Replacement of graphic card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MatteoT, Jul 24, 2017.

1. MatteoT macrumors newbie

Hi,

first of all, sorry if I use the wrong terminology, but I am not technical at all.

I have a MBP 15" (late 2011) that stopped working a few days ago. Suddenly, the screen became crazy and the computer turned off. Since then, I cannot restart it. It get blocked on the screen with the loading bar after the login.

I went to the Genius Bar and they told me that the graphic card is broken. Given that my computer is considered as "vintage", Apple will not replace it for me. I have tried to request a few quotes to unauthorised shops but without any reply.

My question is... Is there anything else I can try to fix it? Is the replacement of the graphic card expensive? Considering the age of my computer it may be economically wise to buy a new computer instead of "wasting" money on spare parts.

What do you think? Thank you.

Regards,
    Matteo

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

There's also a thread here that describes how to disable the discrete graphics on the 2011 model, so that it will run ONLY with the CPU's built-in graphics. Slower, but at least it still works.

Other than that, time to start shopping for a replacement, because it's too late for any other "fixes".
    That's about the reality of it.