Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I've been on MR for a very long time. I've seen lots of mockup and fuzzy prototype and these are probably the most realistic looking ones I've ever seen.

Don't like them.

But they aren't half bad. Somewhat believable.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The SE uses the form factor/design language of the 5/5s, not the 4/4s. I believe this person wants an even smaller screen (no thanks, personally) and a glass back.

Lots of people are still in love with the 4/4s design and consider it the ultimate iPhone design of all time. I am not one of those people, but for them the SE is not the solution.

You're absolutely correct. The iPhone 4s was definitely a beloved iPhone during that era. And I also agree that display size was not for me. I can't imagine having a 3.5 display size in today's age. I barely adjusted to 4 Inch display size when I owned the SE.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm still not buying Touch ID on the back. It's just not ergonomic, and it doesn't seem like something Apple would do. Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

How would that even work as a home button? Pushing against the back with your index just wouldn't work. The thumb works because you're pushing the phone against your palm.
Because Apple would never make a product that wasn't ergonomic... I mean I'm with you, but I also wouldn't put it past them.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
May 2017: iPhone 8 dummies/renders all over the internet with TouchID on the back... majority of the iPhone fans:''No way, I am gonna buy that!"

September 2017: Keynote at the new Apple HQ T.Cook presents the AMAZING new OLED iPhone 8 with the innovative TouchID on the back....fast forward a few days after the Keynote: after 0,0004 seconds when the actual pre orders started; backordered for about 10 to 12 weeks.

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
the Black & Slate iPhone 5 = best looking iPhone to date

2012-09-30-11.07.52-ZS-DMap.jpg
My otter box commuter gives my 7+ that feel and squareness.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Is this sarcasm or do people really argue about who has a better cell phone.

Sometimes I get into it with my father in law. Also got into a debate with a sales guy at a Verizon store the other day. He thought there Apple was "bad" because he believed Apple was conspiring to hold back technology so they can give it out piecemeal to consumers. I tried to explain to him the scale at which Apple operates, and just because they can put, for example, an OLED screen in a phone, doesn't mean they can do it 200+ million times in year.
[doublepost=1495678328][/doublepost]
...and yet "It runs iOS" will still be the most important feature...

100% agreed. Same goes for OS X, erm MacOS.

Ryand6687

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2017

Though we're only four months away from the presumed launch of the "iPhone 8," we haven't seen any part leaks for the much-rumored OLED device nor have we seen parts for the two standard LCD iPhones that are said to accompany it.

With a lack of part leaks, we're relying on dummy units, design drawings, and design renders to give us an idea of what to expect from the device, and there's been no shortage of those leaks, many of which are somewhat confusing due to the fact that Apple tested several iPhone 8 prototypes.

This week, the first hands-on video featuring an alleged iPhone 8 dummy model surfaced. We already saw the dummy model in question in photographs back in April, but the video provides a better look at the device, and perhaps a better picture of what the iPhone 8 might look like if accurate.

This particular dummy device, said to be a CNC model, aligns with design drawings and rumors pointing towards an edge-to-edge display with a glass body encased in a shiny stainless steel frame. There is no Home button and no visible Touch ID sensor, suggesting it is built into the display, which would be in line with many rumors.

It features a dual-lens rear camera in a vertical orientation and it lacks an Apple logo, so it's not entirely clear if this is representative of the final design Apple settled on, but it does match up with a lot of the rumors we've heard. Alleged iPhone 8 design drawings and schematics that resemble this dummy suggest the iPhone will be thicker than the current iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

The dummy device in the video above represents one set of design drawings we've seen, but there's also a second set of design images that have circulated featuring an iPhone with an aluminum body and a rear Touch ID button underneath the Apple logo. The device with a rear Touch ID button is said to be one of the prototypes Apple tested as a fallback should an under-display Touch ID solution not pan out.

Rumors and leaks seem to be coalescing around the first iPhone 8 design without a rear Touch ID sensor, suggesting the images with the back Touch ID button are based on an outdated design that was perhaps scrapped. That it appears unlikely this design will be used in the iPhone 8 hasn't stopped one China-based company from creating an iPhone 8 clone based on the schematics and design drawings that have been circulating.

Leaker Benjamin Geskin this morning shared images of what he says is an iPhone 8 clone that was designed based on an early iPhone 8 prototype model. It features a front display with slim bezels, a vertical camera, an aluminum body in multiple colors, and a rear Touch ID sensor.

iphone8clone1-800x503.jpg

As a clone, this is not representative of what the real iPhone 8 will look like, but it provides an interesting glimpse at prototype design and what an iPhone with a rear Touch ID sensor might resemble.

iphone8clone2-800x503.jpg

With multiple prototypes in testing, the actual design of the iPhone 8 will remain unconfirmed and up in the air until we start to see legitimate part leaks. In past years, part leaks have started earlier than May, and their absence may suggest that Apple still has not settled on a finalized design.

For a complete overview of the iPhone 8 rumors and a better picture of what we expect to see included in the overhauled device, make sure to check out our iPhone 8 roundup. It goes into much greater detail on the different design prototypes and it includes information on all of the internal features we expect, like advanced biometrics (facial or iris recognition), an A11 processor, wireless charging, a new front-facing camera system, and more.

Article Link: New iPhone 8 Dummy Video Surfaces as Third-Party Companies Start Developing Clones
[doublepost=1495678420][/doublepost]

Though we're only four months away from the presumed launch of the "iPhone 8," we haven't seen any part leaks for the much-rumored OLED device nor have we seen parts for the two standard LCD iPhones that are said to accompany it.

With a lack of part leaks, we're relying on dummy units, design drawings, and design renders to give us an idea of what to expect from the device, and there's been no shortage of those leaks, many of which are somewhat confusing due to the fact that Apple tested several iPhone 8 prototypes.

This week, the first hands-on video featuring an alleged iPhone 8 dummy model surfaced. We already saw the dummy model in question in photographs back in April, but the video provides a better look at the device, and perhaps a better picture of what the iPhone 8 might look like if accurate.

This particular dummy device, said to be a CNC model, aligns with design drawings and rumors pointing towards an edge-to-edge display with a glass body encased in a shiny stainless steel frame. There is no Home button and no visible Touch ID sensor, suggesting it is built into the display, which would be in line with many rumors.

It features a dual-lens rear camera in a vertical orientation and it lacks an Apple logo, so it's not entirely clear if this is representative of the final design Apple settled on, but it does match up with a lot of the rumors we've heard. Alleged iPhone 8 design drawings and schematics that resemble this dummy suggest the iPhone will be thicker than the current iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

The dummy device in the video above represents one set of design drawings we've seen, but there's also a second set of design images that have circulated featuring an iPhone with an aluminum body and a rear Touch ID button underneath the Apple logo. The device with a rear Touch ID button is said to be one of the prototypes Apple tested as a fallback should an under-display Touch ID solution not pan out.

Rumors and leaks seem to be coalescing around the first iPhone 8 design without a rear Touch ID sensor, suggesting the images with the back Touch ID button are based on an outdated design that was perhaps scrapped. That it appears unlikely this design will be used in the iPhone 8 hasn't stopped one China-based company from creating an iPhone 8 clone based on the schematics and design drawings that have been circulating.

Leaker Benjamin Geskin this morning shared images of what he says is an iPhone 8 clone that was designed based on an early iPhone 8 prototype model. It features a front display with slim bezels, a vertical camera, an aluminum body in multiple colors, and a rear Touch ID sensor.

As a clone, this is not representative of what the real iPhone 8 will look like, but it provides an interesting glimpse at prototype design and what an iPhone with a rear Touch ID sensor might resemble.

iphone8clone2-800x503.jpg

With multiple prototypes in testing, the actual design of the iPhone 8 will remain unconfirmed and up in the air until we start to see legitimate part leaks. In past years, part leaks have started earlier than May, and their absence may suggest that Apple still has not settled on a finalized design.

For a complete overview of the iPhone 8 rumors and a better picture of what we expect to see included in the overhauled device, make sure to check out our iPhone 8 roundup. It goes into much greater detail on the different design prototypes and it includes information on all of the internal features we expect, like advanced biometrics (facial or iris recognition), an A11 processor, wireless charging, a new front-facing camera system, and more.

Article Link: New iPhone 8 Dummy Video Surfaces as Third-Party Companies Start Developing Clones
You'll realize that that is Photoshop right? Look at the placement of the flash. Someone took some seven pluses, and swung at the horizontal camera down vertically, then just added the button. I'm not a Photoshop pro but come on, that part is super obvious

is1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
NO WAY I WILL BUY AN IPHONE WITH TOUCH ID IN THE BACK. JUST NOOO.

APPLE ARE YOU READING ME????

I'm honestly curious. Those that don't like the touch ID on the back, have you tried using a phone with it? For at least a day or so? Or is this just a blind jump? For those that criticize it, I find it the most natural placement for easy unlock. It is the one thing I wish my S7 had (although the placement on the s8 is keeping me away). I do agree a physical front home button is nice to have, but the fingerprint sensor in the back is awesome. If anything it brings me one step closer to coming back to iOS.

If you have tried it, and don't like it, I would love to hear why. Or do people just not want it because it is "an android thing". If people could explain more to their responses, that would be great.

Reactions: Geert76

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I made this to show what I mean.

The last time the iPhone "looked" different was the iPhone 5S.

tumblr_oqhj6aHMBo1vvmzgeo1_1280.jpg

The front will have almost no bezels, no other iPhone looks like that. The back has no antenna lines and is a completely solid color with a vertical camera alignment, no other iPhone looks like that. Again I ask, what are you seeing?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
May 2017: iPhone 8 dummies/renders all over the internet with TouchID on the back... majority of the iPhone fans:''No way, I am gonna buy that!"

September 2017: Keynote at the new Apple HQ T.Cook presents the AMAZING new OLED iPhone 8 with the innovative TouchID on the back....fast forward a few days after the Keynote: after 0,0004 seconds when the actual pre orders started; backordered for about 10 to 12 weeks.

I can hear the Jony Ive video right now... "We moved the Touch ID to the back of the phone. It's so natural... so unapologetically simple... right where you rest your finger... it becomes an extension of the human finger itself." Apple fans cheer this decision after Jony explains it.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
No LED indicator light??? NO DEAL.

Jokes aside, I believe this is horse hockey (wanted to use that saying for a while now). I believe the turned dual camera, but the touch id on the back doesn't make sense. Maybe touch ID gets integrated into the power button from the other leak where the power button was elongated.

I really hope we get edge to edge display and the top and bottom bezels shrink too. They need to come close to what samsung offers in screen real estate (or i guess what LG G6 offers).

Again, think about cases. Would it really apple's MO to have a back cut out for every case made to account for the touch id? Now that I type this, I may be eating my words come september.

Regardless, my wallet is ready Apple. However, if this doesn't impress me, Samsung will be getting my monies.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I'm still not buying Touch ID on the back. It's just not ergonomic, and it doesn't seem like something Apple would do. Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

How would that even work as a home button? Pushing against the back with your index just wouldn't work. The thumb works because you're pushing the phone against your palm.

The home button will be a virtual button on the front in the same spot.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
I'm sorry but I like my physical home button.
  • I also like place to rest my thumb when holding the device.
  • This will cramp your hand and make it awkward to hold.

Hoping this doesn't happen:

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like the Touch ID on the back. I've used a few Android devices with the same layout and I find it very easy to use (especially for one-hand usage on 5.5" - or bigger - devices).

I'd like to see the "Touch ID behind the screen" feature, mostly because it's so "high-tech", but I admit that having it on the back of the phone would probably be more practical for users and less costly to manufacture.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
Well, you can expect this atrocious design to come from the same teams that made these:

a7fc49f29d06ab2d189b38791c95dc13.jpg

Guys, this is your new iPhone 8 design. Like it or not, I can see millions pull out their wallet regardless of how ugly it looks. Apple is still superior in terms of quality and product support bar none.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
the Black & Slate iPhone 5 = best looking iPhone to date
I agree, if they just made it look like that with an edge to edge OLED screen with in-screen fingerprint reader, I'd be super happy with it. Having it be a little thicker makes it easier to grip, eliminates the protruding camera hump, and yields better batter life. Love the iPhone 4/5 design and it was also really comfortable in the hand. iPhone 4S is still my favorite iPhone I ever owned (I had iPhone 1, 3GS, 4S, 6S+).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.