Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Question: what would you do, or suggest?

I purchased a brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max thru Apple on Friday (3 days ago); I picked it up on Saturday at my local Apple Store, and put in in a nice BullStrap leather case & screen protector right away (I protect my equipment like one of my children) - before I even left the Apple Store.

The Bullstrap leather has a rear camera bump, but hardly has any lip above the rear cameras. I wouldn't buy another one of these cases. [EDIT for clarity]

Yesterday I was out on the town, and unfortunate fate had the iPhone slip from my hands as I was taking a photo - and landed backside onto the concrete sidewalk, to scuff the top-left rear camera lens (see attached photos).

There is also now a very tiny hairline scratch on that camera lens also, just off-center of the sensor area itself.

I'm OCD and lost sleep last night about it. lol

If I purchased AppleCare+ right now, I am in the USA, is there any way that this might be covered with AppleCare+ as an accidental damage?

OR - could I just offer to pay outright for a camera lens replacement?

I don't think the Apple Store would take it as a return or an exchange, right?
IMG_0145.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

I purchased a brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max thru Apple on Friday (3 days ago); I picked it up on Saturday at my local Apple Store, and put in in a nice BullStrap leather case & screen protector right away (I protect my equipment like one of my children) - before I even left the Apple Store.

The Bullstrap leather has a rear camera bump, but hardly has any lip camera above the rear cameras.

Yesterday I was out on the town, and unfortunate fate had the iPhone slip from my hands as I was taking a photo - and landed backside onto the concrete sidewalk, to scuff the top-left rear camera lens (see attached photos).

There is also now a very tiny hairline scratch on that camera lens also, just off-center of the sensor area itself.

If I purchased AppleCare+ right now, I am in the USA, is there any way that this might be covered with AppleCare+ as an accidental damage?

I don't think the Apple Store would take it as a return or an exchange, right?

You still have time to purchase Apple Care in case you didn’t.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No.

From that page:

• AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1).

No again. Apple is not a repair shop, they are a manufacturer that offers replacement or repair for defective or damaged devices that meet their threshold of damage.

Allowing people to just show up and pay for every little ding, dent or scratch would open the floodgates and overwhelm their tech staff. That's what third party repair shops are for.

I don't think the Apple Store would take it as a return or an exchange, right? View attachment 2296506
Probably not.

You asked for a suggestion…get Applecare. Smash or otherwise damage the phone sufficiently to require replacement. Get it replaced.

Ethical no. Solution, yes.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
It's cosmetic so it's up to Apple if they want to do anything about it. Unless it affects the functionality then they are well within their rights to refuse you even with AC+

By the looks of it, the damage shouldn't affect photo/video quality because it doesn't actually cover the lenses.

Also, it's up to you, but I'am sure Apple records things like drops so I guess you could try buy AC+ and chance your luck but they might refuse you and demand you take it to a store for inspection.

Maybe be more careful with your phone. I don't think this warrants a replacement/fix. If you wanted it fixed they would need to replace the entire back glass. If you are having any issues with camera quality then they will probably replace or fix it for you but as far as I can tell it's only cosmetic.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Ugh I don't even like contemplating that thought; but I get what you are saying.

Damn.
If you are like me and have OCD about minor cosmetic damage, you can use a camera lens protector to conceal the damage as it’ll place a black ring around the lens. I placed one on my iPhone 13 when I purchased it and it doesn’t affect camera quality if applied properly.

IMG_1690.jpeg

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It sucks because it's so new, but in the end it's just a phone and you'll eventually get another.

Regarding trying to get a replacement, I'd recommend against. Karma's a real bitch so if somehow ended up with a replacement, that one might suffer an even more sleepless-night fate!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The rear glass panel on the 15PM is replaceable so if you want to pay to have it done I'm sure it's possible to repair. Whether or not Apple has replacement rear panels available yet is another story. You would have to go to an Apple store and inquire about repair options to know for sure. The damage doesn't look like it would effect picture quality and while unfortunate due to it age, you might just leave it as is for awhile until replacement rear panels are readily available

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I was so thrilled to get a Bullstrap leather case, since my old Apple leather standby is no longer available.

But now I'm angry that Bullstrap gives very little lip/coverage to the rear cameras, and the leather is not grippy.

GRRR

Will not be buying another Bullstrap case again, unless they improve them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If you are like me and have OCD about minor cosmetic damage, you can use a camera lens protector to conceal the damage as it’ll place a black ring around the lens. I placed one on my iPhone 13 when I purchased it and it doesn’t affect camera quality if applied properly.

I do have an AmFilm tempered glass screen protector, with rear camera protectors, expected delivery today.

Too late to have protected my new phone from these nicks, but at least going forward I will protect better.

I'm really bummed out; this phone was a gift from my mom.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Get Applecare+, wait a couple of weeks then 'accidental' drop your iphone 15 in front of the car and have it run over it.

Ethical: No but apparently people do it all the time (so I have heard)

• Love
Reactions: NervousFish2

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I do have an AmFilm tempered glass screen protector, with rear camera protectors, expected delivery today.

Too late to have protected my new phone from these nicks, but at least going forward I will protect better.

I'm really bummed out; this phone was a gift from my mom.
I hope the nicks are concealed once you’ve applied your new lens protector.

I wouldn’t be too bummed about it as it’s very minor damage which should hopefully become invisible soon. It was a genuine accident as you did do a good job of reasonably protecting your phone as you have a screen protector and case. I would be displeased with the Bullstrap case also as the lip should be raised enough to prevent lens damage. That’s the fault of the manufacturer, not you.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Get Applecare+, wait a couple of weeks then 'accidental' drop your iphone 15 in front of the car and have it run over it.

Ethical: No but apparently people do it all the time (so I have heard)
Not worth doing for extremely minor cosmetic damage which should become concealed with a lens protector.

I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night knowing I destroyed an iPhone 15 Pro Max, which is Apple’s true flagship, when there are so many people suffering from poverty.

Only an a******* would do that.

The cost of Apple Care+ and the replacement charge would also not be financially worth it either for a such a scuff.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Front of the lens glass element scratches rarely affect picture quality. So it's just cosmetic. Which, like others have said, wouldn't be covered by AC+

lenningj

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2023

View attachment 2296534
What case is that? and where did you get your lens cover from?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

View attachment 2296534
But for me, I would occasionally get myself reminded that there’s a scuff at that spot, and only got it covered by a lens cover, instead of being repaired or whatnot.

As such, I don’t use cases. Used to, but not anymore.

To OP, if you are still within the AppleCare purchase period, you can try to get one on that iPhone online. It should go through without much fuss, and later on something worse happens and Apple replaces your phone, that scuff would also go away.

Reactions: phillytim

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
What case is that? and where did you get your lens cover from?
It’s a JETech case from Amazon. The camera lens protector is also from Amazon… it’s a popular design so you’ll be able to see it by searching for one.

Reactions: lenningj

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'd say still get AppleCare+ then if you have anything else happen to the phone you'll be covered and they would likely swap the device or replace the camera lenses anyways. I have a camera protector on my 15Pro that came with the case I bought from Amazon. It seems like it doesn't affect picture quality and it is nice to have additional protection. I'm also less nervous cleaning the outside of the protector vs. cleaning the actual lenses. Scratch the protector - NBD. Scratch the lens - BD.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
But for me, I would occasionally get myself reminded that there’s a scuff at that spot, and only got it covered by a lens cover, instead of being repaired or whatnot.

As such, I don’t use cases. Used to, but not anymore.

To OP, if you are still within the AppleCare purchase period, you can try to get one on that iPhone online. It should go through without much fuss, and later on something worse happens and Apple replaces your phone, that scuff would also go away.
If you don’t use a case you’ll highly likely end up with scratches anyway as accidents are more than likely to happen over a 2 year span.

Almost every phone I’ve seen that is used naked has some kind of damage to it, even if it’s minor cosmetic damage. Most people who use a naked phone baby it until damage is sustained and then they don’t bother with it as much as the device is no longer perfect.

The phones look lovely when you take them out the box and use them for the first month or so. That all ends when the phone accidentally slips from your hand and ends up with scuffs, scrapes, dinks and chips around the sides.

That’s why I have always used a case.

I am typing this message using a 6S from 2016 which has always been in a case & has a screen protector. It’s physically immaculate and still looks brand new. No babying required.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you don’t use a case you’ll highly likely end up with scratches anyway as accidents are more than likely to happen over a 2 year span.
While I agree this is the case, I just find myself can’t be bothered to use a case again, as the corner scratch happened anyway on my previous iPhone XS Max with case after some 2 years of use.

Once one used to see the scratches, one less likely to care.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

The Bullstrap leather has a rear camera bump, but hardly has any lip above the rear cameras. I wouldn't buy another one of these cases. [EDIT for clarity]

I don't think the Apple Store would take it as a return or an exchange, right? View attachment 2296506
How did you pay for it? A lot of credit cards offer 90 day damage protection. Chase Sapphire/Amex to name two.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.