New Renderings Show an 'iPhone 8' Design With Full-Front Display and Minimal Bezels All Around

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2017.

1. amirite macrumors 6502a

Really, three years because of that? This is really bad sleep hygiene anyway.

2. ValO macrumors 68000

I really hope the iphone 8 will have resemblence to to the apple watch, would love the curved glass and a metal frame with a glass back for this design, and would get a space black one!

3. shanson27 macrumors 65816

shanson27

4. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I'm still skeptical that everything can be put behind the display and just work as they have before. Hope they do pull it off though.

5. ValO macrumors 68000

I think the camera and the speaker won' t be behind the coverglass of the screen, but that there will be holes in the coverglass. Less clean, but more likely.

6. apolloa macrumors G4

It is still physically impossible fact! Look at the width of this device and the length, the exact same as the 6, 6S and 7 yet it magically fits a screen that won't physically fit. The screen ratio makes no difference.

For a 5.7" screen to fit the phone has to be physically bigger.

7. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Looks great. I'm still loving my 7 jet black, it would be amazing to have an end-to-end full screen.

There is still a bezel though.

I really hope that Apple remove the bezel completely, so that it does look like one sheet of glass from the front.

8. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Absolutely love this render, I want no top / bottom bezels - looks so much better than the recent Samsung S8 and other droids with bezels.

How the selfie camera (and other sensors) would work going through the active display is a good question, so perhaps it won't be possible. However, if it is, I think this looks awesome. Would love a slanted ear speaker outlet so the display could cover it with no visible hole when viewed from the top.

9. ValO, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

ValO macrumors 68000

Sorry, you are wrong.

Lool at the screen dimensions of the 5.8 inch galaxy s8 , over here:
    https://www.sven.de/dpi/
    It will fit the 6s/7 And aspect ratio will make a difference.

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

But you're using Helvetica, not San Francisco :(

11. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I doubt the ear piece and light sensor would move up that high. Apple uses that center section of the top line for LOCKED and UNLOCKED. If those parts do move up, I don't think it would be all that way up, maybe to hang out just under that top line.

I also don't think the icons would move up that high. Apple would probably keep a buffer on the top (for ear piece/light sensor) and the bottom (thumb print/home button) where icons would be prevented from displaying.

12. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Am I the only one wondering why is the sleep/wake button twice the size? :eek:

13. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

I'm still no the iPhone 5 because I refuse to support the rear protruding camera.

I'd rather them make the phone 2mm thicker then have that monstrosity at the pack

14. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

No, no and thrice no.
    I was merely giving an example of where the current device is perfect. But no, you take what I said and blew it up to an extreme that was a long way beyond my use case.
    I wasn't talking about snoozing using the volume controls but cancelling the alarm sort of like you could do with a traditional alarm clock. I'll admit that I could have worded it better.

I'll repeat it, I was giving an example of a use case where the current device is perfect. I'm not telling Apple to leave it alone. They would not listen to me. I will exercise my right to choose to NOT to buy a new bezel free device if that is what is released. Before I make that decision I will try the new device out.
    That good enought for you?

15. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Personally, I found Palm's implementation of a 'soft' home button and gesture area under the screen on the PalmPre2 to be a more elegant, functionally sound, and possibly cost-effective approach.

16. Mactendo macrumors 68000

I'm curious if it will retain the landscape mode of iPhone Plus.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    I wish it looked similar to this, but it won't...
    [​IMG]

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Please like and retweet

18. shplock macrumors regular

Well then use Hey Siri, or just open your eyes for a moment and slightly lift the phone thus activating raise to wake and there you go!
    Sometimes in life we need to make adjustments when technology evolves and either you adjust with it or you don't. if you don't then do not complain about being left behind.

19. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

This assumes that the layout of those two lenses matters to picture quality. Why would that be?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Wait: if the "button" was embedded into the screen, then you could just touch the screen.

What am I missing?

20. shplock macrumors regular

Yes but Apple have a patent for touch id being under the screen so maybe Samsung never made any attempt at putting their fingerprint scanner under the screen. Considering all the legal problems they have had and are having at present perhaps they just thought better of it.
    Plus Apple managed to create touch id despite the so called experts saying that Apple could not do it. So maybe they have found a way to place touch id under the screen and there are no problems with yield rates. This was only as a result of one of these so called experts saying the yield rates were low. The same experts who said there would be no 5.5" iPhone plus, who said there would be now ay Apple could put a fingerprint scanner in an iPhone, who said that Apple were doomed within 6 months.
    The trouble with so called experts is, is that they ted to be wrong more than they are right.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Those are gorgeous. Those I would buy, but in the second generation as I think I am not inclined to buy first generation versions of most things by Apple again.

They can put the camera lenses horizontal, vertical or diagonal and I would be fine if they can make the cameras look like that and not the embarrassing lumps we put up with now.

The other renders and diagrams I've seen on this site recently have looked comical. I refuse to believe Apple would subject consumers to another generation of fugly camera lumps. Well..unless it's the IPhone 7s-sPlus.

22. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.

1) I don't know about you but I hold onto the sides of my iPhone. I'm not really sure how you are holding your phone so that you are grabbing onto the front bezels on the top and bottom of the iPhone...

2) There are still 4mm bezels all the way around on this schematic. This is (from what I can tell) the same as the size bezels currently are. So the same kind of cases (and holding patterns) that exist for current iPhone will work just as well on this iPhone.

3) Where are you seeing non-rectangular screens (I'm assuming that's what you mean, because no phone has square screens)? To me it looks like the the top area (with camera and speaker) is reserved for the status bar. I think 3rd party apps would still be developed as rectangular

4) What I hear is "It will be difficult to implement this well". Granted. But I think there is a ton of upside if Apple can do this well. The bezels are already about as small as they can be with the dedicated home button area. If Apple can move from a 4.7" display to a 5.8" display in the exact same physical dimensions... That's a huge win. I played around with a Galaxy s8 for a couple minutes, and they seemed to handled the home button issue pretty well (granted I hate the fingerprint scanner location). If Samsung can do it fine, I trust Apple to do a great job with this.

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Looks very good to me..bezel less and more screen is going to be great

24. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

It looks a bit funky, but I have been so used to the bezels since the introduction of the original iPhone. I'm all for this design though.

25. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Yeah, well unfortunately it was just you and about five other people.