New Samsung Galaxy Ad Makes Fun of iPhone X's Notch, Lack of Stylus Support, Dongles, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Oh the irony!

2. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Right, I'm the one that is uniformed. So you have Samsung's product development plans? You posted all the things that they are planning to copy. You either have their plans or you made it up. So yes, you did make it up and that is what I said.

And much of what you listed is factually incorrect. For example, the X has a lower screen to size ratio than any of the 3 current Galaxies. And, Iris is more secure than Face. And the list goes on. One third the speed? Good one.

3. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

You took the bait:D! lol I was going to address each one of his points with links, but figured it was a waste of time. The guy is definitely pulling random ideas out of his notch ;). With a simple google search, he would have contradicted every single one of his own "points".

4. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I know... I was trying to resist it but like a big bass looking at a worm on a hook... I fell for it. :rolleyes:

5. Baymowe335, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Where is your evidence that iris is more secure than face?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    You aren’t serious right? iPhone is at least 2:1. I know iPhone sales but I’ll have to dig up Note and Galaxy. I’ve followed it, but Samsung doesn’t publish these every quarter.

I think you’ll end up looking stupid unless I’m misunderstanding your position. You do agree iPhone outsells the note and galaxy by at least 2 to 1, right? Maybe not 3 to 1, but at least 2 to 1.

6. Michael Scrip, Nov 7, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Yep... it's tricky to compare Samsung Galaxy S and Note sales to iPhone sales.

Every phone Apple sells is an iPhone... while not every phone Samsung sells is a Galaxy S or Note.

And if Samsung sold 80 million total smartphones last quarter... my guess is that most of them were NOT flagship Galaxy S or Note.

We might have a clue that helps this theory... Samsung's average selling price.

It has been reported that Samsung's ASP is around $235. If this is true... then there simply cannot be very many high-end flagships being sold. It suggests that Samsung's product mix skews heavily to the lower end.

I don't know the exact percentage since Samsung doesn't break it down by model (hell... they don't share any numbers at all)

But in a world where Samsung sells $900 flagships... do you realize how many phones they must sell that are below $235 in order to hit that average price of $235 ?

It sounds like Samsung sells a lot of $100 smartphones... while selling far fewer $800-950 Galaxy S and Note.

Just a guess.

But the ASP might be a clue.

Example... Samsung could sell eight $100 phones, one $600 phone, and one $950 phone to get an average price of $235

If the ASP is true... then it's mathematically impossible for Samsung to be selling very many high-end flagships.

Based on my example numbers above... only one out of ten Samsung phones could be a $950 Galaxy Note 8.

So if they sold 80 million smartphones last quarter... only 8 million could be Note 8.

Of course this is just one set of numbers... but that $235 ASP must keep Samsung's product mix towards the low end...

7. Regime2008, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017

Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

I don't quite understand some users infatuation with sales? What does it matter to YOU if your favorite phone manufacturer sells more/less than a competitor? I wouldn't care if I was the only Android user in the world. I would still have the best device in the world because that is what I choose to use. At the end of the day, neither of these companies risk being obsolete tomorrow, as they both make more than enough money to stay afloat. With that being said, debate on the things that actually matter to you, such as features and functionality. I'm pretty sure NONE of the members on this site are collecting a check from any of these big companies for boasting about how many phones they sold this quarter.

8. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

It's a hobby... keeps my math skills sharp... :p

9. Baymowe335, Nov 7, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

I own thousands of shares of AAPL, so its very interesting to me and also why I know Samsung isn’t close to AAPL in high end phone sales. Apple quite literally owns the luxury smartphone market by making over 90% of all available profit. If there has been an Apple article in the last 5 years, good or bad, I’ve read it. Same goes for Samsung. As a shareholder, you read this stuff.

And I do collect a check from Apple, every single quarter.

10. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

So you get paid for boasting about how many phones they sold on this forum? That was pretty much my point in my post.

11. torana355 macrumors 68030

Fair enough but i think these forums are more about user level discussions, if all you care about are your shares i'm sure there are forums that are better suited. Im not saying you should not post here by the way, i'm just saying these forums are not really about the sharemarket.

12. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Hmmff. Everybody is an Apple shareholder. That and they are part owner of a Super Bowl team....

13. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

No one is boasting. I'm just telling people the facts. I read here to stay up to date on news and get a pulse of what people are saying. Many appear to be haters, which is fine.

14. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

Judging by the comments here, I’d say yeah

15. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Amazing amnesia on these forums eh..... the looser on the left and the hip guy on the right. Those mac/pc ads were far more insulting .... which many here saw as funny and excellent advertising. Samsung does it, its bashing and below the belt - definition of hypocrisy;)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Come on guys, with that notch, Apple themselves have opened themselves to ridicule. We got a work iPhone X and notch jokes are flying from everyone including out iOS devs who are massive fans, but hate it...... or should I say are not impressed . It's also a pain in the **** for the devs.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68040

It's actually quite a unique ad. I don't like Samsung, and I always dislike their ads and keynotes (remember Michael Bay's meltdown?). But this one feels okay.

Imo Samsung should not be worrying about Apple. Samsung should look how they are losing marketshare in developing countries with the Chinese OEMs taking over. Unlike Apple, Samsung cannot survive just catering to the high end market. Apple brand still holds a higher value than Samsung, while the Chinese are taking Samsung's lunch on the bottom-mid range.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When are these types of frivolous posts Going to stop? We got it, Samsung had faulty Note 7's that Were recalled for intermittent battery concerns. They rectified it, it's over with, stop reiterating something that's already been addressed and moved on from. Posts such as yours don't prove anything at all, except you have nothing to contribute aside from asinine comments like these.

18. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

It IS a rather ridiculous way to compare phones. Lets apply this to cars. So these people I guess would rather have a Honda Civic than a Ferrari LaFerrari since Honda outsells Ferrari? But its even more ridiculous because we are talking about a company that sells 80 million phones vs. one that sells 40 million. I think both are good at making phones, it matters not what the mix of products is. Comparing each's flagships - S8 or Note 8 vs. iPhone X or 8+ - its fair to say that they are both excellent phones.

19. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Welcome to the internet.

Also... Pepperidge Farm Remembers. :p

20. 7eregrine macrumors newbie

Disagree. Samsung absolutely can survive that. Unlike Apple they sell TVs and monitors and, my God, refrigerators! Not to mention rabid fans of thier phones. My God, the things they had to do to get people to trade in the Note 7s shows how fiercely many love Sammy.

21. pika2000 macrumors 68040

You're right, overall, Samsung is very diversified. Heck, Samsung makes the components of other phones, including iPhones.
    I guess what I meant was specifically their mobile phone business. You're correct that the Galaxy S and Note series have reached status symbol in terms of desirability. However, Samsung is indeed having their market share eroded from the bottom by the Chinese OEMs. Samsung is merely winning on their marketing (and budget) prowess for now. That is not sustainable imo. Sooner or later, people will see that a Mi6/Oneplus 5 have the same/most of the spec of a Galaxy S8, with fraction of the cost, and they all run the same apps and Google ecosystem.

22. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

You need to take a look at wikipedia and the number of Smartphone models that Samsung makes, just under the Galaxy brand. I think they have a model to compete on any level that any competitor comes at them.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Samsung has a larger presence in the developing world. What I'd like to see compared is Galaxy/Note v iPhone in the wealthier nations. In my own little four person office we have two Galaxies, my Nexus, and an iPhone.

24. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

Tbh I find it hilarious when Apple fans do that but then lose their **** anytime somebody brings up the likes of bendgate and especially antennagate. Samsung handled their mess up a hell of a lot better than Apple did.

Apple: Umm we didn’t mess up, yall just holding it wrong. It’s the customer’s fault.

Samsung: Look guys we realize there’s a problem and we’re gonna fix it. We do apologize. Thank you guys for the continued support.

25. FFR Suspended

FFR

Not really tricky at all

Apple sells 80% of iPhone-class, $600+ smartphones in China

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/05/04/apple-sells-80-of-iphone-class-600-smartphones-in-china

And

“According to data from Counterpoint’s Monthly Market Pulse, Apple has significantly increased its lead over Samsung in the premium smartphone market ($400+) since the launch of the iPhone 7. Over the summer, Apple was selling just over 50% of the global premium smartphones, and Samsung was selling just under 25%. By December 2016, those numbers had grown to 70% and 17%, respectively.

It was from last year but Samsung s8 and note 8 sales haven’t been very successful this year either.
    Note 8 only sold an anemic 600,000 units.