Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Some of you make this out to be such a huge big deal, when IE crashed three times a day you all took it like oH well but if Safari crashes it is the end of the world. Apple is not infallible and they do make mistakes. I haven't use safari since my first Mac. So to me this is just who cares, I don't use it on my iMacs, Mac Mini's, iPads or iPhones. This is just another day.
It's not a big deal and there is a work around. Most of the time I use my bookmarks. On my mac my homepage is the google search homepage so I can easily type in the search box on the page rather than the using the search bar. It's still working on my iPhone anyway.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Oh its not happening to me because I don't use Google for the search results. DuckDuckGo on both OS X and iOS and no issues here (plus Google isn't tracking me anymore)

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
Freecode for Safari/Apple:
IF PersistentError THEN
Safari-Extra=Close-down
Restart Safari
ENDIF

nutpuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
I believe the correct terminology is "kludge". :)

I've used Windows just about every day for the last 20 years, even though I'd switched my personal computing back to Mac a little over 7 years ago. With each update, I perceive the gap between the two environments closing; I don't attribute it to a substantial improvement in Windows, either. Goofy things in the same ballpark as this issue have always been staples of the Windows environment and up until 4-5 years ago were virtually non-existent on Macs. Contrast to today.

Apparently being better excuses you from continuous improvement? Sounds like a good plan for no longer being better. Excusing one's own faults by blaming another is the game of politicians and let's not let that disease spread elsewhere.

You'll also note that Apple conspicuously no longer uses the subject phrase. They don't need to. Most Apple buyers don't shop for quality because they either expect it to be baked in or are just following the crowd. If Apple says it's quality, then it must be so - until it isn't.

I quite agree with many of your points.

I switched to Mac at home in 2005, really before the explosion of new Mac users and the iPad/iPhone generation.

At the time I switched to avoid these sort of situations of bad updates and poor stability.

For the most part it was a switch well worthwhile.

Over the years I've continued to use Windows at work as well as all flavours of Linux and I've noticed how the gap has closed.

Maybe Apple has become too diverse in their offerings, spreading themselves thinly and taking things for granted.

At the time of Apple vs PC adverts. Apple had a major advantage and although, yes, I'm mostly reflecting to coding on OSX desktops, it was clear Apple was the more stable\quality product.

There is no excuse for a company this size to release an update and expect users to find a work around. Non whatsoever! There are environments when private browsing is a must - I'm talking about business.

I've been putting off purchasing my third Mac laptop.

Mostly as it still worked, but also because I found myself using Linux and my Windows Desktop more and more.

This is my opinion and won't be shared by the majority here.

I'm not saying Microcsoft products are better, or starting a fan bashing post.

But simply stating, I'm more tempted than ever to return to Windows 10 for a desktop and laptop as well as move to Android or Windows for phones.

To me Apple's dominance in quality dwindling. It doesn't warrant the cost when compared to other offerings and this isn't an isolated incident.

Why pay a premium for Apple - I'm now no longer sure I need to.

I'll see if I swap my Macbook for another in the next few weeks, but I know I'll be more than likely to try Android, as I've had every iPhone since the launch.

Dinistreniad

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
This has been driving me nuts all day, even had to use FireFox. I'm so happy to find it's a known issue, I was running out of ideas.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Not really a big deal after having to deal with Safari's "a problem occurred with this web page so it was reloaded" for so long.

If I want to use something that just works I fire up Chrome.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Still crashing for me. Funny, I had no issue until Apple said they fixed it. Safari crashes whenever i close a tab now. Turning off Safari Suggestions still fixes the issue. iPhone 6s Plus on 9.2.1.

putnik

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
Glasgow

Safari users are today reporting an odd issue causing Apple's web browser app to crash on both Macs and iOS devices. Several Mac users are also not receiving autocomplete suggestions when entering text into Safari's address bar, with many pages including sites like Google failing to load completely. For many iPhone and iPad users, simply tapping on the URL bar causes Safari to crash.

URL searches, autocomplete, Top Sites and other Safari features rely on queries being sent to and returned by Apple's servers, suggesting this is where the problem lies. The issue also seems to depend on what data the browser most recently cached.

The current fix for iOS and Mac involves disabling Safari Suggestions, which stops the app from crashing to the home screen. On your iOS device, go into Settings, tap Safari, and toggle off the "Safari Suggestions" switch. On your Mac, the same setting is found in Safari -> Preferences -> Search.

ios_safari.jpg

Alternatively, opening a Private Browsing window also appears to solve the issue.

The problem appears to be affecting users around the world and will likely be resolved when Apple corrects the service on their end.

Update: According to BuzzFeed, Apple has now fixed the issue that was causing the Safari browser to crash on iOS and Macs due to issues with Safari Suggestions.

Article Link: Safari Crashing for Both iOS and Mac Users, Fixes Identified [Update: Fixed]
[doublepost=1453918860][/doublepost]The reported Server side fix is not working for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35420573

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Have not seen any such problem here - OS X 10.10.5 and Safari 9.0.3 on my Mac Pro (2008). I just recently updated Safari (4 days ago). This article says nothing about which versions of Safari or what operating systems are affected.

Good that things were fixed, but what caused the problems in the first place? Will it happen again?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
If you are still having the problem try changing your DNS servers to opendns or just disable 'include safari suggestions' in safari settings, or spotlight suggestions if you are on an older version of OS X. The servers are working now so if you are still having issues your DNS provider is not up to date or you have the faulty entries cached. Either way disabling the suggestions in safari as above.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
No I haven't done that yet as I'm waiting for the official fix not a work around. I imagine that it would work if i did though.

The servers HAVE been fixed, the issue lies with the DNS records which are being served by your ISP or carrier. Once they update their DNS records your device will work, at this point the fault lies with your ISP or carrier for having laggy DNS servers, might be worth using opendns as their performance is likely to be better than the ones you are using now.

Of course, the glitch still exists in Safari and if the Apple servers go pop again it will result in the same problems until Apple fix Safari so that it carries on if it gets duff info from Apple.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The servers HAVE been fixed, the issue lies with the DNS records which are being served by your ISP or carrier. Once they update their DNS records your device will work, at this point the fault lies with your ISP or carrier for having laggy DNS servers, might be worth using opendns as their performance is likely to be better than the ones you are using now.

Of course, the glitch still exists in Safari and if the Apple servers go pop again it will result in the same problems until Apple fix Safari so that it carries on if it gets duff info from Apple.

How often do they update their DNS records?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.