Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazorBackXX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2023
hey my friends, so im having an issue. my photo library on my MacBook matches the one in the cloud I have photos download on. its taking up so much space on my Mac. but the weird thing is inside the photo library its a lot smaller. I pressed Cmd A & its a lot smaller then the photo library its self what is taking up like 200GB People? Keywords? Albums? Smart Albums? I don't understand. I posted some screenshots so you guys can get a visual view. any advice would be great

ill end this by saying I right clicked on photo library & show contents & I found two folders resources & originals
the originals is really close to the photo library when I do Cmd A inside the photo library

but resources has over 200GB in there? can I delete anything inside there? is there a catch I can clear?

thanks my friends. ive only got 50GB left on my Mac SSD lol so anything will help. I don't want to optimize as I do a lot of video & photo editing & I prefer it be left on downloads.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.32.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.32.01 PM.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.31.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.31.54 PM.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.53.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.53.48 PM.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.54.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 5.54.02 PM.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 48

RhetTbull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
You cannot safely delete *anything* in the Photos library. If you do, you risk corrupting the library. The contents of the Photos library should be managed by Photos. "resources" contains previews and edited versions of your photos & videos. "originals" contains the original copies. If you need to save space you have 3 options: 1) select "Optimize Mac Storage" in `Photos >Settings > iCloud`2) move the Photos library to an external drive (this has major downsides though) and 3) export large files (e.g. do you have any really big videos?) to an external drive and delete them from the library. Again, do not try to change anything inside the actual`Photos Library.photoslibrary` package.

RazorBackXX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2023
You cannot safely delete *anything* in the Photos library. If you do, you risk corrupting the library. The contents of the Photos library should be managed by Photos. "resources" contains previews and edited versions of your photos & videos. "originals" contains the original copies. If you need to save space you have 3 options: 1) select "Optimize Mac Storage" in `Photos >Settings > iCloud`2) move the Photos library to an external drive (this has major downsides though) and 3) export large files (e.g. do you have any really big videos?) to an external drive and delete them from the library. Again, do not try to change anything inside the actual`Photos Library.photoslibrary` package.
thank you rhet, I just didn't understand why it was double the size on my Mac & in the photo library everything is half the size I didn't know if putting the photos in albums or using keywords were doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.