Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
So is your definition of "dud" what? Less than a million sold the first week? Just checking... :rolleyes:
Less than the previous launches.
Kind of like when they do sequels to movies.
People get tired of the same marketing schemes and catch on to hype.
The abundant stock I seen tonight speaks volumes.
The deceptive tactics to dim the brightness on the iPad2 is also bad marketing practice and displays desperation for sales.

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I went to Best Buy and an Apple store tonight and noticed some marketing schemes they are doing to push the new iPad as being better than the iPad2.

They have the new iPad and iPad2 next to each other so screen comparisons can be made.

I agree that the new iPad screen looks sharper when it's about 12 inches from my face but any further, the difference in screen resolutions and sharpness is about equal.

Also, they have the iPad2 brightness toned done to 50% where the new iPad is at 100% brightness to fool people into believing the new iPad screen has more color saturation and vibrant picture.

To make sure people get realistic comparisons, I turned up the brightness on the iPad2. :D
When the brightness is equal between the two iPads, the iPad2 actually looks better due to its cool color temp, whereas the new iPad looks dingy, yellow when you view the google home page when you have the iPad2 next to it for comparison when both have equal brightness.

Also, I created a google short cut on both the new iPad and the iPad 2.
When I would click the icons simultaneously, thr iPad2 always had the page up about a 1/2 seconds quicker than the new iPad.

If woould only recommend then new iPad to those who have no iPad.
IMO, it's not worth of an upgrade and the abundant amount of stock I seen tonight at Best Buy and the Apple store speaks volumes on people's perception on the new iPad.

Out of the 3 iPad launches, I would say this one was a dud.

I caught on to there trick also when I was in best buy today. The sales folks were using iPad 2's with the brightness turned down to make the new iPad stand out. I went ahead and purchased one based on the richness of the colors displayed. I also had the sales folks give me access to there in-store wifi so I could download solid color images to test bleed or pixel issues. I learned my lesson last time to fully test an iPad before I walked out the door.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I really noticed the retina when I loaded up my iBooks library and I could read all the book covers lol. Everything is so clean and crispy!!

thefreeagent

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
New Mexico
Ummmm....yeah.

Not blown away, eh? So sorry for you.

Well, I for one went to take a look at my iPad 2 screen after an hour or two on my new iPad, and HOLY **** does it ever make a difference!!!

What was good before (and, it must be said, the iPad 2 has a pretty great screen) now looks like crap by comparison!

It really is a dramatic difference, more than I realized after first firing the new iPad up the afternoon. I'm spoiled now, and even my mid-2011 iMac looks rougher than it did earlier today!!! Damn.....

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
People need to stop down-voting the OP for his opinions on the color temp of his display. The display in the picture is defective.

I got 2 iPads today. Both were the same model, I intended to return one of them unopened, but lucky for me I opened them both. After using every iPhone and iPad iteration since release, I have developed a consistent expectation what the iOS keyboard is supposed to look like. The instant the keyboard popped up to ask the wireless password during setup I knew something was "off"

I compared the 2 new iPads with my iPad 2. The iPad 2 has the coolest color temp of the three. One of the new iPads is warmer - this is what some reviewers have described as "pleasantly warmer". The other new iPad, the "off" iPad, is WAY warm. I don't mean warm for my tastes, I mean out of spec defective warm.

My wife shoots a full frame DSLR Nikon D700. I'm not the greatest at using her stuff, but the attached photos show as best I could the difference in the three. I just used the wide 24mm lens she had on so there is some bowing in the corners, but that isn't relevant here. The white balance is at least close enough that one can compare the three displays in relation to each other.

In all shots the order is from left to right:
  • new iPad - "good" display
  • new iPad - "bad" display
  • iPad 2

The first shot is a control shot of sorts showing that I have them set at reasonably the same brightness. I set both the new iPads under the "&" in "Brightness & Wallpaper". I tried to do the same with the iPad 2, but it was so much brighter than the others at that setting it was going to make the exposure weird so I bumped it down a little. In lighter shades like this the dirty whites/greys show up WAY more than you notice warm colors on the home screen.

This is a shot of this thread. When I looked at the OP's pic of his bad screen on my bad screen I laughed out loud; it really is laughably bad in person.

This last one is the only one I needed to see to be out on this screen. The second that keyboard pulled up I knew that iPad was going back.

I really like the new iPad, but the screen that is in the bad one would have me heartbroken if I hadn't gotten an itch to just run to Walmart instead of waiting till 4:00 on the FexEx guy.

The OP needs to just return that iPad. I don't mean get it warrantied or have a genius argue over "within spec" or not, I mean take it the #@$@ back for a refund and buy another one. Hopefully there are enough good ones out there that it is not a huge issue.

If anyone out there is thinking about replying that I'm being picky - develop some standards for Pete's sake. If it's supposed to be silver and it's got a brown tint then it sucks. This is America, and in America when something sucks, you get your money back.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
The deceptive tactics to dim the brightness on the iPad2 is also bad marketing practice and displays desperation for sales.

Quite a few Best Buy stores sold out here before 5p, even. I got the last model of my kind, and I was there in the morning when the store opened.

"Deceptive tactics" are not needed, if a salesperson has to do that, then they really aren't representing the product properly.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
It will go away. Give it a week.

Do people read one fact on a subject and assume all instances of everything in the universe will follow suit? There was an issue with the iPhone 4 because the glue holding the glass to the LCD had not cured, there IS NO such issue with the iPad because there IS NO epoxy fusing the glass to the LCD display.

If you don't care to provide accurate information then why post? Is this your method for dealing with strange medical conditions as well?

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Do people read one fact on a subject and assume all instances of everything in the universe will follow suit? There was an issue with the iPhone 4 because the glue holding the glass to the LCD had not cured, there IS NO such issue with the iPad because there IS NO epoxy fusing the glass to the LCD display.

If you don't care to provide accurate information then why post? Is this your method for dealing with strange medical conditions as well?

Whoa calm the nerd rage down some. I said give it a week buddy. Yes if you go to a doctor with a minor symptom that could go away in a short time he usually will have you take some time before going full bore with tests and medicine. Since you are such an expert on the new iPad construction please tell us all in detail how you build one. I was wondering what's the exact color temp of the new displays backlight?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010

100% spot on. Its not glue. Its never been glue. It never will be glue. Yet d bags keep insisting its glue. Talk about blind sheep.

Ishmumrhmn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
Well I have to say that I am seriously sick to death of trying to pray for clear displays with Apple products. I've been dealing with this since the 3GS. I dont know why they dont give a color temp opton. Since this is my first iPad, I wanted to make sure others have clearer displays, or if Apple intentionally does a warm tint in the pad. Seems like it shouldnt be this dingy.

You can jailbreak your idevice(if there's one for it) and get a cydia tweak called f.lux
I use it all the time and its for warm colours and cooll ones.
This tweak is also good for your eyes as at night, the colours go warmmmmm

poloboogie

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
if i were you i would think apple, its because of them that now you know you have eye problems and should get them checked asap

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
if i were you i would think apple, its because of them that now you know you have eye problems and should get them checked asap

Look at Fry Mans post with the pictures. Do those 3 displays look the same to you? If not, I'm right. If so, youre the one who needs an eye exam.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
You can jailbreak your idevice(if there's one for it) and get a cydia tweak called f.lux
I use it all the time and its for warm colours and cooll ones.
This tweak is also good for your eyes as at night, the colours go warmmmmm

I use ColorProfiles to great effect.

I got a 4s about a month ago after waiting 8 weeks for stock. Immediately noticed the yellow tint vs my old 4. Pretty upsetting. ColorProfiles sorted the temp out though...

d6bc09fb.jpg

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

I'm not going to defend Best Buys tactics. They sound awful. But to call the launch of the iPad a dud is a bit much. Just because there wasn't mass hysteria and everyone who wanted one got one doesn't mean they sold less. It means they made more.

I guess we'll have to wait until the next financial analyst call to know for sure, but dud is not the word I suspect they'll use to describe this launch.

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
Mine is tinted on the cooler/blue side. I love it. I do notice the brightness is different though, but it isn't a big deal. I don't need it to slap me in the face with beaming light.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
Nope it's you that is blinded by Apple-hype. I'd LOVE to put an Apple 2 and Apple 3 display in front of you at normal reading distances and hide the backs in a blind comparison test to see if you can REALLY tell the difference. I've already done this and most people got it WRONG.

Tony

----------

Huh? That's a camera MP resolution thing, not DISPLAY resolution. :rolleyes:

Tony

You are trolling or extremely stupid.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'm not going to defend Best Buys tactics. They sound awful. But to call the launch of the iPad a dud is a bit much. Just because there wasn't mass hysteria and everyone who wanted one got one doesn't mean they sold less. It means they made more.

I guess we'll have to wait until the next financial analyst call to know for sure, but dud is not the word I suspect they'll use to describe this launch.
The dimming of the iPad2 was not just BB.
The Apple store in the mall were doing the same thing.

We run the brightness at about 70%.
100% will burn out your retina but it makes a good marketing ploy to fool potential customers into believing the new iPad is better because it's brighter.

Last edited:

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Of course the retina display is a huge difference and sales are of the charts. These things are obvious and saying otherwise is just embarrassing. This is not a subsidized phone and requires significantly more spend so you aren't going to see iPhone style lines. They are sold out online. The sales numbers will be amazing.
Troll elsewhere.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Im impressed by the screen, but I do wonder how many people would choose a retina display over Apple putting that new battery in an iPad 2 for 20-30hrs battery life.

SamFisher

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
United Kingdom
At first when reading your post last night, i was like. You so crazy!

But after seeing it today... don't get me wrong it's really nice but i didn't get that wow effect i got with the iPhone, perhaps because i am so used to my iPhone 4's display.

That being said, i am expecting one to be delivered on the 10th april. Upgrading form gen 1 and can't wait anyway! :D

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I would like to think I'm in the same boat as lot of people when I say it didn't wow me. That's not the say I'm not impressed but I have already seen the retina display 2 years ago on my iPhone. This is just a larger version.

That being stated, after using my iPad for multiple hours shows me that the true effects of this screen are long term effects. I mean, seriously I never EVER had an issue with my macbook air 11 inch (which has good pixel density). but now, I can see all the blemishes and it's actually RUINING my eyes (the macbook air). I'm so use such clear screen that everything else is blurrier.

I'm scared for my eyes.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
At first when reading your post last night, i was like. You so crazy!

But after seeing it today... don't get me wrong it's really nice but i didn't get that wow effect i got with the iPhone, perhaps because i am so used to my iPhone 4's display.

That being said, i am expecting one to be delivered on the 10th april. Upgrading form gen 1 and can't wait anyway! :D
The iPhone screen is small and you naturally hold it close to your face, hence you can benefit from the retina display.

With the iPad, the ideal distance between the eyes and screen is about 10-12 inches.
At these distances, the retina display looks marginally sharper.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Of course the retina display is a huge difference and sales are of the charts. These things are obvious and saying otherwise is just embarrassing. This is not a subsidized phone and requires significantly more spend so you aren't going to see iPhone style lines. They are sold out online. The sales numbers will be amazing.
Troll elsewhere.

Have you even read he thread? The OP is not saying the screen is crap from a resolution/sharpness standpoint, he's pointing out a defective color temperature on his display. This is a valid criticism and has nothing to do with lines or any of the other crap you posted. Your post is embarrassing and the only tolls here are people citing sales numbers in a hardware defect thread.

The only mistake the the OP made was just in assuming he got a representative example of the new display. The display in question is NOT representative of the new screen and is defective. Rather than help the user diagnose the issue everyone is telling him to get his eyes checked, which is total Apple fanboy bull crap. I love Apple products but every now and then every company is going to have a genuine defect.

These 2 examples of off temp displays are NOT to imply a greater issue with the retina display on the iPad, they are simply defects in a relatively new manufacturing chain. This is a fact - people can continue to offer opinions like it is a debate or open point, but the crux of the matter is the OP's display is defective.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Since you are such an expert on the new iPad construction please tell us all in detail how you build one. I was wondering what's the exact color temp of the new displays backlight?

Sure - here you go:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-3-4G-Teardown/8277/1

See that's where I differ from some users, I actually did the research BEFORE I posted. I don't have to be able to build one to know the screen is not glued on, I just have to be smart enough to READ information available to everyone. I can say with 100% certainty that the glass front is glued to the frame and NOT directly to the surface of the LCD panel.

As for the statement on the backlight temp, we cannot draw any consistent conclusions on this as we CAN see that the color temp of the screens vary, but we CAN'T see what is causing it. Is it that backlight being an inconsistent temp? Is it the pixels in the LCD that have the tint? Could it be a software profile for screen run A being used on screen run B? The only way to know the color temp of the backlight on a particular iPad may very well be to examine that particular device...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.