Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to upgrade to any of the new MacBook Pros

• Yes! Apple is still and will always be my chosen platform and company for personal computing

Votes: 313 20.4%
  • Disgruntled but Yes. My love for Apple is being tested with these prices

Votes: 280 18.3%
  • No! I am done. This isn't the Apple I use to know and love.

Votes: 147 9.6%
  • No, I am still happy with my current gen.

Votes: 141 9.2%
  • Sadly No. I intended too but I have been priced out in this new gen. Will wait for depreciation

Votes: 234 15.3%
  • No. The proposed value is lacking in features or the removal of them.

Votes: 309 20.1%
  • Maybe. I want to read the reviews and/or try it out in store before making my decision.

Votes: 110 7.2%

• Total voters

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I want to wait for the prices to come down. Fortunately, I don't have the money to buy one right now. Hopefully the price will come down by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Or, I hope that Apple updates the iMac by that time, so I can be swayed that way. It's not like my 2013 MBP is slow or anything.

Reactions: HurryKayne

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
WTF is going with Apple?
- Kaby Lake is already in production but they decided to sell an older generation, Skylake.
- No 32GB! Do they think everyone buy a MacBook Pro to read email, listen to music, and navigate on Internet. There are people who use Mac to do computation, edit high resolution images, use virtual machines and docker,... etc these use cases require more than 16GB
- Magic bar! Wow ! Why should I pay a premium price for buying the 15" model?? Couldn't they offer it as an option like the 13" model? This magic nut is useless for me because I will not use it. I use keyboard shortcuts which is much faster and more productive.

What's pissing me off is that many bdsm Apple followers will buy whatever crap Apple releases and at any price. In that why would they bother to lower the price or produce that fit customers' expectations...

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I think the price will come down in Februariy. I hoping for a 20% discount since I do not think it will be selling with no direction connections on the input/output(HEMI,displayport, usb 3.0, SD Card, etc...), old CPU, old RAM and higher price.

I will decide if it is worth it for the $2799 model @ 20% off. Apple usually does not discount but this MacBook is a big dud!
[doublepost=1477778558][/doublepost]
Still in 2 minds

In regards to the 15 inch 2016 mbp need some advice on configuration

Is it better to go for the base 2.6 ghz processor and bump up amd radeon 460 or go for the slightly bumped up 2.7 ghz processor with the amd radeon 455?

Grateful for any advice thanks

Depends if you doing lots of rendering in graphic like photo shop or playing heavy graphic depend games then go with the better graphics card and more RAM. Otherwise, go with the basic $2,399 and swap out the PCIe storage to 512GB or 1TB stick!

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nope, my 2010 MadBook Pro will not be replaced with an overpriced underspecced Apple machine. I'll stick to iOS only from Apple now, at least they have some grunt for the money..

If I get another laptop it would possibly be the new Alienware 15" as it's astounding value for money, an Nvidia 1060 for the price of the baseline 13" MacBook Pro!
But I'm really taken with the new Surface Studio.. can see playing Starcraft 2 on that gorgeous screen now haha.

And why do people expect prices to go down? They still sell the Mac Pro with three year old tech in it for the exact same price as three years ago!

In the U.K. The three year old Mac Pro got a price hike. At least we can say that something changed.....might as well give it a new label, cause apple innovated a £500 increase on the base model.

I voted with my wallet , I returned my iPhone 7 also , I'm not going to reward this greed. I'm happy with my older apple gear, it will get me through another 3-5 years, at that point I hope the products drop the gimmick crap and go back to being value propositions again, once Cook is gone . The current apple exec fat cats are killing innovation for profit, so they greedy buggers can retire on huge sums, the people who take over will correct Tim "ballmers" cooks direction of profit over innovation, or so I'm hoping

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm still using a 2008 MBP. I don't like buying laptops often, so even though I don't need all the horsepower, I just keep them for a long time so it's more worth it. It's not this worth it, unless you "need" it. It's $600 more than I was expecting for the configuration I wanted. Probably will stick with my current laptop a while longer. Considering nothing is wrong with it other than a worthless battery, should let it keep trucking even though it's obviously slow. The SSD I added was crucial though.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
In the U.K. The three year old Mac Pro got a price hike. At least we can say that something changed.....might as well give it a new label, cause apple innovated a £500 increase on the base model.

I voted with my wallet , I returned my iPhone 7 also , I'm not going to reward this greed. I'm happy with my older apple gear, it will get me through another 3-5 years, at that point I hope the products drop the gimmick crap and go back to being value propositions again, once Cook is gone . The current apple exec fat cats are killing innovation for profit, so they greedy buggers can retire on huge sums, the people who take over will correct Tim "ballmers" cooks direction of profit over innovation, or so I'm hoping

Yeah I saw the price increase earlier today, it's disgusting! It's a SIXTH of the cost of the base machine! It does NOT cost a sixth more to import into the UK but Apple are very very quick to blame Brexit on price gouging the customer...
I'll keep my iPhone as its the only phone size I seem to like, and I like 3D Touch, I'll keep my iPad Pro too as I use it a lot. But I won't be buying another Mac, I really am interested in the new Surface Studio, I don't need it but it's really innovative and clever and Starcraft two would look amazing on it! Plus I wouldn't need to use two different OS's then either..

I agree, the current exec team have no direction apart from lining their pockets.. they should ditch Cook and Ive as a start! I never thought I would say Ive should go, but his obsessiveness with thinness is flipping ridiculous!

The config of new MacBook Pro in the UK I would want is 40 quid short of THREE GRAND!! For an underpowered laptop.. no thanks.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
WTF is going with Apple?
- Kaby Lake is already in production but they decided to sell an older generation, Skylake.
- No 32GB! Do they think everyone buy a MacBook Pro to read email, listen to music, and navigate on Internet. There are people who use Mac to do computation, edit high resolution images, use virtual machines and docker,... etc these use cases require more than 16GB
- Magic bar! Wow ! Why should I pay a premium price for buying the 15" model?? Couldn't they offer it as an option like the 13" model? This magic nut is useless for me because I will not use it. I use keyboard shortcuts which is much faster and more productive.

What's pissing me off is that many bdsm Apple followers will buy whatever crap Apple releases and at any price. In that why would they bother to lower the price or produce that fit customers' expectations...

Yep, Kabylake is being used in the new thin touchscreen HP Spectre's at half the cost of the MBP.

And if you need the extension cord (I use it) or any port adapters to plug a USB printer or external monitor in you'll need to shell out more $¢£ for those adapters.

Last edited:

Pentium

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Los Angeles
No, I'm not.
I waited to get new hardware, and the only thing I like about the new Pro is the top processor in the 15 inch model...
Didn't like: No 4K screen, No DDR4 Support, 4300$ plus tax without ports! I need like 200$ more to buy all the adapters I need! even my 7+ can't be connected to the new Mac!

It's a huge mess for me, I think I will wait....

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Yep, Kabylake is being used in the new thin touchscreen HP Spectre's at half the cost of the MBP.

And if you need the extension cord (I use it) or any port adapters to plug a USB printer or external monitor in you'll need to shell out more $¢£ for those adapters.

Only the low power chips are out. The ones that MBPs need are not available yet.

Or not available when Apple was finalizing and testing the design. These things are not done overnight.

Intel-2016-2017-Processor-Roadmap-Kaby-Lake-Coffee-Lake-Cannonlake.jpg

Reactions: wegster

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Only the low power chips are out. The ones that MBPs need are not available yet.

Or not available when Apple was finalizing and testing the design. These things are not done overnight.

They could have put them in the 13" models

Not the 15" yet.

But kaby is a very incremental upgrade over sky lake.

Even if these new MacBooks had kaby lake though, it still wouldn't justify the price hike. As impressive as these computers are, they are overpriced - much more so than the traditional apple tax stereotype.

Not directed towards you or anyone in general but note The retina iMac 5k from last fall was apples first sky lake computer, that winter intel was where intel really started to lag in their release schedule.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

I couldn't say better.I won't buy this greed,i will buy in the refurbished market,i don't know
[doublepost=1477814030][/doublepost]

Seriously we took months and months and months to have just 4 usb-c ( no mag safe and no sd card slot )and i don't think Apple will take any shorter to give us the next ones

Last edited:
Reactions: MH01

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I remember that well. I was nodding in agreement strongly when he said what he said because i felt like "yes. This is a company that stands up for what it believes in! And really...this is just about having good taste"

Now? No. My opinion of apple has done a complete 180 and i see them as something else now. They are switching places with microsoft and showing that they aren't hungry anymore. They are sitting back, completely comfortable and overconfident in their position and think that whatever the hell they're doing is not only good enough, but that they can jack up prices and people will pay it.

Sad part? People probably will. Just like the headphone jack issue with the iphone 7, apple saw more sales than it ever had. People complain and then say they'll "buy it anyway" and prove apple right in their thinking that they can do whatever they want and people will buy it anyway.

I'm voting with my wallet. Thats for god damned sure

Whilst I agree, what do I do then? I want a new laptop.

I blame Microsoft and Google more than Apple, for not competing.

Windows is still not something I want to shift over to and why haven't Google brought out a competing desktop OS like they have done with Android?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Whilst I agree, what do I do then? I want a new laptop.

I blame Microsoft and Google more than Apple, for not competing.

Windows is still not something I want to shift over to and why haven't Google brought out a competing desktop OS like they have done with Android?
How do you feel windows isn't competing?

Damodici

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
I think for me it's more of a disappointment feeling, Not only against the macbook pro itself but also towards Apple.

Yes the price increases are ridiculous, especially when you consider Apple have been rather arrogantly wringing every last miniscule drop of revenue from the old design due to loyal customers.

But it's more disappointing in the regard that Apple are actually trying to say that a thin pencil like strip of touch screen technology is innovative, as is removing ports widely used in everyday life.

It would seem some people are actually blinkered enough to buy the sales pitch, but I just can't see how we're expected to.

Let's talk 'touch bar' for a moment.

Why is it innovative? I'll tell you why, because it's arrogantly less than what anybody else could offer you (if that classes as innovation)

Nearly every other laptop manufacturer offers a full touch screen range of laptops with retina matching (or beating) clarity, all be it on the windows 10 platform.

It will take a Microsoft software developer 5 minutes to produce a widget type bar that also interacts with the active software package being used, that widget could easily be placed anywhere on the touch screen. Therefore place it right at the bottom of the screen and you're about an inch away from where the new Mbp touch bar is.

So the Oooooo's and Arrrrrr's from the keynote are basically applauding Apple for offering little more than a widget that interacts with the current active piece of software being used.

It's just that Apple haven't placed it on the touch screen...,because they don't have one.

Instead they've embedded the widget style bar in the keyboard and have excessively charged it's customer base for the 'Less is more' privilege.

Then there's the ports :

Now I'm all up for USB-c becoming the connection of choice across all technology. When (if) we finally get there it'll make everybody's life easier.

The problem I have is that we're not there, or even close.

Offer perhaps 2 or 3 USB C connections, but also keep the widely used ones people actually want such as Sd card and normal usb.

The fact they've simply removed everything isn't innovative, it's form over function and hinders the user experience as opposed to enhancing it.

USB C will have its day, but forcing it down people's throats by way of a Dongle onslaught isn't the way forward imo.

Some people are going to buy these new macbook pros and really enjoy them, but innovative they're not.

It's just a long overdue redesign that could have been so much more offered for so much less

R.P.G

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Somewhere
I want to wait for the prices to come down. Fortunately, I don't have the money to buy one right now. Hopefully the price will come down by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Or, I hope that Apple updates the iMac by that time, so I can be swayed that way. It's not like my 2013 MBP is slow or anything.
Do they generally reduce prices?. I don't think so.

vlug

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2009
The NO's have clearly outweighed the Yes's even with the Maybe's totalled up in their tally.

Honestly I believe Apple don't give a **** and ultimately they'll be happy to lose us so they can concentrate on their precious iPhone, watch straps and iPad Pro. Yeah! the iPad that doesn't let you have multiple users or a guest account and it isn't anywhere near as productive or can achieve the things we need to do on a Laptop.

People waiting/hoping for a price drop HAHA good luck with that, Apple still sell outdated models now for near on their old debut prices.

Its pure greed and Apple tax but where as before the premium price could be swallowed, due to build quality and cool innovations like retina screens, the Magic toolbar isn't so magic and the specs are just terrible for the price.

I'm gutted and not surprised at the same time, I knew this new MBP was going to disappoint, but still waited over a year to upgrade to watch that keynote, debit card in hand to purchase if they surprised us, which well they did surprise us, with an over priced gimmicky poor performance MBP sold as a PRO. Get real Apple!

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
I live in northern europe, and the top model (15", 2.9GHz, 2 TB, 460 GPU) here is, after currency conversion to todays dollar price, $5300 US. This is without any adapters, cables and such you would need. Insanely expensive. Sure I can cut $1000 by only getting 1 TB, but still about $4300.

I need a new laptop, my current setup is a 2012 Air and 2012 iMac. Both work great, to be fair, but I would rather have a single unit that works great for both work and travel. An office docking station with mouse, keyboard, screen, NAS and such would make the MBP easily replace the iMac, and I can bring the computer with me for travel / meetings and such. But even if I would sell my current ones, it will cost an arm and a leg :(.

I'll just hold off. I don't mind the usual apple tax, but this is ridiculous. Hope for a Kaby Lake upgrade with some price cuts soon.

StrawberryX

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Antwerp
I see no point in buying it now, for me it should be abble to replace a 5 to 7 year old Mac Pro.
So it needs to mature, 32 gig ram, at a price that doesn't make me follow these logic
for that price I better buy a nMP, but for that price I better go windows ...
Mac Pro's weren't that expensive from 1,1 - 5,1 , they were, but not much, dual xeon PC's aren't cheap eather ...
Just happens now workstation PC's are much cheaper or much faster.
I also want to see what happens the next months, even maybe year.
The first Mac Pro came some time after the first intel macbook pro.
I do think I would switch to windows if it would just be Imac and these touch bar Macbook pro's.
And the last surface really got my attention, Microsoft seems to have a much better vision of where they want to go with that. Surface pro - surface book - now surface studio.
I like they put the ipad pro and macbook pro in one machine, much more interesting than a touchbar.
Apple feels more like it just want to build a prison around you for a vision, and making prison life harder.

I also don't like the fast OS X update's,
just canning old mac's and at the same time not releasing new one's.
It's annoying in a workflow, OS X was about winning time, but I spend a lot more time on information now, update this, update that, will it work, better keep that mac on Mavericks for performance, blablabla ...

Last edited:

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
I've talked to some people and the consensus has been a no or at best when prices come down. I have absolutely zero problem paying for quality (bought a very expensive Philipp Plein Polo because my hopefully soon to be gf loves the brand as do I) but for me it's a matter of value for the price I'm paying and sadly I don't see it here.

It's a real positive that the SSD is removable so that makes buying more storage useless but the RAM being soldered on is a real downer. Sure, people can say "well buy as much as you need" here is the problem with that (I do have the same problem with the Surfacebook and Surface Pro mind you):

I'ts impossible for me to know how much RAM I'm going to need in the future and then what? Buy a 2.000 bucks machine each year just to get more and faster RAM? Hello no to that. A professional machine in my mind should be able to be at least a bit expandable. Same goes for storage it's impossible for me to know how much I will need in the future and I'm planning to keep my next laptop for at least 4 years (I know people say that's too long but guess what? I don't need cutting edge each year).

Then the ports, yes, USB - C is the future but here is the problem we are living in the present and the future is not now Apple, it's not now I would dongles for:

- my printer (USB Type B)
- Thunderbolt to HDMI so I can connect to my monitor
- one for my Logitech unfying adapter (should be USB Type B not sure)
- one for my USB external HDD
- one for my SD card reader

That's 5 ! dongles in order to do the stuff I'm used too without carrying extra stuff, sorry but that's absolute BS for a machine that has the name "Pro" in it and costs a lot of money, especially for a non 4k dual core version.

After all the problem Microsoft had with their impressive but software issues ladden Surface Pro/Book lineups and all the other Windows laptops only offering high resolution if you also buy the touchscreen I was really ready and looked forward to jump to a MBP (with Win7 bootcamp of course), but when the top model of the competition offers a kaby lake quad core i7, QHD+ resolution, touch screen (don't want need it so not for me), up to 32 GB Ram and a similar great (not as good looking and premium) design it's hard for me as a student to ask my parents for the extra money. I'm sure they would pay it but I don't want that because I just don't see the value which is sad. I know a lot of people will say I'm just a "hater" because I've joined a few months ago but if they would dare reading some of my posts before the announcement I was really looking forward and prepared to maybe even learn the complex MacOS just to NOT have to deal with Win 10.

phloo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
@frankgrimes
There are docks and hubs out there with enough usb-a, sd-card and hdmi ports. plus, usb-c is future proof and we are just in the time of change.
It may be bitter now but we wont care in 0,5-1 year period.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I have a 2015 15" with AppleCare, priced at $1800. Had it on Craigslist for a couple weeks, no bites.... Since the keynote, I've gotten 4 or 5 emails. Not that that's an indication of distaste for the new one, just thought it was funny. Me? I think I'm going to keep it! I wanted to move to the new models for the form factor (15" didn't fit in my bag well, thus I never take it anywhere) but I ended up getting a new bag instead!

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Apple needs from the next iphone to put in the box lighting to usb-c with a new 12W power adapter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
- my printer (USB Type B)
- Thunderbolt to HDMI so I can connect to my monitor
- one for my Logitech unfying adapter (should be USB Type B not sure)
- one for my USB external HDD
- one for my SD card reader

That's 5 ! dongles in order to do the stuff I'm used too without carrying extra stuff, sorry but that's absolute BS for a machine that has the name "Pro" in it and costs a lot of money, especially for a non 4k dual core version.
if that's your situation, i'd suggest you to use an universal usb-c adapter. there are several on the market, just choose the one with all the ports you need.

Reactions: fokmik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.