Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
If this is an attempt to get iPads back in schools, its still too expensive. Sad but my kids schools gave up on Apple years ago for Chromebooks. Google is kicking Apple's ass in this arena.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I don't know why you bother coming on this website, you appear to be unhappy with everything Apple release/don't release/are rumoured to release.

For me personally, this seems a bargain. If there is a massive increased performance between this and my creaking iPad 3 count me in!

I am a huge apple fan my friend.

Apple hasnt doesnt anything new with the ipad. We ask for better software and they arent responding.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Literally every post he has made is anti-apple. I will never understand people that spend huge amounts of time on a company enthusiasts website just to bash the company. I have never been on any android or windows enthusiasts website to denigrate their products, because I don't care. Never. It just seems so weird to me that people spend so much of their time doing this. Oh well, to each his own.

I'm apple's biggest fan.

tha_man

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
Ipad looked like a great value and I was toying with the idea about replacing my mini retina, because bigger screen would be more practical in music apps... but for 409 EUR (in europe) I guess there will be no buy until I'll really need it...which is actually a good thing :)

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
The phone looks like it came from target store....
[doublepost=1490375149][/doublepost]
Got my order in for a RED 7 plus! Available for pickup today! Whoohooo!!! This is my first smartphone. I've had ipods and ipads but always talked on a cheap tracfone. I'm really looking forward to using the camera. :)
Please check the hissing sound when you record it in silent room...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
was gonna pick up a red iPhone, though looking at my 6S plus in a product red cover, it really looks better with the black front. Jet black with red leather case, in my opinion is a better look

To me, that's a good idea and a huge way of saving money all over a black display. I like to think Red is just a color, which can be easily remedied in your situation.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
That iPad is fabulous value. It'll definitely last a fair few years with that hardware. Yes there's no laminated display but as another poster pointed out, it means screen repairs will be much easier and cheaper if they're damaged.
It's hilarious that you actually believe this.

0lf

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2016
Well I suppose that value depends on how often you plan on breaking your screen vs using your iPad around other lights...

I'd grab an Air 2 while you can for the less reflective benefit on every use over maybe saving money in the future.
I think it is key point for Apple targeting the education market.
If you take care of your product, there is no appeal to the non laminated screen.

Reactions: 44267547

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
That iPad is fabulous value. It'll definitely last a fair few years with that hardware. Yes there's no laminated display but as another poster pointed out, it means screen repairs will be much easier and cheaper if they're damaged.

I think this is a smart move by Apple and will seal the iPad as the dominate tablet in the market. I see no reason to spend $200 on say a cheap android tablet, when you can now get into Apple's significantly better tablet app eco system, a full size 10" retina display, and a still fast A9 for $329 for which you could probably find sub-$300 at retailers in a few months.

Although, the test is going to be how the iPad Pro can take on the Surface Pro 4 and it's surprising well done Windows OEM clones on the high end productivity tablet market.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It's hilarious that you actually believe this.

Not as hilarious as boasting a history of Apple-bashing posts on an Apple rumour forum, I suppose. But hey, each to their own.

Most people here will continue to appreciate a well-rounded product at a reasonable price. Not groundbreaking, not innovative, but solid and pretty good value for the performance.

Others will continue to spread their enlightened rhetoric about how everything sucks, and people are stupid because they don't agree with their grumpy pessimism. It must get exhausting after a while.

Wwjdjake

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017

Apple has just begun accepting orders for the new 9.7-inch iPad and (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and 7 Plus on its online store in the United States and dozens of other countries and regions around the world. (PRODUCT)RED iPhones are also available for in-store pickup at select Apple Stores starting today.

97ipad.jpg

The new 9.7-inch iPad is equipped with a faster Apple A9 chip and brighter Retina display compared to the iPad Air 2, which has been discontinued. It is also somewhat thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2 since it lacks a fully laminated display with anti-reflective coating in order to keep costs down.

The tablet's tech specs are otherwise identical to the iPad Air 2, including a display resolution of 2,048-by-1,536 at 264 PPI, 8-megapixel rear iSight camera, 1.2-megapixel front FaceTime camera, two speakers, Lightning connector, 3.5mm headphone jack, Touch ID with Apple Pay, and Bluetooth 4.2.

The new 9.7-inch iPad starts at $329 for a 32GB model with Wi-Fi, making it the cheapest new tablet that Apple has ever sold. Apple also offers a 128GB model with Wi-Fi for $429, while cellular-capable 32GB and 128GB models are available for $459 and $559 respectively in Silver, Gold, and Space Gray.

The new 9.7-inch iPad is now available to order on Apple's website in dozens of countries around the world. The first online orders are estimated for delivery between March 31 and April 5 in the United States.

Apple said the new 9.7-inch iPad will be available to purchase at select Apple Stores, authorized resellers, and carrier stores starting next week in more than 20 countries, such as the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

Screen-Shot-10-e1490106355345-800x538.jpg

Apple's special edition (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models are also now available to order on Apple's website in 128GB and 256GB storage capacities for $749/$849 and $869/$969 respectively. Initial orders are slated for delivery on Tuesday, March 28 in the United States.

(PRODUCT)RED iPhones have a vibrant red finish complemented by a silver Apple logo and white front bezels. Apple said the models are in recognition of more than 10 years of partnership between Apple and (RED), which gives customers a way to contribute to the Global Fund in support of HIV/AIDS programs in Africa.

The special edition iPhone joins the current (PRODUCT)RED lineup, which is available to purchase year-round, including the full iPod line of products, Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones, Beats Pill+ Portable Speaker, the iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case, and a range of accessories for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.

(PRODUCT)RED iPhones are available starting today at many Apple Stores, authorized resellers, and carrier stores in the United States and dozens of other countries. Apple said the new models will begin shipping to customers by the end of March in the United States and more than 40 countries and regions.

Article Link: New 9.7-Inch iPad and Red iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Now Available to Order
[doublepost=1490377315][/doublepost]Telstra Australia has advertised they are taking orders for the red limited edition iPhones but there is a problem with the order process when ordering a red iPhone so best to hold off till later tomorrow. It's currently defaulting to the black.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Agreed. But I suspect at this point, for those who owns iPhone 6/6s, and the 7 are all waiting for the next iPhone. As for price wise, I'd say go for the SE if you don't care about the bigger screen. Maybe if the red was available from the beginning.

I don't want to buy it I just think it's pretty

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Is the color gamut the same as the iPad Air 2?

Also, will we now see a price cut on the iPad Air 2 from third party retailers?

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I sure would like to throw a hefty amount of money at Apple if they'd bother updating their Macs, but until then..

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That is my thinking too, longer support and cheaper screen replacements if she happens to drop it etc.
I'd go for it! I almost pulled the trigger for my grandparents, but I decided to hold off because I was wanting to give them this one once the new iPad Pro 2 comes out. Seems like a waste of a device. The new iPad should be a decent amount faster, but my Air 2 is also free and in perfect condition, lol. Their 4th gen gets them by but my grandma did put a crack through the screen, then had it repaired somewhere without telling me and that place really jacked up the home button, which makes it sunken in and harder to press. The main thing that made me back out was learning that the new one is a little thicker like the original Air, so I couldn't just give them one of my nice protective cases, so I'd have to spend some money on a really protective case since they're prone to dropping it. I just wish Apple would come out with the new Pro. I'm really hoping for WWDC, and maybe they could show off some of the new features coming in iOS 11 that will make it even more professional, but Apple hasn't announced much hardware then lately.

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.