Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
the watch needs to be more than bigger and with more battery life. this is designed to go head to head with the Garmin Fenix 7 to the extent Apple invited speciality athletic watch reviewers like DCRainmaker and DesFit (who have reviewed this niche for a decade or more) to see the watches in person at the launch. You have to believe (or hope) there will be unique software features specific to this model. Things like compatibility with ANT+/Bluetooth bike power meters or cadence sensors, built in hiking features with full topographical maps, health tracking metrics to calculate a daily recovery score for planning workouts etc. We shall see but its always those software secrets that tend not to be spoiled…
Where did you see that DC and Des were going to be there? I must have missed those posts/videos.

Reactions: GregoriusM

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I mean… I dont know what to say lol…. It’s like we already know everything that’s announced. Secrets haven’t been spoiled this bad in a while
You say that but the rumors last year were entirely wrong with the apple watch in regards to the design, specifically the squared edges. I wish Apple would seed more weird rumors to make the release even more confusing sometimes.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006

New renders of the upcoming Apple Watch Pro have given us the best look yet at what's expected to become the newest high-end Apple Watch, featuring an all-new design, a larger and flat display, and a new physical button.

ian-watch-pro-1.jpeg

The new renders, created by concept designer Ian Zelbo in collaboration with Parker Ortolani, are based on CAD renders of the Apple Watch Pro shared yesterday. Until yesterday, little was known about the Apple Watch Pro's expected design other than to say it would be more rugged and durable for athletes, hikers, runners, and more.

The Apple Watch Pro will feature the first significant redesign of the Apple Watch since the Series 4, rethinking the case design to become less curved with an entirely flat display. The display on the Apple Watch Pro is expected to be considerably bigger than the Series 7 and the upcoming Series 8, thanks to the flatter top design.

ian-watch-pro-2.jpeg

Fitting with its more rugged look and feel, the Apple Watch Pro features all-new protruding housing for the Digital Crown and the Side Button. Both are housed in a mold on the right side of the watch that protrudes outwards, which could make them more easily accessible. The Digital Crown itself is also being redesigned to feature more prominent indents.

ian-watch-pro-3.jpeg

On the left side of the watch, the Apple Watch Pro is expected to feature an all-new physical button similar to the Side Button. The button is rumored to be configurable to a user's liking. It could be customized to open watchOS apps, begin specific workouts, or even quickly run shortcuts without navigating the watch itself.

With the larger display on the Apple Watch Series 7, Apple updated visual elements across watchOS to take better advantage of the added real estate. The same is expected with the Apple Watch Pro and its larger display. Compared to the Series 7's display size of 1.691-inches and 1.901-inches on the 41mm and 45mm sizes, the Apple Watch Pro screen could measure around 1.99-inches in a 49mm case.

ian-watch-pro-4.jpeg

On the Apple Watch Pro, customers can expect new watch faces that take advantage of the larger display, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Also, according to Gurman, expect Apple to release a new line of watch bands designed specifically for the Apple Watch Pro. Existing watch bands are expected to be somewhat compatible with the Apple Watch Pro but may not be an exact fit.

watchos-9-workout-app.jpg

Changes coming to watchOS 9 that show additional on screen

The new watch faces could have room to display metrics from workouts and health data gathered by the watch. The new watch faces come in addition to improvements made in watchOS 9 that seem tailored towards a larger Apple Watch, such as refinements during Workouts that show additional metrics all in one screen.

Beyond a new design and a larger display, the Apple Watch Pro will likely benefit from all the improvements coming to the Apple Watch Series 8, including a new body temperature sensor. The body temperature sensor, unlike typical thermometers, is unlikely to provide wearers a direct reading of their body temperature in its early iteration.

The Apple Watch Pro, with its all-new design, larger display, and more durable materials, is expected to cost somewhere between $900 and $1,000. The new watch will be the most expensive Apple Watch yet, likely replacing the Apple Watch Edition at the top of the lineup. The Apple Watch Pro, the Apple Watch Series 8, a new Apple Watch SE, new iPhones, and more are all rumored to be on the agenda for Apple's "Far out" event tomorrow.

Article Link: New Renders Offer Best Look Yet at Alleged Apple Watch 'Pro' Ahead of Tomorrow's Event
Nice fake ads lol 😂 and desktop website in a browser 😂🤣😂

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
That looks like it'll help solve the problem I have of frequently activating Siri by accident by bending my wrist upwards. I've even accidentally called 911 while doing yardwork.

I'm not sure that'll justify the extra cost though...

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
My shoulder hurts just thinking of trying to surf the web on a watch! Good for glances, MFA auths and other short duration activities but long form things like web page browsing? Forget it!

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
Not really sure what to think of the huge bump on the right side. Looks quite ugly to me and I don't really get its purpose. So why is it there?
It doesn't really protect the crown, which still can be accidentially touched on 2 sides and the button inside the bump seems even more susceptible to accidental taps as well.

So what is it for if it neither serves form nor function?
Seems like it’s so that it is still easy to get to the crown and side button if you are the type of person that puts a case on their Apple Watch. Pretty stupid for something this premium if you ask me. It is beyond ugly. I was excited about this product until I saw that. It is a dealbreaker for me. Still hard to believe.

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
That looks like it'll help solve the problem I have of frequently activating Siri by accident by bending my wrist upwards. I've even accidentally called 911 while doing yardwork.

I'm not sure that'll justify the extra cost though...
Wouldn’t it just be more likely to trigger accidentally, because it sticks out even more?

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
~400 is already a tough pill if they actually double the price or more they are completely insane. I’m sorry a bulkier watch with ann extra button isn’t worth it.

Remember when Apple added features to products so you wanted to upgrade?

Now they just rehash the same Watch/iPhone raise prices and people go that’s expected it does more! No that’s not how it works technology moves forward and you get more for your money as time passes.

Apple Watch Pro. Mac Studio. Just upgrades to products with a new name and insane price tags. Then they keep the old product with a mediocre upgrade and make you feel bad for getting it by crippling features.

Oh you own an iPad Mini because that’s the form factor you like? Well it gets basic upgrades unless you buy the giant iPad you don’t need or want. You own a MacBook Air? You can only drive one screen because we don’t include basic MST support. Buy a more expensive heavier laptop you don’t need/want because reasons.

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
The new watch will be the most expensive Apple Watch yet

No it won’t… not by a long way.

I remember Apple’s first gen Apple Watch. They produced a high-end Apple Watch Edition 38mm 18-karat yellow gold case for $17,000. It was aimed at celebrities and ultra rich…

I might be wrong but I think it was the first and last time Apple tried that as they quickly retired the product by series 2.

GregoriusM

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
I love it! As a long time wearer of Casio G-Shock 51mm watches and other large watches that are rugged, the battery life will be key. I was about to pull the trigger on the Garmin Epix 2 Sapphire (~$1,000), but will wait to see if this AW8 Pro can get at least 3 days of battery life. Garmin is taking the sports and outdoors people with their lineup of great smart watches, which aren't cheap, but are round, rugged, great battery life and great functionality. The AW8 Pro is meant for people who want those functions. For those not interested, there are the standard AW series.
And this iteration is much more round than previous ones. The corners are much more rounded.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.