Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
The Reduce Motion setting seems to get rid of all animations. it feels weird after getting so used to the animations.

I'm upset. I liked how it zoomed in and out. But I didn't like the background moving. So now I have to choose whether I want the zoom in and out/background moving. Or no zoom and no background movement.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I'm upset. I liked how it zoomed in and out. But I didn't like the background moving. So now I have to choose whether I want the zoom in and out/background moving. Or no zoom and no background movement.

Yea...I guess we eye candy lovers need to bombard apple now, huh?

Looks like haters whined to Apple and got it nixed. Now WE need to get it put back on the table. Sad to see it got no love, just a kill switch.

iOS 7 seems less exciting now...Just a skin...I had iOS 6 LOOKING just like iOS 7 via Jailbreak...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yea...I guess we eye candy lovers need to bombard apple now, huh?

Looks like haters whined to Apple and got it nixed. Now WE need to get it put back on the table. Sad to see it got no love, just a kill switch.

iOS 7 seems less exciting now...Just a skin...I had iOS 6 LOOKING just like iOS 7 via Jailbreak...
Perhaps you need to complain then (just don't be surprised about people complaining about your complaining given that it was happening quite a bit when those who didn't want animations for one reason or another--even quite valid physiological response reasons--were doing, and apparently for the right reasons given that Apple actually did something about it all, and fairly quickly too, in the span of how long it takes for some things to come about).

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
A slider would be an excellent idea to allow us control over the amount of motion as opposed to an all or nothing toggle.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
How do you figure that its faster? Seriously, am I missing something here? I dont find them any faster at all. Maybe by .0000000001 seconds. No but seriously what am I doing wrong?

I agree. It isn't any faster. It's the same speed. Except now you don't see them zooming on the screen, they just appear.

But it takes the same time.

----------

People do not understand that "Reduce Motion" means reduce motion, not reduce speed or reduce duration. It only reduces the MOTION of the transition, or in other words, the zooming effect (also parallax is motion too). As far as time, the fade transition takes just as long as the zoom transition, it is not any faster. Apple did not make the transitions faster with the 7.0.3 update.

What Apple SHOULD have done is allow the screen to be active during the transition itself, for example during the unlock fly-in transition. This is how it was in iOS 6, you unlock the phone and you can swipe the home screen WHILE the apps are flying into place. If they bring that to iOS 7, I think many people will be happier (myself included).

You hit the nail on the head!

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Perhaps you need to complain then (just don't be surprised about people complaining about your complaining given that it was happening quite a bit when those who didn't want animations for one reason or another--even quite valid physiological response reasons--were doing, and apparently for the right reasons given that Apple actually did something about it all, and fairly quickly too, in the span of how long it takes for some things to come about).

Im glad Apple added a kill switch for people that are puking from the animations...

But why leave out the rest of us? How many people, seriously, are puking from animations?

I thought that Apple was king...If they couldnt implement animations without stutter or farts and hiccups, then they shouldnt have done them at all.

Or, maybe, my phone is a dud? The best way to describe what my phone does is to compare it to what happens when you try to use SPOTLIGHT for the first time in some span of time...

1)Swipe to unlock: fart
2)Open weather: FART
3)Rotate screen with keyboard open: FART!!!
4) On going toots here and there.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I agree. It isn't any faster. It's the same speed. Except now you don't see them zooming on the screen, they just appear.

But it takes the same time.

----------

You hit the nail on the head!

It's faster.

For example, if I want to unlock, open messages, then open a folder, open an app on the second page of that folder, the. Open safari, I can complete that task multiple seconds faster than someone with animations on.

Try opening and closing multiple apps in succession and you'll see that it's faster.

One reason is that I can instantly interact with folders now. Before, if you swipe to change pages while the animation was drawing, it would snap you back to the first page. Now I can do it right away.

Also, the return to home iPad animation with a five finger pinch is back to how it used to be, very good news indeed.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
It's faster.

For example, if I want to unlock, open messages, then open a folder, open an app on the second page of that folder, the. Open safari, I can complete that task multiple seconds faster than someone with animations on.

Try opening and closing multiple apps in succession and you'll see that it's faster.

One reason is that I can instantly interact with folders now. Before, if you swipe to change pages while the animation was drawing, it would snap you back to the first page. Now I can do it right away.

Also, the return to home iPad animation with a five finger pinch is back to how it used to be, very good news indeed.

I can't tell if you're serious. All it is doing is REDUCING the animation. Not speeding anything up.

You're telling me everything is SO MUCH FASTER and all you're doing is reducing motion (enabling it)?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I can't tell if you're serious. All it is doing is REDUCING the animation. Not speeding anything up.

You're telling me everything is SO MUCH FASTER and all you're doing is reducing motion (enabling it)?

I am serious. The apps appear and are usable faster then before. Especially when unlocking the phone and opening folders. Also, apps immediately appear and I can start reading, processing, etc right away instead of waiting for the zoom to complete.

It's faster. End of story.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
Goodness, it reeks of Apple fanboy ism and placebo effects in this thread.... Sure "Reduce Motion" option being ON eliminates the animations we've come to know on iOS 7 but in exchange we get an awkward, just as slow "dissolve" animation. On top of that, this "fix" is still plagued with that "split second" delay which keeps the user from interacting with the next screen. It's safe to say that this fixed "Reduce Motion" option was only to cater to those who were getting "sick" with the animations and NOT for us that wanted that quick, fluid screen interaction some of us miss from iOS 6. Apple needs to "borrow" from Android again and bring the Developers options from that platform which would enable the user to adjust the animations to their liking.

Well said. You described it perfectly.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
iPad wall paper delay is improved but still there, and now has a pin wheel while you wait.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I am serious. The apps appear and are usable faster then before. Especially when unlocking the phone and opening folders. Also, apps immediately appear and I can start reading, processing, etc right away instead of waiting for the zoom to complete.

It's faster. End of story.

No it's not. End of story.

Fission

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
No it's not. End of story.

I just tried it and, yes you are correct. Reduce animations didn't reduce anything. Just killed the zooming. Took equal time to return to home and open settings.

I think people are suffering from placebo.

Edit: Now IM puking from this dissolve animation!

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California

Look harder, apps and windows don't zoom in and out like before. It just pretty much fades out like on previous iOS.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
People do not understand that "Reduce Motion" means reduce motion, not reduce speed or reduce duration. It only reduces the MOTION of the transition, or in other words, the zooming effect (also parallax is motion too). As far as time, the fade transition takes just as long as the zoom transition, it is not any faster. Apple did not make the transitions faster with the 7.0.3 update.

What Apple SHOULD have done is allow the screen to be active during the transition itself, for example during the unlock fly-in transition. This is how it was in iOS 6, you unlock the phone and you can swipe the home screen WHILE the apps are flying into place. If they bring that to iOS 7, I think many people will be happier (myself included).

On the money.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
Look harder, apps and windows don't zoom in and out like before. It just pretty much fades out like on previous iOS.

Not necessarily true. It's not like the fade in/out of iOS 6, which was pretty instantaneous and you could actually interact within the app or icons while in the process of it fading out or in.

In iOS 7.0.3 the fading in and out takes considerably longer, in some cases longer than the animation. For example, I have Safari set to open to favorites. With Reduce Motion enabled, it takes longer for my "Favorites" icons to appear (fade in) than it does when Reduced Motion is disabled. The zoom-in animation seems snappier in this instance than the fading in.

Reduced Motion in 7.0.3 really doesn't speed anything up and I'm sure that wasn't the purpose. Apple should just go back to the snappiness of iOS 6 for those that preferred it. Right now it just has that bloated feel.

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
Honestly I dont care to reduce motion. I like the animations flying in and out. So once they make that a little faster I will be happy.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
Honestly I dont care to reduce motion. I like the animations flying in and out. So once they make that a little faster I will be happy.

At the very least, I think it suits iOS 7 better than the slow fades in and out that were just introduced in this update. The slow fades just don't seem consistent and seamless with the rest of the OS. What I really prefer is the quick fading of iOS 6, where it was barely noticeable and never got in the way. You got to where you wanted in an instant.

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
At the very least, I think it suits iOS 7 better than the slow fades in and out that were just introduced in this update. The slow fades just don't seem consistent and seamless with the rest of the OS. What I really prefer is the quick fading of iOS 6, where it was barely noticeable and never got in the way. You got to where you wanted in an instant.

Yah I miss that too :/

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Not necessarily true. It's not like the fade in/out of iOS 6, which was pretty instantaneous and you could actually interact within the app or icons while in the process of it fading out or in.

In iOS 7.0.3 the fading in and out takes considerably longer, in some cases longer than the animation. For example, I have Safari set to open to favorites. With Reduce Motion enabled, it takes longer for my "Favorites" icons to appear (fade in) than it does when Reduced Motion is disabled. The zoom-in animation seems snappier in this instance than the fading in.

Reduced Motion in 7.0.3 really doesn't speed anything up and I'm sure that wasn't the purpose. Apple should just go back to the snappiness of iOS 6 for those that preferred it. Right now it just has that bloated feel.

I wish it was instant like 6 too, but whatever this is, I'll take it! The zooming was annoying the heck out of me.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I don't mind the new fade animation but I think the best "fix" would be to use the exact speed and duration of the animation in photos app. It utilizes the zoom animation but it is almost instantaneous. That would be my ideal preference.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
The new fade in & out animation is what my Palm Treo use be like on Palm OS Garnet in 2003.

Does not suit iOS at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.