Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
I've noticed since the Safari update that colours in images go a bit weird, like their contrast and saturation are getting turned right up.
Has anyone else noticed this?

i think it might just be the settings on your monitor? that same image looks fine for me in Safari4:

rich2k4

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
does the final version still save your page photo's resulting in safari eating up a bunch of hardrive space?

i forgot what it's called.

schaaf

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2005
I have a 24" iMac. In safari 3 I had screen rippling when scrolling. Not sure if anyone else here has that, but when I switched to safari 4 Beta, it was gone. Cured. Fixed.
I was ecstatic. Thrilled, elated, joyous!

Safari was the only program I had the rippling issue in.

Its back now. Im not sure why in the beta it would have disappeared, but in the release version, its back. and it seems worse. (probably because It was gone for the last couple of months, and suddenly is back.)

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
Anyone knows how to get the progress bar in the final version again? IT worked fine in the beta but now it doesn't :(

I want the progress bar back, too. I loved that I could change it back in the Beta.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I just noticed that when you navigate to a PDF in Safari 4, it shows a loading bar like this:

safari4pdf.png

I don't remember this being in Safari 3, though I could be wrong.

andrew69camaro

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
Texas
how do i get a 'page refresh' icon into the toolbar - its not an option in the standard 'customise toolbar menu'. i need it to update sport live text pages that don't autorefresh (hello BBC.........).

Just hit COMMAND-R to refresh. I find it a lot easier than clicking the refresh button

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
i think it might just be the settings on your monitor? that same image looks fine for me in Safari4:

Everything looks fine when the page first loads, but when I scroll things go weird. When a 'weird' bit of the page scrolls out of view, sometimes it comes back looking normal, sometimes it comes back worse! :confused:
I'd think it could be my graphics card (GeForce 8800 GT) but this only happens in Safari and only since I updated, pretty big coincidence if it isn't the new Safari?

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
The following link has a few terminal commands that will allow you to change some of the new features of Safari 4.

Just cut and paste the command of the feature you what to change in a terminal window and hit enter. For most of these, you can undo them by simply changing the bool at the end of the command from false to true or vice-versa.

I haven't checked for them, but a few of these options might be available under preferences in the final Safari 4.

http://willfrancis.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/how-to-remove-unwanted-features-in-safari-4/

I used several these during the Safari 4 beta to get it working just as I like it. :D

aren't these the ones we've all used for the beta that now we can't use on this final version - hence the problem?

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
The lack of a true progress bar and the movement of the reload button are my only complaints. I love the improved speed, the coverflow-style history button (you have to add it to the toolbar) and the downloads button (also manually added to the toolbar.) Top sites is awesome, BTW!

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Anyone know where I can send feedback to Apple about Safari? I really want them to put an option so that you can choose to have tabs either on top or on bottom.

I miss the tabs on top because it made it feel like there was more attention on the webpage itself and not on the browser's interface. I understand though that others feel differently, so Apple should at least give us a preference option to satisfy both camps.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
man, it seems like pages load way slower since installing 4.0 yesterday... frustrating especially since i like everything else...

cancel

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
russia, saint p
tabs not on the top in the final release and that really pissed me off. iWant my tabs on the top like it was in safari 4 beta. that line in terminal didn't work: defaults write com.apple.safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool TRUE
does anyone know how to put tabs back on the top, or can someone give a link to download safari 4 beta for leo?

cancel

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
russia, saint p
Anyone know where I can send feedback to Apple about Safari? I really want them to put an option so that you can choose to have tabs either on top or on bottom.

I miss the tabs on top because it made it feel like there was more attention on the webpage itself and not on the browser's interface. I understand though that others feel differently, so Apple should at least give us a preference option to satisfy both camps.

you can right-click on the toolbar to customize it and add "report bug" button. then you can press it and send to apple your point of view))) but i guess it won't be taken seriously. anyway i did so right away after installing new safari. iSick of tabs eating up my screen. it was really clever to put them on the top.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I personally loved tabs on top but I find it funny that now people are stating their dislike of the flip flop.

ChrisN

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
does the final version still save your page photo's resulting in safari eating up a bunch of hardrive space?

i forgot what it's called.

No, sadly it still caches webpage images of every site you visit. Is there any way to only cache jpegs of Top Sites?

Also, how does one auto-refresh Top Sites? I just went out to dinner for two hours, and when I came back, none of my Top Sites had a blue star in the corner. These are all sites that update frequently. I had to re-launch Safari to get the blue stars to appear.

cancel

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
russia, saint p
Any trick to doing this? I need tabs on top back.

well, open app folder, open time machine, in time machine go back to state when it was beta, select safari by clicking on it and press restore)))) it doesn't replace everything that comes with safari, but for me tabs returned to the top. of course it works only if you backed up your system with installed safari beta before.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I forgot to mention that there is now a Google suggest feature in Safari 4. This is a definite improvement. I will just have to get used to the movement of the reload button and the lack of a progress bar. It is fast enough that that is a minor concern. Overall, it is a vast improvement over Safari 3 (I never used Safari 4 Beta) and it is far ahead of Firefox.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
yep this is new... not sure how useful it is, but a graphical representation is nice I suppose

its better than sitting there waiting for a 50mb pdf to load with a blank screen :)

overall safari is much faster than I expected. Wish there is a way to keep the tabs bar open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.