Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I am a network technician but we do mainly work with Macs now. That being said, I do have some experience with 8.1 and if I recall correctly (I still use Windows 7 as a daily driver on PCs) you can click and drag the lock screen with the mouse. On that screen I thought there was a switch user button after you slide the screen up.

We squashed most issues so at least I have been of some help. It is just perplexing on what this issue could possibly be as it is not a widespread issue with Windows 10 or Boot Camp. Furthermore, I know a few people running Windows 10 on their 09 and 10 MacBook Pros without issue and I am getting some of my information from their experience.

With Windows 10, the lock screen slides up and in the left-hand corner there is a list of all the registered users on the computer. The issue here all along has been that I can't slide the lock screen up with my trackpad, because it can't detect physical clicks.

It is a perplexing problem as I have not been able to reproduce it or anything similar on any PC/Mac other than my own. Thanks for sticking with me and helping through all this.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
With Windows 10, the lock screen slides up and in the left-hand corner there is a list of all the registered users on the computer. The issue here all along has been that I can't slide the lock screen up with my trackpad, because it can't detect physical clicks.

I do not believe this is Boot Camp drivers but rather a Windows issue actually.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I do not believe this is Boot Camp drivers but rather a Windows issue actually.

The issue with the trackpad itself has been present for quite some time. The only way to fix that is to pay Apple $99 to replace the trackpad.

This does seem like a Windows issue, but it appears that I'm the only one facing it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The issue with the trackpad itself has been present for quite some time. The only way to fix that is to pay Apple $99 to replace the trackpad.

This does seem like a Windows issue, but it appears that I'm the only one facing it.

You can purchase the trackpad assembly off of eBay or any Mac parts vendor for around $35 and replace it yourself easily if you are comfortable doing repairs. Since this does appear to be a freak issue, you could try to reinstall (again).

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
You can purchase the trackpad assembly off of eBay or any Mac parts vendor for around $35 and replace it yourself easily if you are comfortable doing repairs. Since this does appear to be a freak issue, you could try to reinstall (again).
i don't feel comfortable doing the repair myself. Are you suggesting I reinstall from external USB media, or the built in reset option? Reinstall Windows 7 and re-upgrade to Windows 10? There's so many options that very confused as to what do again. Please and thank you.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Are you suggesting I reinstall from external USB media, or the built in reset option? Reinstall Windows 7 and re-upgrade to Windows 10? There's so many options that very confused as to what do again. Please and thank you.

Well, Windows 8.1 and 10 need to be installed using BIOS (legacy) mode in order for sound to work. While people have reported getting it installed before by doing a clean install, I personally have never gotten it to work without starting with Windows 7 and upgrading from there. Wipe the drive, load Windows 7, install Boot Camp 4.0.4033 on Windows 7, update Windows using Windows Update, and then upgrade to Windows 10. At that point you can refer back to the steps in this thread to getting Windows 10 working.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Well, Windows 8.1 and 10 need to be installed using BIOS (legacy) mode in order for sound to work. While people have reported getting it installed before by doing a clean install, I personally have never gotten it to work without starting with Windows 7 and upgrading from there. Wipe the drive, load Windows 7, install Boot Camp 4.0.4033 on Windows 7, update Windows using Windows Update, and then upgrade to Windows 10. At that point you can refer back to the steps in this thread to getting Windows 10 working.

Thanks. This'll be my weekend project, as I'm really busy with school right now. I'll update you as soon as anything happens.

Reactions: Altemose

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Sounds good! I look forwards to hearing on how it goes.

It didn't go anywhere :(

I installed Windows 10 and the drivers as you suggested, and everything was working fine, except for the fact that this issue popped up immediately.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Alternatively, if you never use OS X you can even go strictly Windows!

I heard that was a bad idea, because of firmware updates or something. And wouldn't that leave you without the ability to receive support from Apple, since you aren't running any version of Mac OS X?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I heard that was a bad idea, because of firmware updates or something. And wouldn't that leave you without the ability to receive support from Apple, since you aren't running any version of Mac OS X?

I personally doubt there will ever be a new firmware update for 2009 MacBook Pros and furthermore that you would even be able to install it through Software Update on Snow Leopard.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I personally doubt there will ever be a new firmware update for 2009 MacBook Pros and furthermore that you would even be able to install it through Software Update on Snow Leopard.

There was the App Store update for Snow Leopard a few weeks ago.

Daniel H

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
Hey everyone!

So, I know that my particular Mac only technically supports up to Windows 7, but I was curious if it is possible to run Windows 10 on it?

Or rather, it's possible, but what kind of experience does it bring? Do the drivers work? Does it behave like it is supposed to?

Actually yes it is possible even without bootcamp! I installed windows 10 1607 to my Macbook Pro Mid 2009 and it works fine. The only problem is the lack of drivers for certain things. Currently I'm trying to hunt down proper keyboard and toutchpad drivers. I can't right click or use any of the function keys, and the sound doesnt work. other than that, it works fine! The trouble is only the drivers honestly.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have Windows 10 running on a 2009 Macbook (not a pro) in bootcamp. I just updated Windows tonight and it is running version 1803. The version of OS X is High Sierra.

It has sound and the only feature I don't have on the touchpad is tap. I started by installing Windows 7 and when the free update for Windows 10 came out I let it install. I was surprised it has worked so well. I use it to run a lighting program stage lights.

Lisa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.