New Samsung Galaxy Ad Makes Fun of iPhone X's Notch, Lack of Stylus Support, Dongles, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2017.

1. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

You go right ahead and publish the figures.
    Very interested to see.

2. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

Where do you get off telling him he should post elsewhere. SMH

If it has to do with the Mac or Apple he can post whatever he wants, you do realize your posting on macrumors?

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Apple sold 660M iPhones since 2015.

That is 600,000/day for 3 years.

For Samsung to be around that 2:1 figure I posted, they'd need to have sold 330M phones in the same 3 period. The last official number from Samsung was 200M in 2014 (total, ever)...literally have not seen anything reliable since then. I can find all kind of numbers, but they have a ton of non flagship Samsung phones mixed in to ruin the number.

4. FFR, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

The also include dumb phones in that figure.
    Phones with a t9 keyboard. No joke.
    If you just look at note sales, Samsung has been dropping sequentially every year since Apple introduced the plus models.

You can check this out for more data points:

“According to data from Counterpoint’s Monthly Market Pulse, Apple has significantly increased its lead over Samsung in the premium smartphone market ($400+) since the launch of the iPhone 7. Over the summer, Apple was selling just over 50% of the global premium smartphones, and Samsung was selling just under 25%. By December 2016, those numbers had grown to 70% and 17%, respectively.

http://bgr.com/2017/02/03/apple-vs-samsung-sales-2016/

5. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

My goodness people do like to bang on about sales figures!

Do these figures actually mean anything? Remember Nokia? They had two of the best selling phones of all time. Then there was Blackberry.

People seem to have very short memories.

6. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

They mean everything.
    Just look at Nokia and blackberry, no sales no phones.

7. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Exactly my point.
    I can't imagine people at the time banging on about sales figures.

Plus the fact they were both at the top of their game, and look at them now.

8. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Well by your logic, Ferrari has one foot in the grave compared to Honda then. Samsung sold I believe 80 million smartphones last quarter, and Android has about 85% of the market. So I don't think either is quite ready to die off just yet.

By the way, Nokia and RIM both had dominant positions with most of their eggs in a single basket. That is looking more and more like Apple as each quarter the iPhone gobbles up a bigger and bigger piece of Apple's total business.

9. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

Should have been part of hofo or crackberry, that’s exactly what was going on there.

That’s the thing they weren’t top of thier game just didn’t have any alternatives, until there was and look at them now.

But sales was always a key metric as the plus of the company. Once sales start to dry up...

Just look at Sony Mobile, HTC, and lg mobile. The writing is on the wall just like it was with blackberry, Nokia, Motorola and Ericsson

10. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

Yes I invented business school

Except one laFerrari is equal to 100 civics.

And Android isn’t singular.

11. torana355 Suspended

Read my post properly....

12. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

That was a different game. No ecosystem, just hardware. No company has ever been as profitable as AAPL. Apple can screw up, but Apple is not Nokia or Blackberry. That doesn't mean in 10 years Apple can't fail...it just means they aren't the same story at all.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Yeah, no one can compete with Apple in profitability and unit sales of premium phones.

Actually, Samsung makes pretty good margin on the Note and Galaxy phones...they just don't sell nearly enough of them to eat into the smartphone profit pie (Apple is 90%).

13. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Just wait until we get the next quarterly industry market share articles.

Those are all about sales figures... :p

14. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Whatever floats your boat ;)

15. Michael Scrip, Nov 8, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

The article will get posted on MacRumors... and people will comment on it.

Or maybe we need to re-think the entire concept of user forums?

:p

16. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

It's kind of funny to me when people use Apple's huge profit on their smartphones to promote buying them. Wouldn't that imply that they are very overpriced?

Also ironic that Samsung was actually more profitable than Apple last quarter. Don't know if they passed them back this quarter. (I'm not suggesting that was because of smartphone profits... just ironic.) Samsung is a lot more diversified company. Apple is basically a smartphone company that also sells some accessories.

17. Baymowe335, Nov 8, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

AAPL is worth 4X Samsung and 1 quarter doesn’t make a year.

AAPL makes good margin, just like Samsung, but AAPL just sells A LOT...it’s not bc they are overpriced.

18. Fox Fisher macrumors newbie

I don’t understand why americans crying about I phone X being 1000$. The regular iPhone was 1300$ here for years, the X starts from 1650$ and people still line up to buy it It’s not Apple’s fault though its goverment taxes.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    That's because of the Note 7 recall.

Apple's share of sales and profits got an extra boost for almost a year.

20. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

So you agree with what I posted

Note 8 isn’t making much of a difference.

21. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Since phones seem to be an extension of our identity, bragging about or comparing sales figures would be the equivalent of (appendage) measuring.

I keep reading that Samsung does not post numbers. So how can we accurately compare appendages?

2014 numbers are being used as a comparison to current Apple sales, which seems to mean we are not comparing apples to apples so to speak.

22. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Completely agree. It really does come across as a hampton wick waving contest. What makes it worse is that a lot of these people are grown adults with professional jobs!

People just need to relax and enjoy whichever device they use.

23. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

You understand that margin percentage has no relationship to how many you sell, right? But you all keep bragging about how much margin Apple makes on a smartphone as they keep jacking the prices up. As a shareholder I think its awesome. As a consumer, I look at value.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

What are you talking about? If you make 40% margin on every phone you sell and sell 100M you make X. If you sell 200M, you make 2X.

My point was that while Apple has good margins, they make so much money because they sell so many phones, not because they rip people off. Their per phone profit is reasonable. They just sell over 200M phones annually, so they make insane money.

25. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

If iPhones were ridiculously priced and out of reach of the masses, then they wouldn't be selling very many. But the sales numbers tell us otherwise.