Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Hey, if the best I could do against Apple's iPhone in over 2 years is the N97, I'd probably start suing as well. :D

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I tink that one of the pioneers of modern telecommunication want what they deserve.

Without Nokia (and the others involved in the development of gsm technology), you wouldn't have an iPhone.

Nokia had most of the market share back in the day but they stopped innovating and were lively off their monopoly. Now instead of trying to get to the same level as Apple & Google, they are trying to bring Apple down to their level.

Apple owes them nothing.

bunty

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
I'm sick of all these stupid patent lawsuits. It just wastes time and company's money and makes the company suing look like a whiny little kid.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Go Nokia :) I will always buy nokia as they are built in the EU and in these harsh times it's only right to support your own, plus when people have gotten bored of the iPhones that practically use all nokia's engineering in the infrastructure (see NokiaSiemens Networks) then the Nokias of the world (many many many times more than Apple can dream of) will be carrying on regardless.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
If I'm not mistaken, Apple has a history of losing these kinds of battles. The first one that comes to mind is the Creative UI lawsuit but there have been others.

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
LOL Apple has them spooked like that?? Impressive!

Okay, I could understand when the filed suit the first time, nothing that isn't typical for people suing Apple, but now Nokia is adding devices that don't even apply to them in the suit. What the hell does the Mac have to do with what your business entails which is making cellular devices?? And there is no way in the pit of hell they actually think that Mac OS was there previous idea. LMAO. I am actually interested to see this one go down. :D :apple:

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
Desperate.

Wow, Nokia must be scared ******** if they're pulling this.

The only thing you don't want to do, other than directly competing with a runaway hit Apple product, is to try and sue Apple.

I wonder if they have a silver platter that they'd like their asses handed to them on.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
you would think so wouldn't you. it's like they let Apple embed the "patented work" into the product line to increase the spectrum of use. Bigger fuss = bigger money.
i'd say that with ignoring that for such a long time they practically implied their permission.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Nokia is refusing to license to Apple on the same terms they license to everyone else. Apple should have gone with Restraint of Trade.

Nokia going to the US ITC seems strange and desperate.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Anyone got any specifics about the functionality behind the patents that Nokia are claiming are in the Mac?

Given that in the counter-suit Apple pulled a 1991 patent on them to disallow pop up menu's, scrolling, on-screen buttons and the like this maybe just blind panic on Nokia's part, but it'd be real nice for someone who knows the Nokia patents to outline their allegations.

Unless Im mistaken I would think Apple and Microsoft are pretty solid on who owns an 'Operating system' functionality right?

Does this mean Nokia then go after Microsoft, Sony, Dell and everyone else cos I'm dam sure whatever it is they're alleging against Apple is clearly present in every and any Microsoft and it's hardware proxy manufacturers products as well?

If there is the tiniest chance of Apple losing big-time they may well just buy Nokia for cash. If Nokia lose then they really are out of hte mobile phone business forever ;)

Vmaatta

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Grow up..

Not to defend Nokia or anything but...

1) Nokia might actually have a case. They we're involved in the initial development of GSM and other technologies used so they certainly have the patents.
2) This thing certainly didn't start in the past few months. Quite a few geniuses saying this law suit is coming out of nowhere after 3 years. Discussions have been going on for years between Nokia and Apple as has been reported earlier by MacRumors and other places..
3) "How do you spell "Nokia?" P S Y S T A R" That comparison is just idiotic :eek:.
4) "The clowns in Finland or wherever the heck they are.." Yeah it's Finland, nice of you to find out some of the background info on Nokia :rolleyes:.
5) "Best answer to fools: never ever buy any product by Nokia. Ever." How about this one: Find out the facts, if not known yet, wait for the court ruling before making such proclamations. Think.
6) Apple has made the countersuit about some other patents. If there's any merit in that, the companies will likely make a deal.

I'm Finnish and also an iPhone owner.. not on either company's side on this one. Nokia certainly owns the patents but who knows if Nokia is asking unfair prices like Apple says or if Apple is simply trying to get a cheap ride.. or give Nokia a bad name which they are certainly doing. They certainly have the money to play like that.

Nokia needs to make better phones (especially the OS side). I'm certainly disappointed to see the #1 Finnish company producing such crappy products lately. But that doesn't mean Nokia would be wrong to pursue fair compensation for use of their patented technology.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Nokia - NOK Market cap 49.7B
P/E - 80! Ick.
Div yield: 4.24% (2.11B)
Price Growth: -17%

Apple - AAPL Market cap 188.5B
P/E - 33
Div yield: 0%
Price Growth: +144%

Leveraged buyout! I bet you could get 6% non-recourse 30 year funding right now for the $50B.

Then Apple would OWN any disputed patents as well as a cash flow to cover the finance cost.

The problem with the lawsuits in multiple jurisdictions is the possibility of MAD.

Rocketman

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Oh Please, this is pathetic Nokia. Stop being a company that makes its' money off of lawsuits and instead focus on making a better product.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Yes, this seems futile, as "virtually all" software companies must infringe on these patents. It seems obviously political that Apple is being singled out as the one to be made an example of. I think they'll have a hard time proving to a reasonable justice system that Apple has infringed upon Nokia's proprietary patents in "virtually all of its mobile phones, portable music players, and computers," but don't forget, Nokia has a secret weapon lying at the bottom of a nearby Finnish lake: Mustakrakish.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
after years of products in the market, out of nowhere Nokia suddenly noticed these patent violations, … isn't there a deadline for making such claims?

can't wait that in round 3 Nokia will move to some eastern texas court.

IMO the lifetime of patents should be shortened massively, to give companies some motivation to move forward and keep innovating.

And you have to wonder why Nokia didn't use their own patented ideas, if they are so wonderful, to come out with any innovative products themselves!

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
Not to defend Nokia or anything but…
5) "Best answer to fools: never ever buy any product by Nokia. Ever." How about this one: Find out the facts, if not known yet, wait for the court ruling before making such proclamations. Think.

I would never ever say in advance that a court is ruling right or fair. guess only idealist can think so.

...Who knows, maybe a group of lawyers already making winter vacation in Finland just to prepare for everything

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
This is a very clever move. There is the potential of banning all Apple products manufactured overseas, from entering the USA.

It would only mean that Apple would have to manufacture things in the States. I bet they're already making prototypes there, but produce most of the stuff where it is cheaper.

The rest of the world would however still have to settle for the China-manufactured gear :p

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Psystar's revenge... What goes around comes around

Hmmm... maybe it's time to leave the iCrap iToys behind and get back to the business of making REALLY cutting edge desktop computers with Blu-ray for starters.

But then, that would just be the logical long-range course of action.

Not the short-range quest for the next iCrap iGadget FAD.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.