Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Hey guys, how "oleophobic" is the screen protector? I installed this about a week ago, and it was great then because I wouldn't see any oil at all on my screen like I did with the Ultra Crystal series, but now it's starting to look just like that. I gotta wipe the phone now to take the oils off. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the "Oleophobic" Screen Protectors?

Hmm....I thought it was just me. Yeah I think the oleophobic coating wears off quick. It still feels similar to the glass but I see more and more smudges the longer I use the protector.

After 3 weeks or so of use I'm also finding it difficult (almost impossible) to completely wipe of any finger prints/oil. It just smudges/streaks even when using a microfiber cloth. But I figure that's probably going to happen with any kind of protector other than a matte or anti-fingerprint. Plus I'd rather have the Oleophobic to protect from scratches than go with the bare glass

An oleophobic substance is one that repels oil. Water, for example, is oleophobic. It won't mix with oil.

Having an oleophobic screen protector doesn't mean it doesn't show fingerprints. It just makes the fingerprints easier to clean off.

I have found that certain microfiber cloths will clean (read: absorb the oils off of) the oleophobic screen protector while others just push the oils around.

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I guess that's ok I might as well order the skin Guard Leather White Set along with the Oleo and plus the bumper is arriving this Monday. It'll gona be a nice combo oh and thanks for the reply!

Kayzle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
SGP's Oleophobic picks up fingerprints pretty frequently but they wipe off very easily

I'd say that's the true benefit of this screen protector, it doesn't prevent finger print like the iPhone screen does but it makes them way easier to wipe off. If I have some on mine and I put it in my pocket they'll all be gone the next time I pull it out

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
i just got ole, and i have to say..its pretty nice...went on pretty easy...did get like 1 hair and 1 small bubble....nothing noticeable....

its true when they say that its hardly even noticeable. No bubbles or weirdness around the home button and the ear speaker.

This DID have the cut out of the speaker...just elongated hole for the ear speaker.

Vincentmoy

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Just got mine today. I was using the ifrogz anti glare and did I messed the screen up. There's bubble and dusts and the right upper corner was not sticking.

Got the ole this morning and applied it in a rather steamy bathroom with wet install. Got a couple dust pieces under. But after I press it harder, the bubbles are ALL gone and now the screen looks REAL good! I don't find the fingerprints to be an issue yet. But I guess to each his own.

So far I'm really happy with this product!

maniacphoner

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I guess that's ok I might as well order the skin Guard Leather White Set along with the Oleo and plus the bumper is arriving this Monday. It'll gona be a nice combo oh and thanks for the reply!

Where did you purchase yours from? I also bought the black leather skin guard with the oleophobic film.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Why don't you just use a damp towel to wipe the screen then? Won't that clean it completely? Or you're saying that it won't as well?

I don't know what the dust complainer guy you responded to is talking about. It's not anything to do with the skin. I have been using a naked phone for a short while, while waiting for a replacement skin, and the naked phone screen attracts dust when extracted from a pocket.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
just ordered one on eBay and the guy said he'd ship it tomorrow so I can get it by Sat. wow. MGS sold out of PS Anti-Glare, got an email. So I went back to my original choice despite my friend telling me it scratches easy.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
i just got ole, and i have to say..its pretty nice...went on pretty easy...did get like 1 hair and 1 small bubble....nothing noticeable....

its true when they say that its hardly even noticeable. No bubbles or weirdness around the home button and the ear speaker.

This DID have the cut out of the speaker...just elongated hole for the ear speaker.

well, happy to report that even with the tiny spec of something, the shield has actually settled on top and the air bubble is almost gone fully.

Awesome awesome product....i owned the PS Anti glare for my 3G and i really wish i would of given this a try before hand.

The Punisher

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
thinking of getting the oleo for my phone, but also wanted some film for the back of the phone.

Can anyone recommend a decent one for the back?

faster to order via SGP or ebay?

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
thinking of getting the oleo for my phone, but also wanted some film for the back of the phone.

i am also wondering this.

The SGP protectors dont seem to want to fully stick to the phone, im getting a few gaps around the edges.

would like some recommendations for a back protector, however must be good quality!

lookatthemonkey

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
I got the oleophobic film for my iPhone 4. I botched the first install. On the second install I used the spray that came with the Zagg products and it worked PERFECT! Give you a few seconds to move around the film before you get it just right.

Anyways, I really liked the film for the short time it was on my iPhone 4. The screen did leave oil streaks all over and you had to wipe it down with a cloth a few times a day. I had the film on for about 2 weeks when I put the phone in my wife's bag. I dont know what did it, but when I took it out, the film had a bunch of deep gashes in the center of the screen :confused:

Know I dont know what I want to try now...it seems like it scratched pretty easily, so I dont know if I will try them again...

Silenthillnight

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009

I use a Power Support back on mine but there's a part that just won't stop bubbling. I'm tempted to try the SGP crystal back once it comes. I wish they made an Oleo back as well.

I ordered my SGP from amazon. It's quick for me since the seller is based in San Francisco and I live in the bay area and they also offer free shipping :)

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
can anyone tell me which of these front screen protectors does NOT have the cut out for the front facing camera?

thanks

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
can anyone tell me which of these front screen protectors does NOT have the cut out for the front facing camera?

thanks

Currently they all have a cutout for the front camera. The older revisions did not. SGP may offer protectors with and without the cutout in the future ("soon" says the CS).

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Currently they all have a cutout for the front camera. The older revisions did not. SGP may offer protectors with and without the cutout in the future ("soon" says the CS).

well soon cant come enough! thanks for this.

does anyone know what companies offer protectors without the front facing camera cut out?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Anyone using with bumper case? Will the screen protector lift with bumper or similar case that covers that edge of iPhone screen?

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
just want to update you all...

have had my OLE on for about 3 weeks or so and the thing has not one scuff/scratch on it.

I will say if you get any type of oil/grease (like from food) it is a pain and you will need to use some solution and a fiber cloth to make it all nice and clear/smooth again.

Not keen on using wax... but so far impressed. Since I have 2 more OLE's I'm gonna take this one off next week and try a PS Crystal I got and see how that holds up.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
this thing seems to attrack oil more then anyother screen protector i ever had

you can even see the oil when the screen is on

you cant just wipe it out with your shirt, u need to use a spray to really clean it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.