Release date of Smart Case for 10.5 iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by KensaiMage, Jun 26, 2017.

1. KensaiMage macrumors regular

KensaiMage

any news? It sucks to have back without cover while ipad's camera is so fragile.

2. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

3. NewYorkRanger, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Apple isn't stupid. The know peak sales would be at launch.

It's never coming out, they want you to buy the Smart Cover and/or the new leather sleeve after the last set of Pro cases flopped when they split the cases into two pieces, they produced a bunch but the cover outsold the back two to one, no one wants to pay $120+ for a complete case, it was a total gouge that blew up in their faces.

They are pushing the sleeve hard, the margin on it is ridiculous.

4. upandown macrumors 6502

Hey guys. These showed up today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07215MYS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8DYuzbRA7ZZ51

There's different colors, you just have to search separately. Looks like the rear case Apple should have made. I ordered it but I'll have to wait and see how the quality is. Probably not Apple quality but it's the best out there right now (for a minimal rear case) and it looks pretty decent to me. This coming from someone who always just buys Apple cases lol

5. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

Afaik some people stated that apple store workers told them the apple smart case for 10.5 IS COMING. The question is when...

6. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Because Apple Store employees know what Apple is making lol

7. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

Why shouldn't they? They're supposed to know more.

8. jcborden macrumors regular

Third partly smart cases are already available (and a fraction of the Apple price, although not quite the same quality). Mine turned up today from eBay. Pretty good, especially for £10.

9. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

I prefer premium quality cases. That's why I always go with apple cases or miniot.com

10. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I don't believe they won't know until shipments come, I will say I'm wrong if they show up in the next month. Apple should have shipped them from day 1

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Fragile? It's not an egg.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2017 ---
    Would be good for some of these people to spend some money on a case and report back to the community, instead of just sitting back and letting others do all the work for them :)

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I suggest you buy a third party back cover. I did as I do not want to worry where I lie it down.

I am doubting Apple is making a leather back cover for the 10.5
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2017 ---
    I have asked several time both the Geeks and even the store manager and they have said there is no news about a back cover or even case on the way from Apple. I know the manager pretty well and he says he, too, was disspointed as he wants one. He said that people above him said there were no plans for adding a back cover to the 10.5.

Guess time will tell, but I am not depending on it

13. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

lol. Apple Store employees are bottom of the barrel, they know piss all. Link to one story, EVER, where the source of a new product is an Apple Store employee.

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The only thing for certain about Apple is that nothing is certain.

Wait, I thought Apple wasn't stupid?

Mr. Cook, please reveal your source for this bit of data.

I for one am holding off on the 10.5 entirely until it's fairly obvious there will be no back case. History shows a couple of weeks after launch is too soon to say.

15. ZipZap macrumors 603

So the old set up was a complete gouge and the new sleeve is not?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---
    Most of the time, better than you do.

16. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

When has Apple ever released a case after the product release? Sure, sometimes they sell out immediately and are back ordered but AFAIR the accessories are always announced/known at the same time as a new product.

17. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

iPod cases and all additional color cases aside...

1. Apple Pencil case
    2. iPhone extended battery case

and wait for it...

3. The original iPad Smart case back, released June, 2012. There were no new iPads announced at that keynote, just the case.

Class dismissed.

18. jschu22 macrumors regular

You’re right but all of those occurred at a launch, not weeks/months later. If we see this case, it will not be until another Apple event, if ever.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2017 ---
    Wow that’s a considerable amount of [made up] data. I say that because no sources were included, because of course #internetsgonnainternet.

Oh and pushing the sleeve so hard they forgot to make a more than a few of them for launch.

19. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

This is definitely the case these days. I'm absolutely mind blown at how bad they've gotten at the Apple Store.

20. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Apple watch bands(but I get it if you dont count this)
    I think the ipad mini back case was done after the release.
    Ipad pro fast charger was done after release.
    Iphone 6/6s battery case

21. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

They hire thousands of employees for these roles. They do not know anything until Apple publicly announces it. To tell them anything would be a PR nightmare since they are (effectively) unbound by NDAs and any privileged information *will* be leaked within minutes.

It isn't even that common for the employees involved in developing the products to know what they're working on. Infamously, the engineers developing the first multi-touch display for the original iPhone had no idea it was going to be put in anything but an iPod until its announcement. This is Apple we're dealing with.

22. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

I bough the same case for you 10.5. It’s great. The sleeve sucks imo vs old silicone back cover and Smart Cover on 9.7IPP
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    The back case isn’t coming back. Apple wants the iPad to be used professionally, I.e with the pen or keyboard, and the silicone back doesn’t support that goal. Mid level iPads without keyboard and pen support don’t support that goal either.

The khomo case on amazon is the closest case right now to what Apple made. If Apple comes out with it, I’ll eat my words and buy one. Till then, I’m rocking the khomo.

23. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

In my experience they usually know less. You know more reading MacRumors.

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

You can tell by the way the new Smart Covers/Smart Keyboard Covers fit. They are not designed to go over and meet the lip of a Silicon Case like they were last gen. The back covers probably aren't happening.

And don't bother asking an Apple Store employee. They have no idea. They're retail people. The Geniuses don't know either. I asked one of the floor people last time I was in there if there was a back cover coming out for the 10.5--he goes, "Yeah, it will probably just take a few weeks. The iPad we released in March didn't have back covers until not long ago." I took his word for it, and then realized later that the 2017 standard iPad still does not have back covers. The guy had no idea what he was talking about.