Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Perhaps, if you had carried the gold watch and the silver Macbook it would have been the other way around? :D

Maybe. However, the Apple Watch is just an aluminum, SS or gold square slab, most people wouldn't like twice at it. Its nothing eye-catching like a Rolex, Cartier, Montblanc, Jaeger etc...

Meowmeow123

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
One of the employees at the Apple Store said he had only seen a few non-employees with them.

Cashier at Whole Foods was actually talking about them with the customer in front of me, then started asking about it when I used it to pay.

At Panera the cashier looked extremely confused when I used it to pay.

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Maybe. However, the Apple Watch is just an aluminum, SS or gold square slab, most people wouldn't like twice at it. Its nothing eye-catching like a Rolex, Cartier, Montblanc, Jaeger etc...

I know...I too am taken aback when I see antiquities of the past.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Absolutely. I can say that many agree that Kauai will ruin all of the other islands for you. :cool::D It is against the law to build higher than a coconut palm so NO high rises. We get a lot of the jungle movies filmed here. The last Pirates of the Caribbean was largely here and they should start shooting the next one soon. Kauai is the most lush of the Islands. Most of the first Jurassic park movie was here and a lot of the one coming out soon. Mark Zuckerberg (facebook) spent over $100 million here last year. You never know when you will spot someone famous because they can be largely unbothered by locals. Another huge land owner here is Bette Midler. She is from Oahu and I hear she uses Kauai for her family retreats.

We ARE very country and small town feeling which is why I love it.

I know it's off topic but thanks! I think next time we go we may try Kauai. The older we get the more we are looking for complete relaxation and the experience. I'd hope we're the kind of tourist that don't ruin it for locals.

jafacake310596

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
Belgravia
The waitress I had in Friday's on Friday night must have asked at least five questions on it, she seemed really interested, I told she ought to order herself one

I've also had some comments from people at work, including my boss who said he didn't understand the point of it, to which my response was you wouldn't your phone is made by Sony. I also got asked about it by a friend on Friday night and he literally lost his mind when I used it to change the song in the car

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
You know who the android users are when they see your watch and look at you in scorn and a bit of envy. :p

Personally, I hope no one notices my watch. I don't like the attention. I bought it for my own personal enjoyment. lol

ShortyMcStompy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
I got busted using it to send a crudely drawn cock to a team mate after roller derby training today :) My other team mates had a laugh and called me a geek in a friendly way.

That's it so far :)

Last edited:

TEBnewyork

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
The idea of having to put your watch on charge every day just sucks, I have a Casio GBA 400. That will do me just fine :)

If you take a watch off at night what's the difference between letting it sit on the counter vs attached to a cable.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
No mentions about my Apple Watch when I've been out and about. I'm a bit self conscious at the idea of wearing it to work tomorrow: everyone there knows that I'm an Apple fan, and I'll probably get a lot of eye rolls.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I love my macbook pro, i love my iPhone 6 and i love my iPad. The Apple watch i have zero interest in. So if I ever did see one out in public it wouldn't get much interest from me either.

The idea of having to put your watch on charge every day just sucks, I have a Casio GBA 400. That will do me just fine :)

Actually if you use the Apple watch just as a watch and nothing else you can re-charge it just every 60 days...Not so bad.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Absolutely zero interest. Although as I was sat in Burger King people watching. I thought to myself, how often do you really notice someones watch?

Used it to send a few texts in the pub last night while sat with a friend and nobody batted an eye.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Well me experience has been interesting.

My UPS driver was about 2:30 hours later than his normal delivery time. Apparently someone changed their mind, decided at the last minute to turn from the right lane in front of him and he had to slam I his brakes and got hit. He apologized profusely for being so late.

Then I got stopped at a landscaping shop yesterday by the employees and had to show off my watch to everyone working there, and explain what apps I had been using- all less than 24 hours after receiving the watch. They were shocked I received mine on Friday. "How did you manage that?!" Lol.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Had about 10 people stop me today and they asked what it could do, how much it costs, that sort of thing. I also got asked how early I pre-ordered it to get it on launch day :D

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I know...I too am taken aback when I see antiquities of the past.

Antiques of the past? You should probably look at the list of best selling watches last year and years prior. All of those makers are on that list. I know this is an Apple forum and we love our tech but seriously, an Apple Watch is a toy compared to those brands I mentioned above. The Watch is what it is, a cool new piece of tech for tech lovers and Apple fans but thats about it. Also, your Apple Watch will be a thing of the past in a year when the new one is out , anyone still lust after first gen iPhones, iPods or iPads? Those are only a handful of years old and already irrelevant. A Rolex, Cartier, Jaeger etc...hold their values incredibly well and will still be relevant and lusted after 25 years from now. Its not even a comparison.

Last edited:

vishalc

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Went to party and people saw my Watch and asked "Is that an Apple Watch" and I said yeah and showed them a few features. And then asked what my favorite thing is about it and lastly they asked "how much is that one"

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Antiques of the past? You should probably look at the list of best selling watches last year and years prior. All of those makers are on that list. I know this is an Apple forum and we love our tech but seriously, an Apple Watch is a toy compared to those brands I mentioned above. The Watch is what it is, a cool new piece of tech for tech lovers and Apple fans but thats about it. Also, your Apple Watch will be a thing of the past in a year when the new one is out , anyone still lust after first gen iPhones, iPods or iPads? Those are only a handful of years old and already irrelevant. A Rolex, Cartier, Jaeger etc...hold their values incredibly well and will still be relevant and lusted after 25 years from now. Its not even a comparison.

It was an ill advised response by someone who obviously knows nothing about classic watches. Great post, but I wouldn't have wasted a minute responding to that :)

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Good point... I too would definitely try and get someone fired for being envious of my watch. :rolleyes:

It's not just about the watch. It's about the attitude and creepiness of it making a customer feel uncomfortable. Maybe you need to put it into another context and not just the watch. Replace watch with your significant other or something/someone important to you and see how you would react. No one in CS or public roles should be acting in that manner.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Since I haven't got the Apple Watch yet, I can't speak of real-life situations. However, I would definitely like the attention once I have one. Not for every day, but the first few days. When I had the iPhone 6 back in September and used it at school, everyone was saying things such as "Hey, you've got the iPhone 6!" or asked me if they could try it out a bit.

Anyway, if anyone is going to ask if they can try out my Apple Watch once I have it, I will refuse. But I wouldn't mind at all if people are asking things about it. After all, I am kind of 'the iPhone guy' at school. And once I have that beautiful watch from Apple, I will become 'the Apple Watch guy'. xD

By the way, I'm not the only one who has an Apple device in class. But since I'm in training to become System Administrator, about 75% of my class owns an Android device. Last week someone told me how crappy the Apple Watch must be. Well, you're right. I'd rather have an Android Wear watch. *not*

To come back at the story, I will love the 'public attention', as long as it's not going to be something that occurs every day. :)

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I love my macbook pro, i love my iPhone 6 and i love my iPad. The Apple watch i have zero interest in. So if I ever did see one out in public it wouldn't get much interest from me either.

Cool story.

kevkmartin

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
I actually do think it will be hard for thieves to steal an Apple Watch from your wrist. It's quite heavy (at least, as of what I've read in a lot reviews), so you would feel when it's not there. Also, when walking your arms constantly move around. So you get to see the Watch the whole time. And last but not least, the Apple Watch is strapped on your wrist with a band. Especially the Sport band, the Modern Buckle e.g. won't be easy to take off. Milanese Loop is another story. :p

I don't think thieves will even try to steal an Apple Watch. Could be wrong of course. :p

Actually, I think the Milanese loop will be one of the harder ones to steal. It's continuous, and a snug fit over your hand (mine at least) to get it off. It does NOT just fall off when the magnet clasp is released.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
A Rolex, Cartier, Jaeger etc...hold their values incredibly well and will still be relevant and lusted after 25 years from now. Its not even a comparison.

By a very small portion of the population. I know people think their small circles are larger than they are, but they really aren't.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I have a green one, and people have noticed, but no one has been brave enough to say anything. Probably because I look intimidating... or they just don't care enough to ask :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.