Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that Apple's upcoming event will focus on new MacBook Pro models with M3 series chips, which could include the 13-, 14-, and 16-inch models with the M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips. In addition to these machines, a new iMac featuring the M3 chip is also on the table for announcement at the event.
Hmm... So Kuo is saying that Apple will release a 13-inch MacBook Pro (the one with a Touch Bar) with the basic M3 chip, but no MacBook Air will be released. How can that be? The MacBook Air is Apple's best-selling Mac, and Tim Cook prioritizes maximizing profits. So why would Apple not release a MacBook Air? Especially with the holiday shopping season starting in one month?

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
They did age like Toyotas. I even remember PC reviews describing the MBP's with bootcamp as the best windows laptops on the market in their price range.

Now they're aging like Edsels. Timmy's Apple is going to be the stuff of legends for generations of future MBA classes along with GE and Yahoo. Timmy's even making the exact same mistakes they did.

Yawn.

My 2012 MBP lasted until I sold it in 2020. I expect my M1 air to last just as long, if not longer.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Hmm... So Kuo is saying that Apple will release a 13-inch MacBook Pro (the one with a Touch Bar) with the basic M3 chip, but no MacBook Air will be released. How can that be? The MacBook Air is Apple's best-selling Mac, and Tim Cook prioritizes maximizing profits. So why would Apple not release a MacBook Air? Especially with the holiday shopping season starting in one month?

If one thinks through the money lens, lots of conjecture about this event starts breaking down. Most are looking through enthusiastic consumer lenses to see M-base to M-MAX (I've seen a few thinking maybe ULTRA in a MB with some kind of magical heat sink adaptation) and not thinking about it like Apple thinks about it.

To maximize 4th quarter revenue, you want every desirable product to have minimal reasons to WAIT. Like you, I don't know how you do that by immediately dating a bunch of popular Macs to roll out a few with M3. You have to believe those few will drive enough revenue to make up for all those sales they would have realized on those other Macs. That seems like a big bet in the most lucrative quarter of the year. All M2s will immediately be viewed as "old technology" or worse "old technology that 'nobody wanted'" upon the launch of any one with the "latest & greatest" M3.

Wait until Q1 and you can drip-drip-drip out M3 evolutions with relatively little revenue consequences. How to make this make sense is a sudden arrival of M3, M3 PRO and M3 MAX TOGETHER for the first time ever so that several popular models can be updated at the same time. While that's plausible even if it counters to some pattern people think exists in only 2 iterations, to not update the most popular Mac too seems suspect.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
They want to sell more of the higher end models first.

• Love
Reactions: Chuckeee

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Are any other M1 Pro owners considering sitting out still? The M1 Pro is already so ridiculously powerful as it is.

Reactions: Chuckeee

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Same here - instant buy of M3 Max MacBook Pro 16 - still rocking a 2015 MacBook Pro 15
I loved my 2015 MacBook Pro and then I managed to spill sparkling water all over it earlier this year and Apple quoted me over $1K to fix it. I picked up a M2 15" Air to replace it and just love that thing. A M3 Max MBP 16" would be an amazing beast.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
By blow away, I assume you mean they're much faster which is true.

The overall build quality is complete crap. They feel like garbage to the touch, there's so many design and build flaws that you're lucky to get 3 years out of one. Compared to my 2011 which is still going. I guess that's on purpose though, a computer in use after 12 years means lost money for Apple (even if it is good for the environment).

You're forced onto the newer OSes. The current state of MacOS is horrendous, aside from all the well-discussed bugs here, they UI is clunky, it's a broken-down version of the UI designed for iPads with their touch screens and it just doesn't work on a computer.

Timmy took out an ad campaign to brag that he doesn't even know what a computer is. He famously said he doesn't even know why anyone would buy a computer. Mac has clearly been led for the past 7-8 years by someone who doesn't know what a computer is for or why anyone would buy one.

They may be the fastest macs ever made but the design and usability is utter garbage and has been since before Apple Silicon came along.

The era you claim to be durable had defective SATA cables in the MacBooks that were practically a wear item and GPUs that failed regularly. Tell me more about how great they are.

eno12

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
By blow away, I assume you mean they're much faster which is true.

The overall build quality is complete crap. They feel like garbage to the touch, there's so many design and build flaws that you're lucky to get 3 years out of one. Compared to my 2011 which is still going. I guess that's on purpose though, a computer in use after 12 years means lost money for Apple (even if it is good for the environment).

You're forced onto the newer OSes. The current state of MacOS is horrendous, aside from all the well-discussed bugs here, they UI is clunky, it's a broken-down version of the UI designed for iPads with their touch screens and it just doesn't work on a computer.

Timmy took out an ad campaign to brag that he doesn't even know what a computer is. He famously said he doesn't even know why anyone would buy a computer. Mac has clearly been led for the past 7-8 years by someone who doesn't know what a computer is for or why anyone would buy one.

They may be the fastest macs ever made but the design and usability is utter garbage and has been since before Apple Silicon came along.

Build quality: You are dead wrong here. The 16" design is far ahead of the 2011-2015 design. My 2011 MBP had serious issues with the design leading to the screen being replaced twice due to damage on the screen from the keyboard. My 2016 MBP lasted until I got a 2021 M1 Max machine and I sold it in near-pristine condition despite never babying it. My M1 Max looks and works as brand new and will be sold as that when I replace it with an M3 Max next week.

OS: Nothing particularly wrong with Sonoma. It is not clunky and the UI is not based on the iPad in any way. Some of the helper apps now take cues from iOS (settings for example) but that is not UI. Those apps work fine and are rarely used. I take it you have not spent any significant time with the latest versions of macOS or you would know this. You admit to using an ancient system.

Timmy: Who cares. He is not the one designing the systems and likely has very limited input. He is not hands-on like Steve was. It is a loss to not have Steve in the processes but so far things have been fine.

Usability: You must be joking. My Core i9 MBP ran so hot under a light load that it would become totally unusable. Everything, and I mean everything, runs much better on the M1. This includes x86_64 apps. Apple Silicon was a long time coming and everything about it is better. Have fun with your lap warmer.

Reactions: 4odomi and GMShadow

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
The era you claim to be durable had defective SATA cables in the MacBooks that were practically a wear item and GPUs that failed regularly. Tell me more about how great they are.

My 2012 Pro had five SATA cables go bad over its life. After AppleCare expired, I kept a spare at home and swapped it myself.

Reactions: GMShadow

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
I'm mostly interested if new iMacs also means a new Magic mouse with USB-C port. And maybe, just maybe, they finally fix that stupid charge port placement. Or maybe Qi charging... One can dream I guess.

Yes, I'm one of those who actually like the Magic Mouse. Even game with it.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Apple may be planning to launch new Mac models announced at its "Scary Fast" event on Wednesday, November 8, MacRumors has learned.

scary-fast-apple-event-feature.jpg

At the start of the month, MacRumors reported that Apple was proceeding with plans to announce at least one new Mac model in October. Apple yesterday announced its "Scary Fast" event for Monday, October 30, featuring a Finder hint, which virtually confirms the arrival of new Macs. Now, related information provided to MacRumors suggests that new Mac models could launch on Wednesday, November 8 – nine days after the "Scary Fast" event.

While Apple product launches often take place on a Friday, there is precedent for Apple opting for the first Wednesday in November following an October event. For example, at its "There's more in the making" event on Tuesday, October 30, 2018, Apple announced new iPad Pro models. The machines launched on Wednesday, November 7 – eight days later.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that Apple's upcoming event will focus on new MacBook Pro models with M3 series chips, which could include the 13-, 14-, and 16-inch models with the M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips. In addition to these machines, a new iMac featuring the M3 chip is also on the table for announcement at the event.

The M3 chip is widely expected to be fabricated using TSMC's 3nm process for performance and efficiency improvements compared to the current, 5nm-based ‌M2‌ chip, which debuted in June 2022. It will also likely feature an all new GPU with hardware ray-tracing, first introduced on the iPhone 15 Pro's A17 Pro chip last month.

Article Link: New 'Scary Fast' Macs May Launch on Wednesday, November 8
I hope they're not half cooked like the M2's or the iPhone 14's & 15's.....but I'm not holding my breath 😏

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto

Apple may be planning to launch new Mac models announced at its "Scary Fast" event on Wednesday, November 8, MacRumors has learned.

scary-fast-apple-event-feature.jpg

At the start of the month, MacRumors reported that Apple was proceeding with plans to announce at least one new Mac model in October. Apple yesterday announced its "Scary Fast" event for Monday, October 30, featuring a Finder hint, which virtually confirms the arrival of new Macs. Now, related information provided to MacRumors suggests that new Mac models could launch on Wednesday, November 8 – nine days after the "Scary Fast" event.

While Apple product launches often take place on a Friday, there is precedent for Apple opting for the first Wednesday in November following an October event. For example, at its "There's more in the making" event on Tuesday, October 30, 2018, Apple announced new iPad Pro models. The machines launched on Wednesday, November 7 – eight days later.

The M3 chip is widely expected to be fabricated using TSMC's 3nm process for performance and efficiency improvements compared to the current, 5nm-based ‌M2‌ chip, which debuted in June 2022. It will also likely feature an all new GPU with hardware ray-tracing, first introduced on the iPhone 15 Pro's A17 Pro chip last month.

Article Link: New 'Scary Fast' Macs May Launch on Wednesday, November 8
Any chance of getting this graphic without the text?

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
No its not. Raytracing is a game changer for a lot of people. 3D artists will celebrate finally!

Faster for what? Pro is fast enough, air is not gaming ready anyway, m3 won’t have any games, so what? I want Siri less dumb with neural whatever when chatgpt kills the game on a wiko already.

Reactions: 4odomi

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
My 2012 Pro had five SATA cables go bad over its life. After AppleCare expired, I kept a spare at home and swapped it myself.
What device? I replaced the battery in my 15” MBP 2012, and there wasn’t any SATA cables, the SSD was in a slot on the motherboard, similar to M.2 but proprietary

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
What we're overlooking here is that if iMac gets updated with M3 (and M3 Pro???????), that likely means USB-C Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad. Even if standalone purchase accessories are still Lightning, they won't be for too long. Hopefully Apple updates all of that all at once though, and not just the color matched ones that come with iMac.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
You still have your 2014 mini and it still takes modern NVMe? You can still load macOS on it?

I wonder how well a 2023 mac will work in 9 years. Timmy Apple sure does wonders for the environment.

I have two 2014 mini's in active use, an i5 and and i7. They both run Monterey and supposedly run Ventura with Open Core legacy patcher.

If you change the connecter from Apple's to M2 (kits are aonly a few dollars) an M2 NVME will work, but supposedly you only get two of the four lanes. OWC still sells Apple format NVME sticks for those machines, It's probably easier to go that route.

The i5 is in the stereo cabinet where its fusion drive is working just fine. The i7 is the file server. It came with a hard drive (no fusion) and I replaced that with an SSD in 2.5" format, and it has an external drive for the movie collection. The slot for an NVME stick is still open for future adventures.

• Love
Reactions: foliovision
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.