Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
As an iPhone SE 1st gen user: good thing I never experienced 3D touch or haptic touch so I won't miss it.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Was the old Apple bug-free? Is any other company bug-free?

no, it was a quality control company. Now they allow to release an Os that can get the password protection bypassed just by leaving the field empty and pressing enter. (It happened with Sierra or High Sierra years ago). And this is the tip of the iceberg.
iPhone and Mac used to sync, not they don’t anymore.. and this is another example.. do I need to keep going or will you stop being smart?

gmarm

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin
I really hope this is a bug and not a way of Apple to push users to the buy the 11 / 11 Pro. That would be a really low blow.

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
I really hope this is a bug and not a way of Apple to push users to the buy the 11 / 11 Pro. That would be a really low blow.
If they did, they would just not release the SE at all and keep the iPhone 8 in the lineup. That would be a more enticing reason to get the 11 instead.

Reactions: gmarm

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
This better be a bug, as a dev having to “inform” users of the various interactions (3D touch, Haptic Touch, drag down) on notifications sucks...and then having a random brand new device not support it at all makes it even worse.

My guess is the SE has a modified iPhone 8 version of iOS, which is expecting 3D touch to access these things.

Not likely as the iPhone 8 Plus cannot do any of the Portrait effects that the SE can do even though it is has virtually the same camera and similar hardware.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
no, it was a quality control company. Now they allow to release an Os that can get the password protection bypassed just by leaving the field empty and pressing enter. (It happened with Sierra or High Sierra years ago). And this is the tip of the iceberg.
iPhone and Mac used to sync, not they don’t anymore.. and this is another example.. do I need to keep going or will you stop being smart?

There was bugs always, read OS X reviews on ARS. iPhone and Mac still can sync https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210611

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Certainly. I buy the Pro Max purely for the OLED display. If a $400 phone had that display, I would get that in a heart beat.
According to your logic any phone with an OLED phone will do even an android. If your rational was staying Apple you could get a used X. But you choose the pro max...and that means that you had other criteria other than an oled display, which was my original point that the claim of buying a phone 3 times as expensive for one feature is dubious at best, and something very few would/could actually do. But I dislike delving in the mindset of the people because it's a can of worms.

Last edited:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Seems weird to not include the feature, seems like it's more work to remove it from iOS than to include it.

Is this punishment for purchasing a 'cheap' iPhone?

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
then why does my iPad Air 2 support haptic touch on notifications?

THIS. I have a new iPad Air 2019 model. I just opened it up and long-pressed on a message and replied. This functionality doesn't exist on my iPhone SE.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
Honestly, I like Haptic Touch and I don’t even understand the difference between the two. They bring up the same UI menus.

Some people will moan about literally anything. Don’t like? Buy an iPhone 11.

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Honestly, I like Haptic Touch and I don’t even understand the difference between the two. They bring up the same UI menus.

Then you may not understand the issue. I couldn't care less if it is "long press" or "haptic touch". Neither is allowing rich notification interaction on the lock screen on the SE, but there is some iteration of it on all other devices, including the low end iPad. It's fair to chalk this up to a bug in my opinion, though no clue if Apple will "fix" it or not. Reminds me of the old 90's tech mantra "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I've never used this and never realized it was a thing until this article. Sucks for those that have used it, though.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

But the issue isn't 3D touch vs Haptic touch, this is a Haptic and 3D touch feature that is not working on the new SE...it works on every other device running iOS 13

I still think this is either a bug or unintentional oversight, that will be implemented. No reason the software can't support it as even iPads can do this and they don't even have haptics to begin with

Reactions: mtrm and bheathain

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
With haptic touch (long press the notifications), I can preview the images associated with notifications. Like Uber Eat, Instacart, Amazon deliveries that took the pictures of where they left the items outside. Removing haptic touch for notification is a step backward for usability.

Reactions: bheathain

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
This is likely a software oversight because let’s be honest the percentage of actual real-life iPhone users that care about this is tiny. If they wanted to “punish” you for buying a cheap phone there are many more things they could’ve done that would actually be a disincentive.

Reactions: mtrm and Lucas284

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
They've certainly done it with older devices, even when the spec-based explanation seemed dubious. But never new ones.

Honestly, I don't think they've claimed it's a spec-based exclusion with old devices. It's more than devices get hardware-like features based on when they're released. If they're planning a hardware-like feature that they're not delivering on release, it's at least announced before release.

I always assumed this had to do with accounting, and it was somewhat dubious to seem to finish a product once it's in the hands of customers.

Heh! Some people have difficulty playing stupid. :)

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
According to your logic any phone with an OLED phone will do even an android. If your rational was staying Apple you could get a used X. But you choose the pro max...and that means that you had other criteria other than an oled display, which was my original point that the claim of buying a phone 3 times as expensive for one feature is dubious at best, and something very few would/could actually do. But I dislike delving in the mindset of the people because it's a can of worms.
It needs to be one of the best OLED displays. Not a run-of-the-mill OLED. The iPhone X and XS Max OLED is inferior to the 11 Pro Max OLED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.