Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
I just can't wait to download this app. Now that Apple has approved Opera for the iPhone, I want to see it on the iPad. My, I am salivating at the mere thought.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
So does this open the door for other browsers? Firefox, Chrome, etc?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
btw, the UI is absolutely horrid. Very fast, but that is the only good thing about it. No momentum scrolling, no tap statusbar to scroll to top. It feels like a windows mo app more than an iPhone app.

crobi

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
I don't know why people are so surprise that Opera is accepted. Just make a search on the keyword "BROWSER" in the AppStore and you will find a ton of web browser, so why Apple will not accept the Opera one?

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
So does this open the door for other browsers? Firefox, Chrome, etc?

i doubt it. the opera mini browser is not rendering the pages right on the phone. the web sites are actually interactive pictures, streamed to the device. there is no code executed on the device itself, other than the UI.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Works well so far, haven't run it on my 3G (3.1.3) but it works well in 4.0 on my 3rd Gen iPod touch.

Certainly very snappy, not sure if it will replace mobile Safari (VERY early days yet) but it's pretty nice to use.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I don't know why people are so surprise that Opera is accepted. Just make a search on the keyword "BROWSER" in the AppStore and you will find a ton of web browser, so why Apple will not accept the Opera one?

those 'browsers' are just skins for the webkit engine on the phone. opera is not.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Surprised, but pleasantly so, that Apple approved this. I guess they didn't see it as much of a threat.

I think it's more than that. I think for one, Apple wanted to divert the "hate" that's been going on lately especially with this SDK/ADOBE thing. Secondly, I think Apple wants to try and continue to hold the mobile browsing lead (ahead of Android) so putting Opera out there will probably spike up browsing traffic for iPhones (thats just a guess).

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Bit of a cross-post from my comment on the iPad forum but my initial impressions:

Hellishly fast!

Unfortunately it's got a few things to sort out before I'll be happy with it, on the iPhone at least:

* The default zoom/resolution on an iPhone is too large, so you can't read the text
* It seems to switch randomly between defaulting to 1:1 style zoom level and the entire page
* There's no proper zooming, there's a pinch gesture but it just switches between 1:1 and full
* Auto-correct doesn't work (it's surprising how much I used it)

I've always quite liked the Opera browser on the desktop and I think it shows a lot of promise but it's got some fixing to be done before I'll be using the iPhone version long term. It'll be interesting to see people's findings on the iPad one.

Definitely looking forward to 1.1, like I say it's blazingly fast and I'm sure once they've worked the kinks out it'll be awesome.

Jakeoster

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
We'll see how it is, I honestly don't believe that it will eclipse the use of Safari for most people.

enberg

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
btw, the UI is absolutely horrid. Very fast, but that is the only good thing about it. No momentum scrolling, no tap statusbar to scroll to top. It feels like a windows mo app more than an iPhone app.
Yeah, and the pinch to zoom bit zooms is way to sensitive.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Don't forget the PR aspect

People have been calling Stevo "Darth Vader" right to his face.

It must take a toll. ;)

So maybe they will lighten up before some chick in a running suit throws a Olympic hammer through an Apple store front window.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
We'll see how it is, I honestly don't believe that it will eclipse the use of Safari for most people.

very true, most people don't even know that opera exists and they don't have need for another browser. This is the reason people still use IE, it comes default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.