Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
student? soap dodger? 2 iphones... greedy..

me... employed, booked day off holiday after watching keynote.. hehe..

this will be my third iphone...

my first (8gb) blew itself up inside, after i docked it on a speaker dock
my second (16gb) is working perfectly fine, and i'll probably use that as my works phone once there is a 2.0 hack for it..
my third, will become my main phone, but unforunately i lose my nice number i have currently on t-mob... i'll go back to my old one, that people people still have in their phone books for me..

and seeing the video on youtube, of the white one... i think i'll get a 16gb black, and be happy with it... it just looks odd in white..

and i can't sleep.... should i just drive down to the store now to start queueing... albeit in the car with the heaters on.. and windscreen wipers... *LOL*

as for the mcdonalds.. i think the dewsbury branch is next door to mcd's... haha..
and for the queue... hmm... 2 double and sausage egg mcmuffins, and 3 hash browns.. that'll last about 15 mins...

As for your old iPhone, I think you may be able to activate it with your new upgraded contract and use that as a backup phone :), I hope :confused:

markym07931

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Soap dodger? Not really...although I'm at home for the summer (eurgh) and showering will definitely wake my parents up, which will make me unpopular at 5:30am...so if anyone sees an unshowered-looking guy in Leeds, it could be me ;)

same goes for the unshowered, tired looking bloke in dewsbury...

oooh.. shiny shiny iphone... can't wait..

M

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Have we had any more news on if the White model will be sold alongside the Black?

I remember reading that the Black model was the only one available at this time. :(

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I just walked past the O2 store on the Strand, and the queue was at least 40 or 50 people. Knowing they only have about 10 16GB numbers (and the fact that I really had to be at work by 8.45am) meant I had to give it a miss. :(

Oh well. I'm beginning to think I'm gonna wait until I can get my hands on a white one anyway. Maybe.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
A queue of about 20 people in my tiny little town (Beeston) quickly dissolved after a 25 minute delay in opening due to "system problems" and the announcement that no 16gb models would be available.

Complete failure here in the UK.

salanddaz

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Christchurch, UK
The o2 shop by me had about 40 people in line at 8am so went to the carphone arehouse who had no one queuing as they opened at 7:02am and sold their 3 16gb and now are on mail order. I tried to sign up and the systems crashed so have to go back at lunch. Just think all of the o2, apple and cpw store trying to put all those orders through. So I am iphone less today, they had 8gb but would not give into temptation

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Jesus, O2 completely ruined the UK launch.. this isn't happening anywhere else.

I won't have a phone for like a month now, my old iPhone is busted.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Jesus, O2 completely ruined the UK launch.. this isn't happening anywhere else.

Im sitting back and watching all this from afar. Im not going to sign up for another contract so im going to wait till PAYG...BUT i will buy a 1st gen from a friend or MR member, so i am hoping they get their 2nd gens today........but christ, O2 have royally c**ked this one up! How can they get away with it?

And if over the next few hours many people from MR posts they didnt get hold of a phone today, who the hell is buying the very little stock??

onestream

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
Am currently in line at Apple Regent Street - total standstill due to O2 web site malfunctioning :mad:, no-one seems to have left with a phone yet, even though the store person claims they have. They also claim to have "no shortage" of phones and they do have the white 16G.

drenk1976

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Even in Macclesfield, there's 30 people outside the o2 shop some of whom seem to have been told they will be unlucky. CPW got a massive 8, of which one is mine, I hope, when bloody o2's system comes back up. I popped out to get a coffee at Caffe Nero and there was a BT Openzone sign, so I thought I'd see if that worked on my old phone as was meant to launch today. To my surprise, I got a screen along the lines of "welcome o2 customer, please enter mobile number". I did, and got a message saying it would take up to 2 mins to check number. 5 mins later, I gave up. It's nice to see that o2 are consistently crap.

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Widnes, Cheshire, England.
Just got home from the Widnes o2 store, they only had 13 iPhones (10x 8gb - 3x 16gb) I was 15th in the queue (and really wanted a 16gb) and because there is a system failure there was no hope of anyone failing the credit check.

Never mind, will wait til the next delivery..

oh, the CPW over the road only got 2 iPhones, what a joke.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
If you go in store to CPW they have already unofficially started the mail order programme. You can get a 16gb iPhone, next day delivery, for a £15 fee.

I paid it, I have no phone, what could I do.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
So by the sounds of it the 40 people standing outside the O2 store on the Strand are probably still there? Damn, thank God I didn't queue. I'll wait a few weeks, make do with iPhone 2.0 and get a 16GB in white whenever they come along.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
This is going about as smoothly as O2's promised, but not delivered, EDGE rollout.

I like my iPhone1. I'm happy to wait this one out. 3G coverage on O2 isn't all that anyway.

martg

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
About thirty people at the Newcastle Monument store. Only eight 16gb iphones and i got one so feel relieved! The o2 gateway system and security checks failed completely though as obviously with no staggered opening times everyone tried to sign their customers up at once! The staff were ace though and after completing sign up manually (which means we wont be activated until tonight/ tomorrow - when the system resets)i got to walk out with my new toy and head home to bed! and most importantly a bath as good old England likes to remind us that its summer by torrent-ing all night...

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
If you go in store to CPW they have already unofficially started the mail order programme. You can get a 16gb iPhone, next day delivery, for a £15 fee.

I paid it, I have no phone, what could I do.

So they f**k up the stock levels, the credit check system and generally the launch, THEN they want and extra £15 to get one to you.

WOW. Just WOW. The level of incompetence from O2 just gets higher and higher.

drenk1976

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
So by the sounds of it the 40 people standing outside the O2 store on the Strand are probably still there? Damn, thank God I didn't queue. I'll wait a few weeks, make do with iPhone 2.0 and get a 16GB in white whenever they come along.

I suspect they'll still be there when you pop out for an sandwich. I don't know if this is true, but somoone in CPW told me that each upgrade for iPhone has to be individually authorised by a human being at o2 head office. If I'd been that person, I would have rung in sick!

markym07931

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
meadowhall

no one has left the store yet with an activated one!

The do have loads, White ones too. Sod o2..I went to 2 stores and they had 6 16gb in stock!

Just gotta wait a few hours. Systems are foobared

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I suspect they'll still be there when you pop out for an sandwich. I don't know if this is true, but somoone in CPW told me that each upgrade for iPhone has to be individually authorised by a human being at o2 head office. If I'd been that person, I would have rung in sick!

Hopefully they mean 'a human being' in a generic term, not just some poor guy called Trevor!

Although, if true, that might mean that in-store upgrades for existing iPhone customers won't last forever (well, until the Oct. cut off anyway)... I'd much rather pop into an O2 store to buy the phone rather than waiting for delivery.

onestream

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
The first customer just left Regent Street with an activated Iphone, after trying for more than 2 hours...

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
The first customer just left Regent Street with an activated Iphone, after trying for more than 2 hours...

Wow, so even Apples rollout of its prized new kit is going well! Of course the bottleneck is O2 (surprise, surprise!), so if disgruntled customers at the flagship UK store are having problems then at least it'll get back to Mr Jobs, then he can decide wether he wants to keep O2 as the only carrier in the UK.

Bye Bye O2, its not long for you now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.