Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Qi charging on the back of the iPad is ridiculous. Apple already uses the 3 point Smart Connector for pass through charging when connected to their keyboards. Why wouldn’t they offer a cord with a 3 pin end that could magnetically connect to the Smart Connector, or what would make the most amount of sense would be to create a MagSafe connector just like their latest MBP’s, and use that for charging on the iPad as well as the iPhone, so that someone with a MBP or likely a coming M2 MBA could use the same MagSafe charger for all devices.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Not a big fan of wireless charging but I guess it will be a great addition and a selling point. Even with faster and improved wireless charging. Can you imagine how long it's going to take to charge the battery? Especially wireless charging with the teeny tiny Apple logo.
Wireless charging is convenient for phones and AirPods, but I don’t see it as necessary for an iPad. If you’re going to put a big, heavy tablet down, you can probably also plug it in. Plus, wireless charging wastes electricity…

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
A big glass Apple on the back of iPad Pro would be quite cool. I would guess they would make some kind of matt with a puck in the middle the iPad would rest on.

The big glass Apple could have a hologram of Jobs in it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
I think Apple and other tech companies are working toward an ecosystem, where coffee tables, desks, etc. will wirelessly charge your device, no matter where you place it. That's the goal.
Like that cool AirPower mat that Apple … oh wait…

In the future all is well I guess ;)

NEV3S

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Not a big fan of wireless charging but I guess it will be a great addition and a selling point. Even with faster and improved wireless charging. Can you imagine how long it's going to take to charge the battery? Especially wireless charging with the teeny tiny Apple logo.
did you read the part where they menetioned, “larger Apple logo made of glass”. A larger glass logo to accommodate the current magsafe size and likely whatever upgraded standard they require for the bigger battery.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
2022 is going to be an expensive year.

wireless charging would be too slow for iPad, no?

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I can see this being convenient when charging the iPad while using it. I often find it uncomfortable to hold the iPad with both hands while the charger is connected. If I could just slap a MagSafe connector on the back, I'd retain all the comfort and easy positioning of the iPad, without having to worry about bumping the connector into anything.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why not make the Apple logo glass and use that as the wireless charging area? Why the entire back?
The article. Did you read it???? 🤔

Anyway, the enclosure will affect the magnetic field lines so much that a glass back would be far preferable for Apple, easier to engineer, and still be faster and more energy efficient than a glass Apple logo. 🤷🏻‍♂️

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
The iPad Pro is about to become a chunky boi, just like the iPhone 7 to 8.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Is there some conversion or ratio with high speed wired charging vs. "fast" wireless charging? It'll vary per device, but say a "typical iPad" takes 3h50 to charge from nearly 2% to full, wireless charging would be 2x to 3x that?!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
My iPad charges every night through the Smart Connector which is via inductive charging. Yes, I have to plug in the keyboard case, but its a great product. Not sure if I would use this feature since I use the keyboard case a stand also when its on my nightstand.

itti

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2019
Why not just a MacBook-style MagSafe? Really awkward to have a wireless MagSafe for a tablet.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
iPads can already charge through the smart connector. It’d make a lot of sense to just magnetically attach something there instead

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand why an iPad needs wireless charging. I really don’t understand it on the iPhone either. It’s a terrible experience, that’s slow, very wasteful, and takes far too long to charge. Magsafe doesn’t really make it better, just proprietary. If Apple is really all in on the idea of wireless charging, then let them bring a system that really works and really makes sense. Let’s make sure that it’s available everywhere. I can go out and buy a 120 Thousand dollar Cadillac Escalade, that won’t properly charge my iPhone, unless I plug it into a cable. Which defeats the entire purpose of wireless CarPlay. This is a very un- Apple like experience. Why don’t they fix it?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
To be honest I think this is just laying the foundation for MagSafe 2 which can also transmit data as well as charge…

This will then pave the way for a 2nd Gen Magic Keyboard with MagSafe… removing the 3 pin smart connector entirely.

Wireless charging is as pointless on the iPad as reverse wireless charging, the thing has less than 10 hours battery life according to Apple which in real world usage is less, why would you want to completely drain your iPad battery to charge up AirPods and iPhones etc…

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Can you imagine how long it's going to take to charge the battery? Especially wireless charging with the teeny tiny Apple logo.
„the report claims that Apple has developed iPad Pro prototypes with a larger Apple logo made of glass“

I love wireless charging as practical for interoperability of device power management. This year around I am gong to switch to the mobile model iPad Pro as just easier than switching iPhone's personal hotspot on and I can be less dependent on the iPhone. I rely heavily on my  Watch mobile data as I can leave my iPhone laying on café table whilst I order coffee and breakfast.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
And it might have a convenient hole cut in it perfect for filling with salsa! Because nothing goes better with an iPad than salsa and chips!

I can predict things too!

dzankizakon

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
On one desk you might have MacBook with MagSafe, iPhone with the MagSafe puck, AirPods Max with Lightning cable and iPad Pro with USB-C charging. It's NOT elegant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.