Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Opposite. We filed a claim. They requested photos of the damage. They credited the credit card for the purchase price of the glasses. My wife then chose to re-purchase the glasses as she wanted a new pair, free from damage. There is no stipulation or requirement that you must purchase a new product with the claimed credit.

If we apply it here (which his American Express card covers up to $1,000 in damage). He can submit a claim. The device was $1199+. Amex will request photos of the damage and then decide to immediately cut him a credit for up to $1,000. He can then use said credit to repair his phone, if he so chooses.
OK, got it.

Just one little quibble, and perhaps it is down to semantics, IDK. You state OP can the use said credit to repair his phone. But if Apple determines the damage is cosmetic, they will not repair the phone. So, OP would have to buy a new phone.

I'm not questioning that Amex or any other CC card will extend credit or reimburse. But this requires Apple to play along. Otherwise, OP would just have to buy new (or used) or take the phone to a repair shop.

But the iPhone 15 being brand new I can't imagine taking it to a repair shop.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
OK, got it.

Just one little quibble, and perhaps it is down to semantics, IDK. You state OP can the use said credit to repair his phone. But if Apple determines the damage is cosmetic, they will not repair the phone. So, OP would have to buy a new phone.

I'm not questioning that Amex or any other CC card will extend credit or reimburse. But this requires Apple to play along. Otherwise, OP would just have to buy new (or used) or take the phone to a repair shop.

But the iPhone 15 being brand new I can't imagine taking it to a repair shop.
Apple will pretty much always repair your phone if you are willing to pay out of pocket for it as an OOW. Which in this case would be $699. The distinction of cosmetic vs. physical only really comes into play when it comes to AC+ coverage. AC+ does not cover cosmetic, so any repair would be a OOW cost and not AC deductible.

I was in a similar position with an Apple Watch. Dropped it but the screen did not shatter. Apple would not do a $69 AC+ replacement, but said that I could pay $249 for an OOW replacement. I declined.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple will pretty much always repair your phone if you are willing to pay out of pocket for it as an OOW. Which in this case would be $699. The distinction of cosmetic vs. physical only really comes into play when it comes to AC+ coverage. AC+ does not cover cosmetic, so any repair would be a OOW cost and not AC deductible.

I was in a similar position with an Apple Watch. Dropped it but the screen did not shatter. Apple would not do a $69 AC+ replacement, but said that I could pay $249 for an OOW replacement. I declined.
OK, but that is a replacement. And the OoW price has typically been provided as a courtesy because Apple is getting the damaged device in return.

But the OoW price is not for a repair. OP is not going to get his original device back with a new camera lens. So the option here is either denied AC+ or an OoW replacement. Just as what was offered with your watch.

There is no repair anywhere in this equation because the damage does not rise to a level to warrant repair and the OoW price is for replacement only.

My point here is that Apple will not repair cosmetic damage.

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
Doesn't Apple Care+ with Theft and Lost cover accidental damage?

Per Apple:

AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss is an insurance policy covering you during the policy period for repairs or replacement of your covered iPhone in the event of theft, loss, accidental damage or battery depletion and it gives priority access to telephone technical support from Apple.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Question: what would you do, or suggest?

I purchased a brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max thru Apple on Friday (3 days ago); I picked it up on Saturday at my local Apple Store, and put in in a nice BullStrap leather case & screen protector right away (I protect my equipment like one of my children) - before I even left the Apple Store.

The Bullstrap leather has a rear camera bump, but hardly has any lip above the rear cameras. I wouldn't buy another one of these cases. [EDIT for clarity]

Yesterday I was out on the town, and unfortunate fate had the iPhone slip from my hands as I was taking a photo - and landed backside onto the concrete sidewalk, to scuff the top-left rear camera lens (see attached photos).

There is also now a very tiny hairline scratch on that camera lens also, just off-center of the sensor area itself.

I'm OCD and lost sleep last night about it. lol

If I purchased AppleCare+ right now, I am in the USA, is there any way that this might be covered with AppleCare+ as an accidental damage?

OR - could I just offer to pay outright for a camera lens replacement?

I don't think the Apple Store would take it as a return or an exchange, right? View attachment 2296506
Unless damages affect iPhone functionality, I believe Apple will not repair it on Apple Care +. That is my understanding. Also, getting Apple Care + after incidents are not right.

Reactions: Lyrics23

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
If you are like me and have OCD about minor cosmetic damage, you can use a camera lens protector to conceal the damage as it’ll place a black ring around the lens. I placed one on my iPhone 13 when I purchased it and it doesn’t affect camera quality if applied properly.

View attachment 2296534
I bought glass screen protectors for my new 15 Pro, with camera protectors, and they went on right after the phone came out of the box.

Reactions: Andeddu

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Doesn't Apple Care+ with Theft and Lost cover accidental damage?

Per Apple:

AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss is an insurance policy covering you during the policy period for repairs or replacement of your covered iPhone in the event of theft, loss, accidental damage or battery depletion and it gives priority access to telephone technical support from Apple.
The question here is actually regarding cosmetic damage that does not affect the functionality of the device. OP dropped their phone and scratched it up, but aside from that the device is fully functional.

Was it an accident and therefore received accidental damage? Yes. Was that damage sufficient to cause the device to stop functioning correctly? No. That makes the damage cosmetic, event though it is accidental.

And AFAIK, Apple won't cover cosmetic damage even if it's accidental.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
At the end of the day, the OP just needs to go in and try. Everyone can chime in here on various opinions, but the only one that matters is what the genius thinks who will ultimately authorize the service.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
SIDE QUESTION: does replacing the back glass also include new camera lenses, or are the camera lenses separate from the back glass?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm actually surprised that the camera lens chipped on the flat sidewalk, as I have the Bullstrap leather case on - even though the rear camera lip seems to at least be even with the rear lenses.

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
The question here is actually regarding cosmetic damage that does not affect the functionality of the device. OP dropped their phone and scratched it up, but aside from that the device is fully functional.

Was it an accident and therefore received accidental damage? Yes. Was that damage sufficient to cause the device to stop functioning correctly? No. That makes the damage cosmetic, event though it is accidental.

And AFAIK, Apple won't cover cosmetic damage even if it's accidental.
Thank you for clarifying.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Probably not.

You asked for a suggestion…get Applecare. Smash or otherwise damage the phone sufficiently to require replacement. Get it replaced.

Ethical no. Solution, yes.
One time a family member scratched their screen enough to be noticeable but not enough to trigger AppleCare and the employee heavily implied they should go outside and do this.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
One time a family member scratched their screen enough to be noticeable but not enough to trigger AppleCare and the employee heavily implied they should go outside and do this.
A long time ago when subsidized contracts were a thing, there was a consistent run of posters in this subforum asking about AC+ and new devices around the time after another iPhone launch.

Carrier insurance will typically replace a device with 'like new'. So 'some' would intentionally damage the device sufficiently to merit replacement through carrier insurance. And most of the time they got the brand new iPhone model, not the model they'd damaged.

THAT is one specific reason as to why Apple only replaces like for like. There were constant posts explaining that AC+ does NOT function this way and that all they'd get back was the same phone they'd damaged.

It was ridiculous. But yeah, totally get the employee's implication.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Why would anyone pay for OoW claim if already have AC+?

Take a hammer or drop it a few more times and get it replaced under AC+ and be done with. Or better, wait a few more months until you really crack it more and get it replaced all together. No one is paying OoW claim and not use AC+.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why would anyone pay for OoW claim if already have AC+?

Take a hammer or drop it a few more times and get it replaced under AC+ and be done with. Or better, wait a few more months until you really crack it more and get it replaced all together. No one is paying OoW claim and not use AC+.
I think the idea was that OoW would be covered by credit card insurance.

Reactions: phillytim

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I think the idea was that OoW would be covered by credit card insurance.
Yes and no. OP can collect up to $1000 (whatever Amex gives him) and then he can decide what to do from that point. Pocket the money and wait for his phone to get more damaged, or contact Apple and see if they will do the OOW claim like I was offered. I understand the cosmetic argument, but putting that aside, the credit card has this benefit, might as well use it. It's designed exactly for this purpose.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Simple.
Put it on roof of car drive let it fall off, drive over it.
Ring apple care don't go in store, they will send a new one take a hold over your CC till you send damaged one back.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Then that’s just scamming Amex or credit card company. Please don’t do that. And from my previous experience, Amex would require Apple estimate and description on the issue. I doubt they approve $700 OoW repair if it just says cosmetic damage.

Pay AC+ to get it replaced, and submit actual cost to Amex to get that amount reimbursed.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Then that’s just scamming Amex or credit card company. Please don’t do that. And from my previous experience, Amex would require Apple estimate and description on the issue. I doubt they approve $700 OoW repair if it just says cosmetic damage.

Pay AC+ to get it replaced, and submit actual cost to Amex to get that amount reimbursed.
There is no scam. Amex offers accidental damage protection within 90 days of purchasing an item. It does not require an estimate, it does not require going to Apple. What is required is clearly laid out in the claim process. This is a benefit, not a scam. What you are thinking of is warranty protection. This is different.

Who is Eligible for Purchase Protection?

When you charge a Covered Purchase to your Eligible Card, you can be reimbursed for up to 90 days from the date of purchase if the item is stolen or accidentally damaged. Most Cards allow up to $1,000 per incident, with a limit of $50,000 per year. Some premium American Express Cards also include coverage for lost items and provide coverage of up to $10,000 per incident and $50,000 per year. The Platinum Card®, Gold Card, Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card, Hilton Aspire Card, and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ Card are just a few examples.

What Is Covered?

From lamps to loungewear and from headphones to handbags, you can use your Eligible Card with more confidence when you’re covered with Purchase Protection.

Covered Eligible Purchases are items bought with your Eligible Card and are covered for the first 90 days after the day of purchase. More information can be found here.

• Love

jkingrph

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
As soon as I got my ProMax I put a front screen protector on and a lens protector on the camera lenses. I also am using this case
Which has a sliding cover for the lenses. Of course if you drop the phone with the lens cover open, anything is possible

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Like someone else said, is a good thing you got AppleCare now in any case. I wish I had it when I had my iPhone stolen and luckily I was cheekily able to activate it a couple of hours after I proceeded to unintentionally smash the screen of my week old new iPhone and just pay £30 instead of the insane amount you have to pay if you don’t have it. Plus it also covers me if I am robbed again.

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023
14 days to return for any reason according to every return I have made. I do not see any policy that requires “new condition.” Scratched an iPhone many years ago and the store person suggested I return it under this policy. Say you just want to return it, and then buy again when the dust settles.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe I’ll just stop by an Apple Store and see what they say; and/or check in to my AMEX Purchase Protection, probably to use toward an OOW camera repair. 🤔

The outright return would be a bit bold to attempt.

I don’t think that I have the heart to intentionally break my phone for AC+ coverage just for a lightly-scratched camera edge.

I appreciate all of your interesting opinions and suggestions 🙏

Last edited:

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
I would immediately walk in to the Apple Store and tell them what happened. See what they say. They know you could still buy AC+ so they might just change out the phone, easy-peasy.
I second this approach. Years ago, I had a flat-panel iMac that I purchased from the Apple Store, and within the first few days of owning it, my cat decided to check it out, and that was when I found out that an iMac can be top heavy. My cat brushed alongside the front of the iMac wrong, and it flipped forward off of the desk, hit the keyboard, and landed in my chair. Functionally it was fine, but it had a nice gouge in the bottom, on the chin. I took it into the store I purchased it from, and they were able to repair it for just the cost of the parts, without AppleCare, which I promptly purchased after, and have for every Apple product since. They did me a solid, so perhaps Apple will help out the OP too.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.