Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Preemptive damage control.

I don't think anyone doubts that Samsung would almost definitely have not released this, were it not for the iPad Pro rumors.

Yep.... That's Samsung's strategy lately, wait for Apple rumors and then throw something together to beat Apple to market. Like that Galaxy Gear that is selling so well.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I don't think anyone doubts that Samsung would almost definitely have not released this, were it not for the iPad Pro rumors.

It's actually hilarious. I'm amazed it took Samsung this long to put out these new tablets. It's just total panic.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I do like the ability to run 4 apps simultaneously (although the Samsung 12.2 didn't seem to do it very smoothly). But is Samsung now taking pages from the MS playbook? They're creating their own fork of Android and turning it into live tiles? I guess their strategy is to grab anyone who might want an iPad and also anyone who might want a Surface. The interface reminds me of Luminis, the clunky visual "portal" that Oracle makes. There's just too much information on the screen at once.

I wish Apple would hook up with someone like Edward Tufte to do this right. For me Windows 8 live tiles is just information overload.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I don't think I'd want a 12" tablet as that's getting in to ultrabook range and I'm guessing the price will be similar.

The UI does look like Windows but I hope if Apple does go the larger iPad route that they create a UI that take's advantage of the larger screen also

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010

The first mention of an iPad Pro I've seen was from MacRumors on November 19, 2013. I doubt Samsung could have made their own in about a month and produced it in numbers.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
That does bring up an interesting potential problem for Apple. As tablet screen sizes get larger, the lack of any kind of simultaneous multitasking (i.e. split screen) becomes an ever more glaringly obvious problem. On a phone or 8" tablet, you can justify the lack of it. On a 10" tablet, the justification becomes shaky. At 12" and above, I think it is a real problem. The A7 chip is certainly powerful enough to handle it, so I hope Apple is prepared to support that on the software side when (if) they release their larger tablet.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Dude. My phone can be a mother****ing TV remote.

I don't know why anyone would buy an iPhone when you can get the clearly superior Samsung™ Galaxy® 4G LTE™ Snapdragon™ NFC© Quad-Core® PenTile™ 128 GB, now with TV Remote Plus.™

Samsung has a free iOS app to do the Samsung TV remote control thing too. Not much of a unique feature for their phones.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
lol... so pathetic.

But I do love Samsung TVs and they are the only Samsung product I own lol.
Very Pathetic indeed.
I am going to be in the market for a new television soon. If apple doesn't get off their arse I will likely be purchasing a Samsung television. That IS the only Samsung product I am interested in.

Benzy

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008

OK so if you release a product after apple, you're a copy cat, but if you release it before Apple, it's "preemptive damage control"?

LOL @ Apple zealots.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
lol... so pathetic.

But I do love Samsung TVs and they are the only Samsung product I own lol.

Why is it pathetic? Did Samsung just design and begin manufacturing these tablets since the Apple rumor surfaced a few days ago? Is that what people really think?

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
no technological advance...

The 12.2 Galaxy tablet as we know now does not seem to advance tablet technology at all. Same display resolution, same processor, same Android app (i.e. no one is optimizing their app to make use of the additional real estate), same battery technology. At a minimum, I would expect a new and more efficient processor, higher resolution and better GPU. And some of the apps need to take advantage of the bigger real estate on the tablet. Without any of that, as a user, I get very little out of the bigger tablet other than getting bigger fonts, bigger picture that is more fuzzy. That is not very helpful in selling more tablet. ... Apple will have the same problem. Their resolution need to be better and they need to introduce a third resolution for Ipad apps and they better get some apps ready at launch to show off the advantage of bigger screen.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
The first mention of an iPad Pro I've seen was from MacRumors on November 19, 2013.
Samsung probably heard about the iPad Pro a bit before you did, what with corporate espionage and all.

----------

Too many ™ for me.

Never used more than 32GB, at least not that anything short of 512GB would fix, nowhere in my area uses nfc, and cores don't matter as much when software can't handle it.
I think you took my light-hearted joke a little too seriously.
Oh hey! My phone can do that too! And let me check… yup. Still an iPhone.

Also, I'm pretty sure that quad-corei isn’t a restricted trade-mark. I guess I’ll have to check on that...
You too.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Understandable strategy from Samsung. All tech companies has been knock off guard by Apple TWICE by original iPhone and iPad. They won't let it happen again.

Now Sam makes literally anything (logical or not) based on Apple related rumors, maybe thanks to this site? The smartwatch, smart tv, larger tablet.
Apparenty it tries to tackle every Apple's possible moves. Well yes most of the time Samsung version sucks, it might as well be called prototype instead of end product. I'm also happy some of them proven to be a flop and it deserves to be.

Fortunately Apple still capable comes up with something sweet and surprising. The last being Touch ID and 64bit ARM while it might be gimmicky for some, it proven to be more useful than Air Gesture or S-whatever on Note 3 or GS4.

But it may be helps for Samsung for being "first". Might be less embarassing than the alternative considering what happened to the tech world because of iphone and ipad.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Q1 launch? That's interesting. I hope that means we'll see the iPad Pro in March rather than having to wait until Oct for it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Understandable strategy from Samsung. All tech companies has been knock off guard by Apple TWICE ny original iPhone and iPad. They won't let it happen again.

Now Sam makes literally anything based on Apple related rumors, maybe thanks to this site? The smartwatch, smart tv, larger tablet.
Apparenty it tries to tackle every Apple's possible moves. Well yes most of the time Samsung version sucks, it might as well be called prototype instead of end product. I'm also happy some of them proven to be a flop and it deserves to be.

But it may be helps for Samsung for being "first". Might be less embarassing than the alternative considering what happened to the tech world because of iphone and ipad.

Amazing if they based it on this site and manufactured a 12" tablet in less than a week! And coming out with a watch at least a year before if/when Apple does. Samsung must be able to see into the future.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

As if Samsung did not release tablets and phones in all sorts of sizes way before Apple did. Just for tablets they already have sizes: 7, 7.7, 8.1 and 10.1. They went for large phones way before Apple did. I am afraid your statement could be taken without sarcasm only on Macrumors.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Understandable strategy from Samsung. All tech companies has been knock off guard by Apple TWICE by original iPhone and iPad. They won't let it happen again.

Now Sam makes literally anything (logical or not) based on Apple related rumors, maybe thanks to this site? The smartwatch, smart tv, larger tablet.

I'm not so sure. The larger iPad rumours have been around for maybe 6 months max. I don't know but I suspect it takes a lot longer than 6 months to design and engineer a 12" tablet with a new UI. Samsung's strategy seems very simple - try and make a device for every possible size requirement. I don't think the rumours surrounding an iPad Pro had anything to do with their decision making.

Tablets will eventually replace laptops, so it just makes sense to make larger screen versions. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a 14" version next year. The other day I even saw an 18" Dell tablet with a stand to put it on so it looks like a desktop. So tablets could even replace desktops one day.

----------

Just in time for post-Christmas.

It's clearly a business focussed device. Businesses tend to spend their IT budgets at the start of the year rather than at Christmas time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.