do make three months of initial payments until the credit is received. I'm also with Verizon. In any case, you could upgrade. I would. Plus, the iPhone 6 is prone to the 'Touch disease' if you haven't heard about it.

jdcasimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Oh, Okay so I do make the "payments" but It's not like 24 months , right ? Becasue the only thing I'm trying to avoid is the 2 year thing, I'm just trying to make sure I can get the iPhone 8 next year without being "under 2 yr payment contract" , also what is the touch disease?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oh, Okay so I do make the "payments" but It's not like 24 months , right ? Becasue the only thing I'm trying to avoid is the 2 year thing, I'm just trying to make sure I can get the iPhone 8 next year without being "under 2 yr payment contract" , also what is the touch disease?

Google the Touch disease. It will explain everything for iPhone 6.

What I'm doing when my 7 Plus arrives is making a monthly payment and then trading the iPhone in after I preorder the 2017 iPhone. You have to make 12 monthly Payments and the Verizon will pay the remaining balance for you. Once you receive your new iPhone, you send in your previous device. It's a nice advantage for those who like to upgrade every year.

jdcasimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Oh, So Thats another option im assuming, I could get a better iPhone 7 like the 7 Plus or whatever, make 12 payments, then trade in for iPhone 8 ?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oh, So Thats another option im assuming, I could get a better iPhone 7 like the 7 Plus or whatever, make 12 payments, then trade in for iPhone 8 ?

That's a different option if so choose. You make 12 payments or make whatever payments remaining on the iPhone, then you can preorder the newest iPhone. Not a bad idea, when you have someone like myself who upgrades annually anyways. Verizon will pay off the remaining balance owed on your current device you made the monthly payments on. I think this would only be beneficial for an annual upgrader though. However, you can make 24 monthly payments of you decide to not upgrade and keep the iPhone you have.

jdcasimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Yeah i see, Im just trying to get it for free, boom be outta there, and wait till 2018, with no payments. I'm go up and talk to them tomorrow, I just wanted to see what others thought , If doing what I was going to do was a good idea or nah. Thanks man

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah i see, Im just trying to get it for free, boom be outta there, and wait till 2018, with no payments. I'm go up and talk to them tomorrow, I just wanted to see what others thought , If doing what I was going to do was a good idea or nah. Thanks man

Good luck.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

You have made a lot of assumptions here most of them probably wrong. The top level of trade in ($650) will almost certainly be for a 128gb iPhone 6s Plus. You are going to get far less for an iPhone 6 with less storage.

Also I find it hard to believe that iOS 10 has done anything to your iPhone 6 mine is faster and better to use than on iOS 9. Maybe just a wipe and reinstall would sort out your current phone then you can go onto a sim only contract for a year and get next years one as you wish.

iKeith

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
I recommend leaving Verizon, personally. I switched to being pre-paid and have never been happier. No contract. No gimmicks. I switched to Boost Mobile and get unlimited calls, texts and data for $50/mo. After three months of on-time payments, your bill goes down $5 a month until you reach a certain point. I have no issues with reception or having data speeds slowed down on me.

With Verizon I had limited everything for more money.

Regarding the phone, maybe you can could trade it in for a different iPhone 6, or even an earlier model, until the iPhone 8 comes out. You could even trade it in, pocket some cash, and go with a mid-range Android phone temporarily. The Samsung Galaxy J7 is actually a very good phone and you can get them for $179 (instead of $239.) Personally (in my opinion; in my way of thinking, which is no more right/wrong than anyone else's), paying close to a thousand dollars for a phone every year is insanity and a waste of money, especially if you have other debt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.