Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Genre

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Where Can I go?

OK! I admit it I'm new to this. Where is the best place togo to see what happens tomorrow?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
I think Apple has to replace Mac Mini with something if they discontinue it.
Something priced between $700 and $900. How could they not sell any machines cheaper than MacBook? So I really don't care if Mini gets discontinued, as long as there's something cheaper than $1000 laptop or $1200 desktop available.

I agree-Apple needs a low-cost Mac:for those who want to switch from PC to Mac, and have a monitor already (perhaps screen-spanning on all iMacs as standard).

Rocketman

macrumors 603
MacRumors should have been invited!

I suspect it is more a matter of protocol as well as "audience size". Has Arn even registered with either the Press Association or Apple itself as "press"? I suspect not.

Has Arn even asked for an invitation to special events?

Apple regularly "uses" Macrumors to do trial balloons and misdirections. Apple benefits from the mostly honest and sligtly fanboy tone of this site and certainly must appreciate what little Arn has done on television re Apple.

Rocketman

http://www.apple.com/pr/contacts/

"If you are a journalist and unsure of your best contact, feel free to email the Media Helpline or call (408) 974-2042."

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
The advert seems tinily misaligned - unless that's normal?

Just looked at it again and I am sceptical. The text of the other two adverts below it is not as jpegged and blotchy as the relatively crisp type of the mac advert in question. So someone forgot to use the blur tool on the type after writing it themselves. Woah, I should have looked more carefully.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
OK! I admit it I'm new to this. Where is the best place togo to see what happens tomorrow?

If you come here MacRumors will probably be updating things as they see it. I'm pretty sure Engadget would've been invited, they're pretty good too.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
All Apple need to do to gain market share is make an affordable mac or one in a more appealing form factor.

Yes, I realise if you compare the any mac to a similar spec PC the mac might be cheaper but the problem is not everyone needs those specs...

Recently my neighbour needed a new laptop, I told him to get a Macbook. The problem is they start at £700 and you can get Acer laptops that do pretty much all he needs for £300. For him no matter how much I told him the mac was worth it the extra £400 in his pocket won out.

It's the same across the board. I just don't get why Apple don't try and fill these holes.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Just looked at it again and I am sceptical. The text of the other two adverts below it is not as jpegged and blotchy as the relatively crisp type of the mac advert in question. So someone forgot to use the blur tool on the type after writing it themselves. Woah, I should have looked more carefully.

or... you know, the font size is totally different?

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
(Picturing Steve walking on stage...)
"Good morning! Thanks for coming! Well... we've brought you all here to discuss one thing... Mac Software! You know... there is tons of new software out there, and.... " (Pictures everyone walking out!) :D

Replace "Mac Software" with "the iPhone" and that would be even more hilarious!

"Good morning! Thanks for coming! Well... unfortunately, I regret to announce that all the mac-related announcements you might have been expecting today have been delayed until next month. (People start booing) Relax guys... there's one more thing! We've brought you all here to discuss one thing and one thing only... the unprecedented success of my beloved iPhone! Let's take a look at..." (People shout profanity and stampede out the auditorium) :D :apple:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
All Apple need to do to gain market share is make an affordable mac or one in a more appealing form factor.

Yes, I realise if you compare the any mac to a similar spec PC the mac might be cheaper but the problem is not everyone needs those specs...

Recently my neighbour needed a new laptop, I told him to get a Macbook. The problem is they start at £700 and you can get Acer laptops that do pretty much all he needs for £300. For him no matter how much I told him the mac was worth it the extra £400 in his pocket won out.

It's the same across the board. I just don't get why Apple don't try and fill these holes.

Apple made about $850 million profit in the last quarter. Gateway made about 12 dollars and 26 cents profit in the same time frame. Does that explain it?

pattern

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Looks like we might be right about the touchscreen...

Mate what are you going to do with a 28 inch touchscreen? Its pretty ridiculous that people still think this is going to happen. Costs aside it is barely useful for anybody.

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
I dont see there being raid 0 in any of the machines or support for 2 hard drives
I have a feeling they are going to go for a slimmer design take the HDD's down to 2.5" SATA as for too long the iMacs have been stealing sales away from the MacPro

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Wow, I LOVE these prices! $200 less then the standard 24" version now, and that's before my EPP discount

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
Replace "Mac Software" with "the iPhone" and that would be even more hilarious!

"Good morning! Thanks for coming! Well... unfortunately, I regret to announce that all the mac-related announcements you might have been expecting today have been delayed until next month. (People start booing) Relax guys... there's one more thing! We've brought you all here to discuss one thing and one thing only... the unprecedented success of my beloved iPhone! Let's take a look at..." (People shout profanity and stampede out the auditorium) :D :apple:

ROTFL! lol. I never enven thought about that. I also see Phil and Johny Ive siting in the back, locking the doors!

Hopstretch

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
Wow, I LOVE these prices! $200 less then the standard 24" version now, and that's before my EPP discount
I just hope they aren't going to cripple the new high-end iMac to try and upsell power users to the Mac Pro. It seems a bit odd that the only price cut relative to the G5s would be at the very top of the line.

pattern

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
I just hope they aren't going to cripple the new high-end iMac to try and upsell power users to the Mac Pro. It seems a bit odd that the only price cut relative to the G5s would be at the very top of the line.

It can only be better than what they have now.

tackchevy

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
Looks like we might be right about the touchscreen...

Bah, hogwash. 24-28 inch touchscreen. Ba ha ha, maybe in 18 months they'll release that wall-size deal from Minority Report, and we'll all to wear those gloves to check email...

Nah, seriously though, they're just now putting out a little touchscreen and testing the waters with that... And wouldn't a 28-inch touchscreen cost a little more than 1,799?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
No speculation on what these new iMacs would give to us?

Assuming the new prices, it must be a substantial upgrade.
Not just 20" screen (got that now for that price), but will Apple go for Penryn chips?
Better grfx?

Will Apple make it so that the interior wil not be mobile, but desktop class?

How about the possibility of upgrading?
RAM (ofcourse)
Grfx (after market that is...)
HD (maybe even the option to add a 2nd HD.... RAID config, or Time Machine)

Can't wait! :apple:

freeman24

Aug 14, 2006
youre wrong, i think its 5pm (7 hours difference). still means ill have to wait until wednesday to go to bluewater to check out the new product/s!

Nope think your wrong :D , GMT is 5PM, BST(British Summer Time) its gonna be 6PM :cool:

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
Apple made about $850 million profit in the last quarter. Gateway made about 12 dollars and 26 cents profit in the same time frame. Does that explain it?

not really given Apple sell little white boxes of joy called iPods and secondly an affordable Computer from Apple would be a different prospect to one sold and marketed by "Gateway".

Apple want market share because that is where the profit is. How much did Microsoft make in the same quarter? ;-)

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007

That's a good point and was wondering why they would in fact be cheaper. Usually when a new version of something comes out (especially a computer) they tend to cost the same if not a lil bit more. I wonder how far the current iMacs will drop in price as a result of this. I would guess they wouldn't sell it for much more than $1499 (24") and about a $400-$500 price drop for the rest of the sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.