Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I've never used AnTuTu
so you only bring up testing in what apple does good in?

I thought you wanted the most powerful and highest performing chip? you do know the gs8 will have the most powerful GPU in any phone until the next gen iPhone comes out right.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
Apple sell feature sets, not chipsets. Although I still like this phone and I wouldn't pass one up to give a fair trial, I still think Apple make tools whereas Samsung make toys. When was the last time you saw ANY Android phone being used for a SERIOUS commercial or media, artistic creation or A/V creative purpose?

Even BB OS 10 which is (apparently) "dead" (I own 4 BB OS 10 phones - and a LOT of others... don't ask.. hehe) is better than Android.

slimothy

Suspended
May 31, 2011
USA
Sure, but there's a world of difference between "a lot" and "everybody". A lot of people work very hard. More than the ones wanting handouts.

I think it's a matter of taste. To me iPhones are just ugly. And the choice is too small screens with huge bezels (ridiculous 4" or 4.7"), or a large screen with huge bezels. Awful, really.

When I see someone with an iPhone, without exception, it's a case of that person being technically illiterate or fairly shallow combined with an excessive care about status signalling. I don't mind the first category - after all, most people are technically illiterate - but I don't make friends with the second. Frankly, I despise them. Android offers more functionality and far more device choice at better prices (in some cases, much better, if you don't buy immediately after release and shop around).
It's a figure of speech. A vast majority want handouts.

I disagree, but to each their own. Wait till the iPhone 8. Androids have even worse bezels, up until this year. Give Apple their chance.

Ew no. When I see someone with an Android phone I automatically think they're cheap/in debt/poor. It's just automatic and after talking to many people over the years, a lot of people also see this. Maybe not exactly the same way, but they see it as they're second-class compared to first class iPhone users. Because "iPhone is premium". Which it is way more premium of a device overall, materials and design combined. There isn't any arguing that point. Also everyone hates Android users because they don't have iMessage. Lol if I see someone send me a green text, I already know I don't want to talk to them.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Apple sell feature sets, not chipsets. Although I still like this phone and I wouldn't pass one up to give a fair trial, I still think Apple make tools whereas Samsung make toys. When was the last time you saw ANY Android phone being used for a SERIOUS commercial or media, artistic creation or A/V creative purpose?

Apple make tools? Oh come on. They make entertainment devices that are used as "tools" by a handful of enthusiasts.

Reactions: Defthand

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
so you only bring up testing in what apple does good in?

I thought you wanted the most powerful and highest performing chip? you do know the gs8 will have the most powerful GPU in any phone until the next gen iPhone comes out right.

Spec battles imminent... may as well abandon all logic and shut down the thread. -_-

Reactions: grkm3

slimothy

Suspended
May 31, 2011
USA
When I see someone with an iPhone, sometimes I see someone who is new to technology and needs it to be simplified and streamlined because they have a hard time adapting to more complex and powerful controls.

Note that iOS is falling out of favour with the younger generation: The people who grew up with digital tools rather than having to learn them as adults.

Steve was amazing at making devices for "digital immigrants" -- people who had to adapt partway through their lives.

Fewer buttons, fewer functions, no need to customize or personalize or even understand. More predictability, more analogous to a physical tool.

What Apple has collectively forgotten is that the next generation already knows how to wipe their own butts and does not require any help from mommy or daddy.

900x900px-LL-eef31b9d_8ddb76d5d55194a7f43b4b6fa590d26e.jpeg
See it as you may, but a phone is a phone. Androids can't do anything an iPhone can't do. Jailbreak your iPhone if you need a damn theme. Androids have nothing to offer, honestly.

Reactions: 6foot5foot

slimothy

Suspended
May 31, 2011
USA
I think in one sentence that you encompass everything that is bad about Apple fans!!!
I think in that one sentence you just generalized as much as I did, therefore making you as bad as, if not worse than these "Apple fans" you so despise.
[doublepost=1490893550][/doublepost]
Sorry, but there is nothing at all exclusive about iPhone ownership anymore. A comparison between a $5000 watch and a phone used by my 8 year old niece is spurious at best.
$11,000*. And maybe you should re-read the original post if you're not comprehending.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
See it as you may, but a phone is a phone. Androids can't do anything an iPhone can't do. Jailbreak your iPhone if you need a damn theme. Androids have nothing to offer, honestly.

Yes they do:

~ Have Android activation lock bypassed (did this myself - bought a Moto G3 as "found"/"locked" and bypassed the "lock" and set it up as a new one)

~ Extra waiting time before things happen (good old Dalvik.)

~ Inconsistent and confusing hardware support from OEMs.

~ An extra 20mS of lag for audio.

I can find more. :)
[doublepost=1490893680][/doublepost]
Nice to see it's facial recognition can be fooled by a photo - imagine the outcry here if that was an apple iphone

Sounds like online dating.

Reactions: slimothy

AdamskiUK

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
When I see someone with an iPhone, without exception, it's a case of that person being technically illiterate or fairly shallow combined with an excessive care about status signalling. I don't mind the first category - after all, most people are technically illiterate - but I don't make friends with the second. Frankly, I despise them. Android offers more functionality and far more device choice at better prices (in some cases, much better, if you don't buy immediately after release and shop around).

Hahahaha, silly troll trolls well. Have you ever considered the fact that a vast majority of iPhone owners made the purchase because they want a functioning smartphone - both now, and in 2 OS updates time? Old Galaxy S phones are laggy and buggy to hell, with no security fixes. You're lucky if your OS is updated on 2 year-old Android phones unless you buy flagship phones at prices which compete with Apple's.

I buy iPhones because every single Android phone that has come into any of the THREE separate households that I've lived in over the past 5 years has conked out mere months (or in the first year) after purchase. LGs, HTCs, Samsungs -- screen faults, speaker faults, OS = laggy/malware & adware, memory just dying etc. etc.

I built my own computer with my dad aged 5 - I socketed the damn CPU. My job's a real job - I can't afford to rely on an unreliable phone. I like things that work - quick, efficient, intuitive.

Android, unfortunately, doesn't meet any of those criteria.

Reactions: 6foot5foot

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
these phones are at a point where we need longer battery life over 800 more points in geekbench lol
I've never EVER seen the need for such daftness as running "benchmarks" - this would imply you designed the phone inside and out, and could do something MEANINGFUL with said data points... (and I don't mean bragging to equally delusional peers.)

^ Aimed in general, not at you, clearly :)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This would be great for hot desk scenarios, presentations etc and would cost a company peanuts for a few DeX docks rather than purchasing, supporting a PC/Mac.

That's assuming every user will have one of these DeX compatible phones. You'll need a monitor, keyboard and mouse... and a regular computer for everyone else who doesn't have one of these special phones.

The more I look at this the more I'm loving the idea of having an entire office on a phone that can give you a full desktop experience.

The phone in your pocket is just the brain.

You still need a dock, monitor, keyboard and mouse. And you need those everywhere you're likely to do work.

So that means a dock, monitor, keyboard and mouse at the office... maybe a dock, monitor, keyboard and mouse at home. Will hotels offer a dock, monitor, keyboard and mouse in certain rooms? How about a meeting in some other location?

It begs the question... what is wrong with the laptop you're already using?

Will the next laptops be nothing more than a integrated, screen, keyboard, battery dock for your phone - with the phone replacing the touchpad?

Let's hope they work with multiple brands of phones. Screens and keyboards don't really become obsolete. But if these lapdocks only work with one type of phone... they will end up in a landfill when phones get upgraded over time.

And again... what is wrong with actual laptops? At least they work standalone.

Once again an area that Apple cannot explore due to locking themselves into the iPhone / iPad / Mac - iOS/MacOS BS.

Did you ever assume that Apple doesn't want to go down this road?

How many other attempts have been made? Motorola Atrix comes to mind... as does Microsoft Continuum.

The dream is there: "Turn your phone into a computer"

But it hasn't ever taken off. And I doubt Samsung is gonna make it happen.

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Old Galaxy S phones are laggy and buggy to hell, with no security fixes.

My job's a real job - I can't afford to rely on an unreliable phone. I like things that work - quick, efficient, intuitive.

Android, unfortunately, doesn't meet any of those criteria.
Weird.

Swap the OSes and you have my experience deploying every generation of iPhone from 1 to 6s to my users, plus watching my friends' experiences with them. B-A-D bad.

My experience is that get 9-18 months max on an iPhone and then it goes sour. Features quit. Battery craps out. The screens are incredibly easy to shatter. The camera flash comes on and stays on 24x7. The home button quits. Siri quits. Airplay quits.

I have personally swapped a dozen of them at Apple stores. No questions asked because they swap out sub-1-year-old iPhones all day every day.

Fortunately by the time your iPhone starts to decompose, Apple has released something new and shiny so The Faithful don't begrudge the excuse to spend another thousand dollars.

Meanwhile, Android 5+ has been bulletproof for me despite my beating every device like a rented mule. I am almost 3 years into my Note 4 and I can't break the hardware or the software. At my real job.

I did kill the battery after 2 years, but that was no problem as two spares plus an external charger cost $40USD shipped. Now I have a brand new battery plus a hot spare.

GF's iPhone 6s has to be on charge at work and on charge at home, and her purse is crammed with portable batteries.

Anyway, weird. I guess it's a sample size error in one or both cases.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It's not going to be doing anything different in 6 months time. It will still be a fantastic device come september.

Yep. Looks like a great phone. But folks often like to buy latest and greatest. If the phone doesn't look good enough to get you to buy now, I'm skeptical that a reader of (and very frequent poster on) MacRumors is abandoning iOS in September.

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
"Samsung release a phone that tries to add all of the iPhone 8 rumours into an Android phone but with no thought at all".

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Weird.

Swap the OSes and you have my experience deploying every generation of iPhone from 1 to 6s to my users, plus watching my friends' experiences with them. B-A-D bad.

My experience is that get 9-18 months max on an iPhone and then it goes sour. Features quit. Battery craps out. The screens are incredibly easy to shatter. The camera flash comes on and stays on 24x7. The home button quits. Siri quits. Airplay quits.

I have personally swapped a dozen of them at Apple stores. No questions asked because they swap out sub-1-year-old iPhones all day every day.

Fortunately by the time your iPhone starts to decompose, Apple has released something new and shiny so The Faithful don't begrudge the excuse to spend another thousand dollars.

Meanwhile, Android 5+ has been bulletproof for me despite my beating every device like a rented mule. I am almost 3 years into my Note 4 and I can't break the hardware or the software. At my real job.

I did kill the battery after 2 years, but that was no problem as two spares plus an external charger cost $40USD shipped. Now I have a brand new battery plus a hot spare.

GF's iPhone 6s has to be on charge at work and on charge at home, and her purse is crammed with portable batteries.

Anyway, weird. I guess it's a sample size error in one or both cases.
Weird. Still using my original 2010 iPhone 4. Just works. My 2013 5s likewise. And likewise for my iPad 2. Anyway, as you said sample size of one in both cases.

Reactions: Dirtfarmer

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
"Samsung release a phone that tries to add all of the iPhone 8 rumours into an Android phone but with no thought at all".
So nwhat you are saying is that Samsung started knocking this device together in about December time, and just managed to get it tooled and machined and coded in a meer matter of weeks, instead of the usual 24 months at least development of a new device. Mmm. Do you actually believe this tripe, or are you just after the likes from the gallery. You are out of luck on this one fella, 44 pages in, and there only the most bitter of bitterest ifans saying anything negative about this device. They know who they are, it's sheer jealousy due to the mind blowing disappointment they feel after every keynote, but hey its Apple so they just have to buy it.. right?

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

iPhone 8 rumors were to do
18:9 aspect ratio?
finger print scanner on back?
dex docking?
dedicated siri/assistant button?
face detection?
Iris scanning?
no side bezel?
5.8 in and 6.2 in models?
bring back headphone jack (Sammy kept it)
USBC?
wireless charging?
water ip68?
glass curved back?
glass curved front?
hdr screen?
dual Bluetooth ?
gigabit LTE?

aside from getting rid of the hardware buttons Android has moved to on-screen buttons and Samsung had on-screen buttons on the galaxy Nexus way before the iPhone 5 was even out.what exact rumors did Samsung steal and put together real quick?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
And everyone should be a critic because it's all personal preference.

1) I guess don't break it lol. I've never broken a phone and I don't use cases or screen protectors. That's just up to the user really. Price shouldn't really have anything to do with that. If it did have something to do with it, you'd be able to assume that if the user paid more, they'd take better care of it.
Of course, the previous 2 times I've broken phones were by accident. Otherwise, I've had a good 6 year run thus far.

Still, accidents happen. Having a more expensive phone doesn't magically make it safer. I take care of my stuff no matter what. Akin to driving... I drive safely whether if I'm in a Toyota, or if I got a chance to drive a luxury car.

That said, I would want to wait a few more years before letting my 10 and 5yo niece and nephew borrow my phone, and even then, I'd have to think about it.

2) I'm sure it's doable. There are some great phones for people who don't have much money to spend on premium devices. I don't need to be the one to tell you though, that carrying around a nice brand new iPhone gives you a really good feeling.
More good feelings to you then! :cool: It is indeed personal preferences. I'd feel like a bloody idiot if I paid $650 to $100 for a phone when a $220 phone looks slightly less good, but still does everything I'd need to out of it.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Bwahahaha, I love all the "Apple better up their game" drooling threads.
First of all this looks pretty much like the phone is rumored to be producing except with iOS and possibly a few other surprises.
Secondly, think about ads for Apps which frequently state something to the effect of "available for iPhone or Android".
They don't say "available for iPhone or Galaxy". Except among Samsung fans, the Galaxy is just another Android phone competing in a sea of Android devices. Edge to Edge will in many Android phones before you know it. Plus, reviewers are already laughing and grousing about the Galaxy's fingerprint sensor placement.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yep. Looks like a great phone. But folks often like to buy latest and greatest. If the phone doesn't look good enough to get you to buy now, I'm skeptical that a reader of (and very frequent poster on) MacRumors is abandoning iOS in September.
Good point.

I know if I don't get the S8 now then I won't when the iphone 8 is out. I have been tempted past two days to get the S8 but realise I'm to into my apple products to switch. The OS works too well in my daily life.

7 plus
apple watch
macbook pro
ipad pro
apple pencil
air pods

just hard to switch when you use all these apple devices on a daily basics.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
This would be great for hot desk scenarios, presentations etc and would cost a company peanuts for a few DeX docks rather than purchasing, supporting a PC/Mac.

The more I look at this the more I'm loving the idea of having an entire office on a phone that can give you a full desktop experience.

Will the next laptops be nothing more than a integrated, screen, keyboard, battery dock for your phone - with the phone replacing the touchpad?

Once again an area that Apple cannot explore due to locking themselves into the iPhone / iPad / Mac - iOS/MacOS BS.

This is absolutely the most RIDICULOUS thing I've heard anyone say in a loooong time.
You did NOT think this through before posting.
Lol, companies don't hand people out computers because- actually they could do all their corporate work on their phones just fine; the only thing they want to provide w/ a PC is a larger screen.
Who would think that is the case?????????
Computers are used because the more sophisticated desktop architecture allows for complex network security & permissions protocols, access to myriad peripherals on said network, the ability to run custom software written specifically for their company, etc, etc; if companies felt like their employees could do 100% of their work, sans computers- it would "cost them peanuts" to NOT buy dex docks at all, and just let people use their phones.
(moot point/completely rhetorical... this is a consumer product; this is on ZERO company's radar as a PC replacement)
You obviously haven't even the vaguest of business tech experience... have you ever even heard of TCO?
Desktop PCs are powerful, last for 3-5 years & can now often come in at a roughly $300 price tag. They are versatile & built to run on a set of standards & protocols, ensuring interoperability. That's how you calculate the TCO.
Now, imagine a new product (your dex dock) that REQUIRES users to be on one very specific piece of hardware, will likely not work w/ products that come out 3-5 years from now, or even 3-5 months from now, tbh. It wouldn't lend itself to standard Windows Network Management in any corporate environment.... It's just a nightmare of an idea, a COMPLETELY sunk cost, w/ a short frame of usability, etc.

Didn't mean to shatter your "Android as the corporate OS of choice" fantasy, but frankly- it was absurd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.