Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skunkape123

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
from the looks of it it looks like it functions this way:

1) Install an app that uses passbook (I tested with walgreens)
2) Register for something that would allow you to add a card to passbook (I just registered for the rewards card)
3) When it asks to add to passbook, choose it.
4) When you open passbook now, it has your card there getting updates from whoever created it.

It kinda stinks you need the app to use the passbook features, i was kinda hoping to just have passbook without any of the random apps. But still hopefully that will help people get started.

Also i dont see where starbucks has updated their app to support it quite yet

what about for...fandango for example? this should be supported now, however it doesn't actually show up in passbook when you open the app.

nabechu

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
what about for...fandango for example? this should be supported now, however it doesn't actually show up in passbook when you open the app.

Apps won't show up unless you bought something through the app or have something associated to it like a gift card. So once you buy some movie tickets through fandango, it'll show up in passbook with your tickets. Then when you use the ticket, it goes away.

Skunkape123

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Apps won't show up unless you bought something through the app or have something associated to it like a gift card. So once you buy some movie tickets through fandango, it'll show up in passbook with your tickets. Then when you use the ticket, it goes away.

ahhh ok.

makes sense.

thanks!

lukin2006

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Is it possible that when you click "app store" at the bottom of passbook and it won't allow you to connect to itunes store is because apple is intending to create a passbook category, which they have not done yet that it will connect to?

evanyanks37

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
from the looks of it it looks like it functions this way:

1) Install an app that uses passbook (I tested with walgreens)
2) Register for something that would allow you to add a card to passbook (I just registered for the rewards card)
3) When it asks to add to passbook, choose it.
4) When you open passbook now, it has your card there getting updates from whoever created it.

It kinda stinks you need the app to use the passbook features, i was kinda hoping to just have passbook without any of the random apps. But still hopefully that will help people get started.

Also i dont see where starbucks has updated their app to support it quite yet

worked for me thanks :)

djyoungcity

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Everyone be ready for the flood of people asking where their apple giftcards and starbucks cards are.

They will come. Give the devs some time. Im sure they have already submitted the update, just waiting on apple to push it through approval.

AGEC2008

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Sigh

I think my problem is going to be that most of the apps I have were bought under my @mac.com (itunes/app store user id), and passport uses my icloud account which is @me.com account. Since apple doesn't allow for merging multiple ID's does anyone see another way of doing this other than redownloading all my apps under my icloud account name? Thoughts? Suggestions?

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Does ayone know how to work Passbook? I tried to press 'app store' but it couldn't connect to itunes. Meh, I nneeed help!

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I think my problem is going to be that most of the apps I have were bought under my @mac.com (itunes/app store user id), and passport uses my icloud account which is @me.com account. Since apple doesn't allow for merging multiple ID's does anyone see another way of doing this other than redownloading all my apps under my icloud account name? Thoughts? Suggestions?

If this is right, that's a major issue as wife and I use same iTunes/App account but have separate iCloud accounts.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Passbook sucks (so far)...I updated to the new Fandango and when I click on Passbook it tries sending me to the iTunes Store which doesn't work.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This is totally different than I thought it would be. I thought I would be able to scan the barcodes on my store cards and they would be in my passbook.

I mean I get that the website exists where you can make your own but a lot of mine are local stores that aren't on there and I have NO idea how I would go about making one from scratch.

Cool that I can do one for CVS but that is about it. :/

It would be awesome if I could just scan my barcodes and have them show up in there automatically.

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Target app just added passbook support, mentions coupons in the description. Also I was able to delete the walgreens app after adding my balance card to passbook and the card still shows up.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly

I just did a test and logged into iTunes/App store with my iCloud account.
Still said " can't connect to iTunes".

So hopefully you are incorrect.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I want to use Passbook but I doubt I'll ever be able to use it.

I wish Apple didn't force everyone to have Passbook/Newsstand installed.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Passbook sucks (so far)...I updated to the new Fandango and when I click on Passbook it tries sending me to the iTunes Store which doesn't work.

Again, for Fandango, do the following:

1. Open the Fandango app and log in with your account.
2. Go to Purchases
3. If any of your recent purchases through the Fandango app had a QR code, there should be a button at the bottom of that purchase that allows you to add it to Passbook. If you click on that button, you should see Fandango in Passbook. Not all theaters support mobile ticketing & QR codes, so it's possible that your purchases still won't show up in Passbook (which was the case for me).

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I think Apple has done a very poor job of explaining how Passbook works. Even the built-in users' guide under Safari hasn't been updated to reflect the changes in iOS 6 - maybe when that happens there will be less confusion.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think Apple has done a very poor job of explaining how Passbook works.

I agree. Most people are under the impression that the apps will just show up in Passbook, and given the way it was demonstrated, it's hard to fault them for believing that.

pittman87

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
If this is right, that's a major issue as wife and I use same iTunes/App account but have separate iCloud accounts.

It's not an issue. I share the same iTunes/App account with my girlfriend and we both have separate iCloud accounts and Passbook is working fine for me. Remember everyone, the app has to support Passbook for you to be able to use Passbook.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
to fix the setting in passbook....Go to Settings>General>Date and Time>Set Automatically>Off. Set the date one year ahead. Try to update the apps again. If you get an error message, go back to the settings. Correct the date and time (set automatically) then go back and try to update the apps again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.