Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini with the Apple-designed M1 chip are now available to order on Apple.com and through the Apple Store app, and they will be available in stores starting November 17.

apple-m1-macs-trio.jpg

The new MacBook Air starts at $999, the new 13-inch MacBook Pro starts at $1,299, and the new Mac mini starts at $699.

Article Link: New MacBook Air, 13-Inch MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini With M1 Chip Available to Order, Launch Next Week

Last edited:
Reactions: lrnzmr

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I wonder if performance will be consistent across the lineup since they all use the same M1 chip, or if the MacBook Pro will have slightly better performance than the Air.

I originally wanted an iMac for my next Mac, but this makes upgrading my 2012 15” rMBP to a MacBook Air or a 13” MacBook Pro a more serious consideration.

Reactions: rjp1

mike...

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
13" MBP used to have an option of 32GB. Mac Mini could be configured with up to 64GB.

Now they're both 16GB Max?????

They are totally useless to many professionals now. They've also reduced the number of ports.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
This update is huge. Architecture wise the design reminds me alot of game console design where CPU / CPU is integrated and sharing the same memory for the most speed and efficiency.

Apple is going to sell a ton of Mac Mini's - that thing is a beast and $100 cheaper, wow.

AirTags are MIA again, following in AirPower's footsteps perhaps.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Can I get leaker status yet and be cited as an “in the know”?

dannys1 said:
No 13” to start with - there are two 13” MBP models at the moment, 8th gen Intel Processors and 10th gen. The 10th gen will still be the top end 13” MBP, then entry level 8th gen will be replaced with AS.

Next year the 14” MBP will replace the 10th Gen Intel models. I suspect the entry level 13” MBP with AS will stay around as a cheaper option like it currently is.

dannys1 said:
They won’t, this story is wrong. 16” MBP will be an Intel refresh. There will be two lower end 13” MacBooks with Apple Silicon, and top end 13” MacBook Pro with Intel will stay too.

dannys1 said:
Apart from the premium 13” Intel MBP will still exist - the AS is only replacing the entry level models.

dannys1 said:
A mixture of what the leakers who can be trusted have said, what we’ve seen in Big Sur code and common sense about where they actually will be in the Apple Silicon line.

I’ll give you £200 if Intel aren’t still the top end 13” and 16” MBP after the 10th November. The lower end 13” MBP was left untouched in the summer still using Intel 8th Gen processors so it could be upgraded first. It all makes sense form both a PR, business, econmics and customer service stand point. Apple aren’t going to replace 6 month old machines with new ones and chips that beat the top end of what Intel have to offer (and specifically graphics) wont be ready yet.

Also they can introduce the low end machines into the market where they have the advantage (power efficiency) and the uptake helps get all the apps converted over so when the more serious machines do arrive the system is more mature from a software stand point too. The 16” is likely to become Apple Silicon when it’s refreshed with Mini LED probably around this time next year - and they won’t want to be selling the same 16” MBP from November 2019 by then, hence a small Intel refresh for the 16” MBP 2020.

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
13" MBP used to have an option of 32GB. Mac Mini could be configured with up to 64GB.

Now they're both 16GB Max?????

They are totally useless to many professionals now. They've also reduced the number of ports.
They haven’t replaced those systems. You can still buy the top end Intel MacBook Pro and Mac minis, the M1 is just the entry level chip, keep up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.