Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Has anybody compared the screen on the 41 mm s7 to the screen on the 44 mm s6? I'd love to have a screen that's basically the same size but with a smaller form factor.

I'd like to see this too. I'm really surprised that this comparison has not been published anywhere (that I've seen).

e0yjqo5x39t71.jpg

PSeg

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2021
maybe next year, the bezel will finally be gone and the AW8 will be full edge-to-edge screen?
I'd like to see a photo line-up of all the Apple Watch screen sizes since the beginning, including this new one.

• Haha
Reactions: diamornte

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
You gotta love the illusion that the screen has been increased by more than 1mm with how they have made the metal chassis wrap around the edge more.
It's funny that it also looks like the Watch is much thicker based on how the change in glass and screen meshes with the body, but they're actually the exact same depth, just slightly wider and taller.
Not sure exactly what you’re implying about how we look at people 100 years ago— If you’re referring to how “primitive” that age now appears to us… think about it this way:

The difference between the year 1300 and 1700 in terms of technological and cultural development was in many ways not even as great as the difference between, say, 1880 and today. Change is accelerating, and the next century is poised to see change at break-neck speed.

Only in the past 30 years was the internet developed. We’re now seeing the beginnings of automation, supercomputers that are on our person at all times, video conferencing, social media, augmented and virtual reality, robotics, self-driving/electric cars, commercial space flight, drones, usable jet packs and flying personal vehicles, nanotechnology, CRISPR, 3D printing, etc. etc… all these things and more are just in their infancy, and culture changes along with them. These technologies themselves will drive faster advancement. Most of these things could just barely even be imagined by people 100 years ago.

The next 100 years will (once again) see technological and social change unlike anything witnessed in human history. In other words, people looking back at us 100 years from now will see a society appearing even more distant than we see those 100 years ago.
The thing I always think about is that if someone lived a hundred years and was born in, say, 1880, they went from man using balloons and taking trains everywhere, to man walking on the moon, launching satellites into space, and flying around at hundreds of miles an hour as a normal middle-class way of travel.

I think the pace of tech has definitely accelerated, but at some point there is a limit to that pace (you simply can't develop and market new products faster, and too much change can be destabilizing) and I'm not sure it's ever going to be as much of a paradigm shift as it was in the 20th century.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
This is what I hate about reviews. Nobody reviews a product as is they review it compared to the previous version of the product. Just tell me is the series 7 a good product or not. I don’t care about it compared to the series 6. Also why are reviewers assuming everyone who might get a series 7 currently has a series 6? The same thing is done with iPhone reviews. Every 13/13 Pro review compares it to the 12/12 Pro as if the only people buying a new iPhone this year are 12/12 Pro owners. It’s so dumb.

Because most interested in a new product are familiar a bit with the current product sold. It gives a point of reference.

Most reviews I see usually give the disclaimer of not essential upgrade for current users and more of an upgrade for older devices. Heck that’s just common sense.

Do you really want to read reviews as if it’s a new product altogether?

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
This is why I ordered a series 7. Larger screen on such a tiny device is very much appreciated.

j_in_tx

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2018
in the old days, you buy a watch you like, and wear it for years and enjoy it. You don't change out the watch for a new watch just because they came out with a new design that has a bigger screen a few percent longer battery life.

So while I have disposable income and I could run out and buy this new watch, I think I'll hang onto my 5 longer, it works fine and I don't want to fall into the trap of upgrading for an incremental improvement that won't be easily noticeable. I don't look it at the watch thinking "man, I wish the screen was just 1mm bigger"

I will definitely make a change if they come out with a new form factor....if the watch feels like a completely new watch or design...that will actually get me excited.
I fell into the trap and can't escape. I don't see many refer to GAS in Apple world but have seen it in the camera/lens world. In case you don't know, it's Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

• Wow
Reactions: diamornte

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
don't discriminate against the 5's

I am currently using the series 5 myself, and I don’t really feel compelled to upgrade, since my current watch does everything I need it to. Always on display, siri, Apple Pay, unlocking my iphone, performance is smooth. Probably upgrade only when it feels too sluggish after one update too many, or Apple stops supporting it altogether.

Reactions: decypher44

MCUser_

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2021
Battery is what was keeping me away from buying one Apple Watch and with fast charging of this one I was so ready to buy one but damn the colors... I just want a plain silver watch to wear everyday. I guess another year without a smart watch.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
Last time I checked, a second has not had a duration change. So a faster watch still reflects seconds. Speed is not the issue. The iWatch is becoming a mini computer on the wrist as well as a telephone that can operate without the iPhone around. Wonder when it replaces the iPhone completely?

The only real issue is for the older folks that have issues seeing the tiny numbers and letters....

Due to impending extended foreign travel, we will order a small and a large aluminum v7 while out of the country that will get to our home shortly after we return. Can't use the iWatch cell telephone functions overseas without paying for that functionality as well the iPhone service.

Another good use for VPN that lands us in the USA for ordering Apple stuff.....

We have Verizon service on the sim in our iPhone 12 and 13 Pro Max phones and O2 (UK telephone provider) as the actual sim.

We will rough it with our good old Rolex watches (mine was purchased in 1967 and hers was purchased in 2002) They still do an excellent job of displaying the time, which after all is the function of a watch.

Last edited:

MCUser_

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2021
Sometimes I wonder what technology will look like 100 years from now. I hope we don't look like how we feel about the people 100 years ago...
Just think how old the cassette Walkman feels today... and its what 30-40sh years old?

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
So they decreased the black bezel a bit but increased the how for the metal bezel wraps up and around the screen. Looks like a cheap parlor trick to give the illusion that the screen is bigger than it really is. Meh....

j_in_tx

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2018
I am currently using the series 5 myself, and I don’t really feel compelled to upgrade, since my current watch does everything I need it to. Always on display, siri, Apple Pay, unlocking my iphone, performance is smooth. Probably upgrade only when it feels too sluggish after one update too many, or Apple stops supporting it altogether.
Yes, the 5 is perfectly fine. I'm getting a 7 because I have a new job and my benefits include a free health device. If I didn't have this benefit, I wouldn't be getting it. However, I might have considered buying a 7 and selling my 5 on ebay.

Reactions: Abazigal

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Looks amazing.

Unfortunately, only visible when using full-color, full screen watch faces and apps… (which suck up more battery btw).
Yep. I just realized this the other day with my 42mm S2 watch. The watch faces and most apps have a black background, so you can't tell where the screen starts and ends (can't see the bezels). The only time I've seen something full screen and notice the bezels would be when using the flashlight. I'll probably end up upgrading to the 41mm, but it'll be interesting to see if I really notice anything different even though it has a bigger screen.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
You gotta love the illusion that the screen has been increased by more than 1mm with how they have made the metal chassis wrap around the edge more.

Huh? You can clearly tell the S7 display is larger. Just fixate on the actual displays - the size difference is quite clear. Also, the mm refers to the height of the watch body, not the display. 1mm = 0.039in. Look at the diagrams below. The diagonal measurement of the S7 display has increased by 0.12in. (about 3mm) over the S6. That's pretty significant for a small display.

1634224614163.png

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
More watches can be sold if a trade in program were avaialble. Most people would not see the value of upgrading their watch, but every 2-3 years.
There is a trade-in program in place already. Has been for years, if I remember right.

Reactions: chabig

IphoneX9753

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
If you have a black background you will not notice a difference
I have been using "Infograph Modular" with the Accessibility grayscale function turned on for years on my SS S4. I see no reason to upgrade the average Joe on the street won't notice the difference and with my watchface and grayscale neither will I. Added benefit to this setup is increased battery life!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.