Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
While I agree this is the case, I just find myself can’t be bothered to use a case again, as the corner scratch happened anyway on my previous iPhone XS Max with case after some 2 years of use.

Once one used to see the scratches, one less likely to care.
It is absolutely a personal decision.

I have used cases since 2016 and have owned a 6S, OGSE, 8, 12 Mini and 13 and all of those phones are immaculate and genuinely look brand new despite each being well used. I have posted pictures of them on this forum. My personal belief is that there is probably an 80% chance, with care and maintenance, that you can keep your phone pristine when there is a case on it.

There are exceptions, obviously, where freak accidents or severe accidents can result in damage no matter what attempt you take to mitigate it.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Question: what would you do, or suggest?

I purchased a brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max thru Apple on Friday (3 days ago); I picked it up on Saturday at my local Apple Store, and put in in a nice BullStrap leather case & screen protector right away (I protect my equipment like one of my children) - before I even left the Apple Store.

The Bullstrap leather has a rear camera bump, but hardly has any lip above the rear cameras. I wouldn't buy another one of these cases. [EDIT for clarity]

Yesterday I was out on the town, and unfortunate fate had the iPhone slip from my hands as I was taking a photo - and landed backside onto the concrete sidewalk, to scuff the top-left rear camera lens (see attached photos).

There is also now a very tiny hairline scratch on that camera lens also, just off-center of the sensor area itself.

I'm OCD and lost sleep last night about it. lol

If I purchased AppleCare+ right now, I am in the USA, is there any way that this might be covered with AppleCare+ as an accidental damage?

OR - could I just offer to pay outright for a camera lens replacement?

I don't think the Apple Store would take it as a return or an exchange, right? View attachment 2296506
I would immediately walk in to the Apple Store and tell them what happened. See what they say. They know you could still buy AC+ so they might just change out the phone, easy-peasy.

Reactions: bevsb2 and LinkRS

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Question: what would you do, or suggest?

I purchased a brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max thru Apple on Friday (3 days ago); I picked it up on Saturday at my local Apple Store, and put in in a nice BullStrap leather case & screen protector right away (I protect my equipment like one of my children) - before I even left the Apple Store.

The Bullstrap leather has a rear camera bump, but hardly has any lip above the rear cameras. I wouldn't buy another one of these cases. [EDIT for clarity]

Yesterday I was out on the town, and unfortunate fate had the iPhone slip from my hands as I was taking a photo - and landed backside onto the concrete sidewalk, to scuff the top-left rear camera lens (see attached photos).

There is also now a very tiny hairline scratch on that camera lens also, just off-center of the sensor area itself.

I'm OCD and lost sleep last night about it. lol

If I purchased AppleCare+ right now, I am in the USA, is there any way that this might be covered with AppleCare+ as an accidental damage?

OR - could I just offer to pay outright for a camera lens replacement?

I don't think the Apple Store would take it as a return or an exchange, right? View attachment 2296506
To me it looks like the lens is unscathed and that it's just the black metal ring around the lens that is scuffed. So it really is just an aesthetic and not a functional problem.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I would immediately walk in to the Apple Store and tell them what happened. See what they say. They know you could still buy AC+ so they might just change out the phone, easy-peasy.

I purchased AC+ a couple of hours ago.

I'm afraid to go in Apple and tell them what happened, as they will probably document it - and not ever cover it, right?

Does that change your scenario?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

I'm afraid to go in Apple and tell them what happened, as they will probably document it - and not ever cover it, right?

They won’t cover it. I have proven in the past with screenshots of Apple’s T&C that they DO NOT cover cosmetic damage. If they did cover cosmetic damage, the service would cost 10x as much as everyone would be getting a new phone every time their device sustained a scratch. The entire service would not be viable if that were the case.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
They won’t cover it. I have proven in the past with screenshots of Apple’s T&C that they DO NOT cover cosmetic damage. If they did cover cosmetic damage, the service would cost 10x as much as everyone would be getting a new phone every time their device sustained a scratch. The entire service would not be viable if that were the case.
While I never experienced it, I would have to imagine them having to draw a line somewhere or else it would be chaos with people with cosmetic issues coming in. Just here in Macrumors, people would be going out of their way to find very small imperfections only visible in certain lighting on phones using the service.

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
While I never experienced it, I would have to imagine them having to draw a line somewhere or else it would be chaos with people with cosmetic issues coming in. Just here in Macrumors, people would be going out of their way to find very small imperfections only visible in certain lighting on phones using the service.

• AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1)

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013

It doesn't hurt to try but you are likely SOL on this one unfortunately.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Accidental Damage is accidental damage. My wife bought a pair of $400 Prescription Ray-Bans. She dropped them which bent the metal nose bridge. She filed a claim with Amex, and Amex reimbursed her for accidental damage.
This is a Catch-22. Let's say your credit card covers accidental damage, but Apple says that it's COSMETIC damage and won't replace the phone. Where do you go? Your CC company won't reimburse you until there is an actual repair/replacement.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
They might/could document it. But you're paying for AC+. If you meet their threshold (eventually) of damage that affects functionality they are bound to repair/replace.

Doesn't matter how you arrive there or what they think. You could walk in with a perfect device, slam it down on the floor and then walk out with a replacement. Because you're paying for the service.

You'll be charged of course for the replacement - but they cannot deny you a service you are paying for.

Reactions: phillytim

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This is a Catch-22. Let's say your credit card covers accidental damage, but Apple says that it's COSMETIC damage and won't replace the phone. Where do you go? Your CC company won't reimburse you until there is an actual repair/replacement.
Not necessarily. Amex requested photos of the damage to the glasses and reimbursed us. Never had to send them in for repair, inspection or replacement. The entire value was credited to the card and my wife purchased a new pair. This is not warranty protection, it's straight damage protection. No contact with Apple is required.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I'm a little shocked no one said the obvious thing—you bought it 3 days ago, so you are within 14 days, so you have a no questions asked return policy.

Return it. And get your AppleCare refunded, and apply it to the one you get to replace it.

Is there some reason no one suggested the most obvious thing??

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Get Applecare+, wait a couple of weeks then 'accidental' drop your iphone 15 in front of the car and have it run over it.

Ethical: No but apparently people do it all the time (so I have heard)
Excusing unethical/dishonest behavior just because you think “people do it all the time” is wrong, and you should be ashamed for trying to influence someone to bad judgement.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm a little shocked no one said the obvious thing—you bought it 3 days ago, so you are within 14 days, so you have a no questions asked return policy.

Return it. And get your AppleCare refunded, and apply it to the one you get to replace it.

Is there some reason no one suggested the most obvious thing??
You cannot return damaged goods. Must be in like new condition. Apple will inspect the device and refuse the return.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
You cannot return damaged goods. Must be in like new condition. Apple will inspect the device and refuse the return.

I know, from personal experience, that this is not true. Certainly not true in all cases. I have seen chipped and shattered phones returned—the 14 days is short, but in my experience very broad.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I know, from personal experience, that this is not true. Certainly not true in all cases. I have seen chipped and shattered phones returned—the 14 days is short, but in my experience very broad.
I have never once returned an Apple product without a thorough inspection. Didn't matter if it was an iPad or an Apple Watch band. The contents of the box were opened and reviewed prior to accepting the return. Maybe your store(s) is/are more relaxed than my local stores.

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
You can always accidentally smash it into the concrete and use AppleCare that way

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
No.

From that page:

• AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1).

No again. Apple is not a repair shop, they are a manufacturer that offers replacement or repair for defective or damaged devices that meet their threshold of damage.

Allowing people to just show up and pay for every little ding, dent or scratch would open the floodgates and overwhelm their tech staff. That's what third party repair shops are for.

Probably not.

You asked for a suggestion…get Applecare. Smash or otherwise damage the phone sufficiently to require replacement. Get it replaced.

Ethical no. Solution, yes.
Had something similar myself, dented the steel band. Apple replaced it under Applecare+, no questions asked… I did use the express exchange that Apple offers in Europe.

Reactions: highdefjunkie

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not necessarily. Amex requested photos of the damage to the glasses and reimbursed us. Never had to send them in for repair, inspection or replacement. The entire value was credited to the card and my wife purchased a new pair. This is not warranty protection, it's straight damage protection. No contact with Apple is required.

They reimbursed you for the purchase of a new pair of glasses is what you are saying? So the originals were not returned for repair or replacement then, you just bought a new pair and sent Amex pictures of the damage to the old pair.

So, if we apply this here then, OP just buys a new phone, shows the damage of the old phone and gets reimbursed for purchased of the new phone.

Do I have that correctly?

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I have never once returned an Apple product without a thorough inspection. Didn't matter if it was an iPad or an Apple Watch band. The contents of the box were opened and reviewed prior to accepting the return. Maybe your store(s) is/are more relaxed than my local stores.

You're misunderstanding—it's not a deception. In the cases where it happened, two of them, the user had terrible luck in the first days of having the phone(s). Apple saw the damage, and the representative at the store made the decision to take them back and replace them. The 14 day return policy is really strong, and if it is within that window, my experience is that Apple would like you to be happy.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA

I think AC+ was a good investment, regardless of how this turns out. The damage doesn’t look like it will affect the function of the camera system, so I don’t know how Apple would determine the necessity of a repair/replacement. I would probably ask Apple and check with my credit card to get opinions. If it were me, my concern would be if the affected camera lens is compromised — so this is the question I would ask.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
They reimbursed you for the purchase of a new pair of glasses is what you are saying? So the originals were not returned for repair or replacement then, you just bought a new pair and sent Amex pictures of the damage to the old pair.

So, if we apply this here then, OP just buys a new phone, shows the damage of the old phone and gets reimbursed for purchased of the new phone.

Do I have that correctly?
Opposite. We filed a claim. They requested photos of the damage. They credited the credit card for the purchase price of the glasses. My wife then chose to re-purchase the glasses as she wanted a new pair, free from damage. There is no stipulation or requirement that you must purchase a new product with the claimed credit.

If we apply it here (which his American Express card covers up to $1,000 in damage). He can submit a claim. The device was $1199+. Amex will request photos of the damage and then decide to immediately cut him a credit for up to $1,000. He can then use said credit to repair his phone, if he so chooses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.