New Samsung Galaxy Ad Makes Fun of iPhone X's Notch, Lack of Stylus Support, Dongles, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2017.

1. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

I take it you don't work in finance. If a company who's primary product is a phone, is way more profitable than another company who also sells phones, it means they are making way more profit on each phone. We know that Apple charges a premium. Not ringing any bells here???

2. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

Of course Apple charges a premium.... just as BMW, Audi, Volvo, Rolex, Gucci, etc. all charge premiums for their goods. Value is based on perception. What people perceive is valuable IS valuable... and they will pay a premium for that good or service.

3. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

You are going to use Rolex as an example of good value? I think you chose a perfect choice. Many people are buying Apple as a misguided status symbol. I give you exhibit A below:

Good for Apple that they have people like this guy. Its very profitable. Me, I look at value based on what the device will do for me and not whether a total stranger is impressed.

4. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

You're pretty angry about all this. But here's the reason I pick iPhone over Android anything.... Android is made by the single largest, and most prolific data mining company on the planet. Bar none. This data mining company created an operating system that goes inside of device that likely contains all of your contacts, emails, and other communication. It also has web abilities so gathering all of your surfing and shopping habits are extremely easy. And on top of this this device has a GPS which not only allows for tracking every movement of the user... they actually do. As they admitted to congress a few years back when EFF discovered that Google was tracking the movement of their users. In which Google replied (paraphrased) that gathering data is in the user agreement.

No thanks.

I don't care what features Android produces... I'll never own anything Google. I'm proud to say my home is a Google-Free™ zone. I used to champion this company... but they'll never see their way into my home ever again.

5. Baymowe335, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors regular

Lol, I’m a Wharton grad and do investment banking on a daily basis. .I think we are talking apples and oranges.

I went back and read your post and my example proves I understand margin, but I didn’t read your post thoroughly when I responded. You said margin % has no impact on how many they sell. If they had some insane margin, people might not see value and it would impact sales negatively.

I simply said, the more you sell, the more you make. My point was that AAPL makes reasonable margins but makes a ton of profit in aggregate because they sell so many phones, not because they make an insane margin per phone.

AAPL makes margins more consistent with a software company, because that’s really what they are. They aren’t a typical hardware commodity player making 3% margins. MSFT makes higher margins as most of their revenues are purely software driven. AAPL has 38% GM, while MSFT is like 65%.

6. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Not sure where you picked up any anger. Why would I be angry? We are talking about smartphones. I enjoy discussing them and learning about them.

Good luck being on the grid and avoiding companies that mine data about you. You have way less to worry about with Google than many others. There business depends on data. They would be pretty dumb to do anything to jeopardize their data. I don't see them as dumb. I've made a ton of money from Google as a web publisher, so I have some familiarity with their use of data.

7. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

There's a difference between someone attempting to mine your data and you opening the door and letting the data mining company in. There are numerous ways one can reduce their online profile and the data mining that comes with it. You should re-read what I wrote about the Android OS. No other data mining company has that type of data access. None. Nada. Zip. And you literally handed it over to them.

8. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Not exactly, but I'm good with it. Your data is being mined by far worse that you probably aren't even aware of.

9. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

Google was my client for a decade... I'm very familiar.

10. ScorchedEarth macrumors regular

ScorchedEarth

I will probably get a bunch of smack for this... But I would much rather trust my data with Google than Apple. The amount of times I hear about iCloud accounts, celeb nudes, Apple data breaches, etc... I would just rather not...

Google on the other hand is actually doing positive things all around the world, for the greater good. Just compare each others keynotes from this year, one company only caring about profit and silly gimmicks, while the other focused on AI.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Samsung also needs to do an ad thanking Apple for a quarter of record profits from the sales of components to Apple.

12. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Same. Except it’s not as accurate for me because I haven’t lined up for the iPhone, ever. And I’ve always gotten the iPhone the day of, or weekend of, launch.

The video doesn’t make me want to go over to android or Samsung. The phone (imo) is still ugly. I don’t need an extra thing (stylus) that would be easy to lose. And even when I was super mad at Apple, and went into a store committed to walking out with an Android...I just couldn’t do it.

My only compliant about the X is that it’s starting to look a little more like Android then what I usually associate as an iPhone design...and while it’s never been 100% seamless, it seems to get just a teeny bit more buggy each year.

Still, I cannot give up the design and iOS of an iPhone.

13. Tech198 macrumors G4

14. mib1800 macrumors 68020

Some people may be swayed when they realized a $600 S8 can do as much or more than $1000-1200 Iphone X.

15. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Nope. It doesn't have a notch.

16. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

29 pages later we are still arguing about an ad that Samsung put out as a marketing tool against the iPhone. I have to ask, do you guys not have a life outside of a phone?

"Boom, instant recognition" shibuya12_0.jpg About a phone? Does that somehow translate to success? Are you really serious? Time to step back and look at who we have become. A society of smartphone users?

17. Shaarujon567 macrumors regular

Shaarujon567

A lot of tension and heat in this forum post lol

18. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

It depends.

I’m sure android can do all that iPhone does and more, but I find those who tend to gravitate towards iPhone likes simplicity and for it to simply “work”. We don’t care about customizing it all out. Just little tweaks here and there. We don’t need to do anything crazy fancy unless it’s streamlined and made intuitive.

Androids are for those people who don’t mind wearing a jacket from Zara because it’s $100 dollars versus the $1200 bal version (that it drew inspiration from) and thinks it looks the same.

Apple is for those who likes a beautifully designed, thought-out phone. It’s seamless so you don’t spend a lot of time thinking about how to set it up or setting it up. It’s just a device. It’s what you can do with the device that’s important.

19. mib1800 macrumors 68020

If you can use an iphone, you are smart enough to use a Samsung/Android. It is just excuses if you said otherwise.
    Most android launchers also cater to the iphone crowd if you want boring grid of icons.

There are many areas I can think of that Apple didnt think about the design of the iphone.
    - ugly camera bump
    - notch
    - notification mess
    - centralized Settings mess
    - overlapping 3D touch and long press
    - non freely rearrangeable icons
    etc

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Please list all the occasions there were Apple data breaches? As for the iCloud leak that was proven to be phishing.

To be fair I don’t think either Google or Apple have ever been hacked like say Sony were.

The second part of your post is ridiculous- the only worse data mining is done by Facebook. If you think that is “doing “ good and ignore the positive things Apple has been doing well I just can’t take that seriously.

AI is something I am not sure is good or bad by the way.

21. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Hah. I like the underhanded, passive aggressiveness you’ve got going on here. Super telling. It’s not excuses. I didn’t say I wasn’t smart enough to use an android. It’s not intuitive like an iPhone. I don’t know how else to explain this to you but to give an example.

It’s like if you were an artist and you’re given two brushes to choose from. One of them is super “fancy” sounding, with all of the latest tech thrown on it, but hasn’t had the time to test the heck out of it, to make sure it’s aware of the artist. The other is a well built brush, not as “fancy” but still tech-compatible. To a tech person whose just about the wow factor and not necessarily the art, they’re going to be taken in by brush 1. The people who care more about what they can produce with the brush, the artists, is going to want brush 2.

Ugly camera bump is what reminds me of an android. But really, it’s nbd since it’s in the top left hand corner of the back of the phone. It’s not like it’s in the middle of anything, where my fingers can easily reach.

ETA-at the end of the day, people want something they can use, that would connect them to the world. iOS interface is prettier then any android’s. There’s a reason Apple made a comeback the second time around...not only did they focus on the functionality of the hardware and software but the design of the product. They took a world of ugly PCs and made it pretty.

22. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

You are saying that an Android phone is like a $100 knock off of a designer $1200 jacket? First, off, I think anyone that would buy the $1200 version is crazy. And if you think that the flagship Android phones are $100 phones in comparison to Apple's X, then I think you are blinded by Apple's marketing.

The X is not an attractive phone to me. Airpods look ridiculous and I literally chuckle to myself ever time I see someone wearing them. Even though I wore an Apple Watch for 2 years, I never cared for the look of it. Just because Apple creates something, it doesn't make it a beautiful design. And they clearly put their view of design as a higher priority than "what you can do with it".

On the subject of "what you can do with the device" being most important, Apple has been a big let down in many areas for me. There are many things I can do with my Note 8 that I can't do with an iPhone. There are many things I can do with my Surface Pro that I can't do with a Macbook. Apple decides for you what things they are going to let you do. I can run two apps at the same time on my Note 8, but I can't on an iPhone. Just one example of Apple choosing to not let you do something.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Really... I can lay my Android phone on a flat table and use it. Lay your iPhone on a table and try to use it. It will wobble because of that camera bump. So you can justify it all you want, but your camera bump is a bad design both in appearance and usability, in comparison to my Android phone.

23. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I’m saying that in reference to the lower end models of android out there, but sure, why not.

I have a problem with the X reminding me more and more of an android (look wise) but apples marketing got me over that hump (10).

() is for level of sarcasm btw.

AirPods to me are awesome. Look wise I don’t find it offensive enough to chuckle, but the fact that they’re only $159 with their own charging case (the battery life! I don’t need to charge it more then once a week)—and has microphone on both sides...I’ve spent more on my master and dynamics, beats before Apple brought it, etc. basically they’re a bargain in apple’s ecosystem..for what they can do.

I’m glad you’re into Microsoft because I’m invested in them as well, so it’s not like I want everyone to jump on the Apple train. To me, Apple just makes better products period.

24. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Everybody else is just flapping their lips now, figured I might as well flap mine.
    The biggest issue for me re the iPhone vs android debate is the ecosystem. I am firmly embedded in the apple ecosystem and really don't want to train myself to the android ecosystem. It's taken a number of years to get comfortable with iOS and I am no power user, just a senior who doesn't want to waste what time I have left learning a new "language". Heck, apple tends to change iOS itself enough that every year is a new minor learning curve why would I take on a new major learning curve shifting to android.
    Secondly, I have enough friends using android that I realize it's usually what you started with that you are comfortable with so why not just stay with that. Each system has many pluses and minuses. I'll find other new things to learn besides my mobile phones OS.

25. ScorchedEarth, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

ScorchedEarth macrumors regular

ScorchedEarth

Link
    Go ahead and start clicking through the lists. Since I answered your question, can you answer mine now? What good has Apple done for it's customers, or better yet, the world? What have they done for people without asking for money in return? Take your time, I'll still be here if you can come up with something.