Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StupidOpinion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2021
very interested to see where Apple ends up on the high-end. I expect better in the larger iMac than you can get in a laptop. more cores at least - you can still call them M1 Pro and M1 Max and have differing core counts.
according to OP's post, it has same design as 24 in imac so i don't think it'll have the thermal capacity to go higher than the 32 core m1 max. in theory, the mac mini should be the highest performing mac but i'm not sure it is

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The 27-inch display makes sense. People have to understand this is an all-in-one machine. Consumers buy this to save space in the first place. If it were 32-inch, it would significantly reduce the number of desks it fits onto.
After owned two 27” iMacs, I found if you ever had transport it in for service it was very awkward model to handle. Whereas the flatter 24” is so light and easy to handle comparably. I expect Apple to make a larger version that encompasses a edge to edge display in the same 27” dimensions (approaching 29”-30”), and as you correctly point out not enlarging the form factor so that it becomes too large for most desks. ;)

Reactions: Maigrais

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It’s too unwieldy for me. The 27-inch iMac is a large display without any modern ergonomics (height adjustment, swivel, pivot). Looks great on a magazine cover and those with small workspaces but actual professionals want a separate monitor with ergonomic features.
I guess that makes me a non-professional or unprofessional. That is a nonsense comment but you’re entitled to your opinion, as am I.
Do you actually own a 27 iMac?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
After owned two 27” iMacs, I found if you ever had transport it in for service it was very awkward model to handle. Whereas the flatter 24” is so light and easy to handle comparably. I expect Apple to make a larger version that encompasses a edge to edge display in the same 27” dimensions (approaching 29”-30”), and as you correctly point out not enlarging the form factor so that it becomes too large for most desks.
That size would be perfect, for me

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I guess that makes me a non-professional or unprofessional. That is a nonsense comment but you’re entitled to your opinion, as am I.
Do you actually own a 27 iMac?

I owned a 2015 model and sold it last year. Have upgraded several 2012-2014 models for friends. I could live with the non-adjustable display, but to have to blindly reach behind the computer to access any of the USB ports is plain stupid.

constructor

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
So LG is supposedly doing 24-, 27- and 32-inch displays for Apple, right?

What if they do two Pro sizes?

iPad10-inch Air11-inch Pro13-inch Pro
MacBook13-inch Air14-inch Pro16-inch Pro
iMac24-inch27-inch Pro32-inch Pro
I'd love that – and would gladly buy the bigger one plus an external display at the same size (just no ultra-expensive XDR).

I doubt that we'll get this, but I'd be on board! ?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
After owned two 27” iMacs, I found if you ever had transport it in for service it was very awkward model to handle. Whereas the flatter 24” is so light and easy to handle comparably. I expect Apple to make a larger version that encompasses a edge to edge display in the same 27” dimensions (approaching 29”-30”), and as you correctly point out not enlarging the form factor so that it becomes too large for most desks. ;)

Yes, do you decide to grab the display or grab the stand? Either way, you’ll feel uncomfortable moving it.

And I can’t imagine rotating a 32-inch iMac just to access the USB ports on the back so people’s desks had better be big enough. Then there’s the webcam positioning issue. A 32-inch iMac sounds good on paper but there are so many practical and ergonomic issues.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I owned a 2015 model and sold it last year. Have upgraded several 2012-2014 models for friends. I could live with the non-adjustable display, but to have to blindly reach behind the computer to access any of the USB ports is plain stupid.
that I totally agree with, esp for the SD card slot, makes it totally impractical and the reason for me to buy the Satechi stand which is a USB C hub that has a SD card slot in the front ... but given that the new 24 has its USB ports on the back again, not sure what we can expect at this point

Reactions: HowardEv

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Apple will not be replacing the current iMacs with anything. They wont even lower the prices. They are creating a new prosumer tier to keep the prices above $2,000. Then after the mac pro comes out they will eventually introduce a mac pro tier of laptops and imacs with mac pro chips starting at over $5,000. Any updates to the current M1 models will be modest at best. Apple will have a consumer model, change the pro models to prosumer models and add a real Pro line that starts way above todays price points.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
So it'll be M1 based then, was kind of hoping for M2 but still excited

An M1 Pro chip is still going to be better than an M2 chip. If you’re familiar with Intel chip models, think of it this way:

M1, M2, M3 - Intel i5
M1 Pro, M2 Pro, M3 Pro - Intel i7
M1 Max, M2 Max, M3 Max - Intel i9

(I’m not at all comparing to Intel performance. I’m just showing the chip categories/tiers.)

flowderf

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Hoping for a spec bump to the 24" upon the 27" announcement, specifically >16G RAM options.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
5K @ 120Hz is possible with Display Stream Compression over TB4.

That being said, since the display would be internal,
Hopefully there will also be a new stand-alone miniLED 27” display with the same specs over TB cable. I don’t want the computer built in the monitor, so if TB works that’s awesome.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
It's going to be fiercely expensive, but amazing value compared to buying a mini LED monitor plus a mac mini. It'll be lovely, but who really needs a mini LED monitor, though?
I'm waiting for the M1 Pro Mini...
I think the main advantage of mini LED is energy efficiency, so a 27” could run on battery, or on TB power.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Day 1 purchase. and if they prove to be solid with no hidden got-cha’s after 6-8 months of reviews, my business will buy 2K+ of them. We have been waiting forever for Apple displays.

BradMacPro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005

Apple's suppliers have kicked off shipments for a new 27-inch iMac with a mini-LED display, according to a paywalled preview of a DigiTimes report.

24-and-27-inch-imacs.jpg

The shipments are said to be in limited quantities. No further details are available, but the report is likely referring to suppliers shipping individual components to larger manufacturers for final assembly as the new 27-inch iMac moves towards production.

Apple is widely rumored to be planning a new 27-inch iMac with a mini-LED display for release in the first half of 2022. According to display industry analyst Ross Young, who has proven to be a reliable source of display-related rumors, the new 27-inch iMac will support ProMotion, enabling a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz for smoother content.

Twitter leaker @dylandkt, another source who has proven reliable, claimed that the new 27-inch iMac will feature a similar design as the 24-inch iMac that launched earlier this year, but with a darker color scheme. He also said the computer will be powered by the same M1 Pro and M1 Max chips as used in the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro.

As of now, the 27-inch iMac is one of the last Intel-based Macs that Apple still sells, alongside the high-end Mac mini and the Mac Pro tower.

Article Link: New 27-Inch iMac With Mini-LED Display Reportedly Moves Towards Production
If Apple calls it iMac Pro, then maybe they will be encouraged to use iMac Pro pricing, so $5000 and up. 27" ProMotion displays with mini-LED backlighting can't be inexpensive. Considering the price for a 16" MacBook Pro but with a bigger display, starting at $2499, so $3000 or more is easy to guess.

Reactions: BrightDarkSky

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
of course it can be...look even 14" and 16" can be pro...so not the display size its the main thing...the display size just place the product in one of category
In fact, a pro would have several displays of various sizes and resolutions, and not use all-in-one dorm room toys.

• Disagree
Reactions: constructor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.