Samsung's Galaxy S9 Expected to Copy iPhone X's Animoji Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2018.

1. ravenstar macrumors regular

I don't understand how so many people don't see the potential in having real time motion capture animation in a device they carry in their pockets. This tech is in its infancy. Combined with AR/VR, there's a revolution waiting to happen.

2. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

It's an app on the App Store called Animoji. A trademark infringement at best. It comes with with animated emoji, and you send them from the app as gifs. Not like Apple's thing at all.

3. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Trademarks apply to names, not the technology behind the product. That's patents.

I'm sure Samsung will come up with some clever, different name like S-Animoji and be in the clear.

4. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

Many apps had talking “emojis” that tracked your face long before the X. Move along... nothing to report here.

5. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Oh no. Just when I thought I escaped nonsense features by moving to Samsung... Maybe all this Amoji stuff will lead to bigger, more useful things, but for now it seems to be a childish novelty. R&D should be spent on other things. This is not consistent with Samsung's "Growing Up" ad.

6. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

They clearly lack innovation.. Where are my Dino-mojys?

7. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Was that even necessary?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    Yes, I agree. What's good, though, it in about two years they should be over. They'll all be just a commodity.

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Much appreciated. Speaking of sucking up, it's time for me to do mine... for the millionth time it seems.:oops: Welp, here goes:
    Dear Apple
    Please give me an updated mini. I've only been asking for 3 years. I am getting pretty desperate I think. If you pop out an updated (real update - not that okey doke from the last time) mini, I would switch to an iPhone for at least a month.

9. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Apple only made Animoji to keep Samsung busy copying that instead of other things.

10. apolloa macrumors G4

So, whilst the iPhone may be the most publicised device work ‘animojis’ Mainly thanks to Apples constant barrage of publicising it! I’m also pretty certain Apple do not invent animojis either...

It’s sad this website will proclaim to this story about something Apple didn’t invent, so far as I know, and yet Huewai or however you spell it are heavily rumoured to be copying the X design and notch in its up coming phones, but is that mentioned on here? Noooooo... because that won’t generate as many clicks right?

11. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

Of course they will, they've been copying the iPhone since 2007

12. Shlooky macrumors regular

Hey, it gives the Android community a chance at Animoji's too. Why not ;)

13. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Of course I am. The tech used for Animoji and Face ID were both much larger before Apple bought the companies, miniaturized the components, and created the software for the feature. You think this is just something thrown together with no innovation at all? People are so short sighted.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

It sad people come here to read things that make them sad.
    It ain't just this site:
    samsung s9 animojis
    Already covered in general.
    MacRumors: Google 'Embracing' Notch Design in 2018 Android Update, Preparing for New Wave of iPhone X Clones

15. Romy90210 macrumors 6502

LOL.. Come on Samsung!! if you are going to copy apple, at least copy something useful..

16. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

What would that be then?

17. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I guess I didn't look at it that way. If it leads to bigger, better and more useful things, then I'm all for it.

18. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

think I've used it on my iPhone X maybe 2-3 times...hardly a big selling point in fairness.

19. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

But apple didn't INVENT or INOVATE it, it was already done, as you said, Apple bought the companies. Apple didn't miniaturize the components, companies like Samsung, Intel, etc did that. The only thing Apple did, is take existing technology and put it in an iPhone. As for the software, there is no direct or indirect proof that APPLE did or did not create to software. My guess, is since the technology already existed, the software already exists and has already been patented. But I don't know, but it doesn't make me or anyone else short sighted.

20. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Thank you. These comments give me hope for the future of Mankind. :apple:

21. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Again, very short sighted. Yup, Apple just bought the companies and pushed the "put it in the iPhone" button. There was no work or innovation done at all. Every single electronic device is the result of other companies work. Technologies, components, etc. That doesn't make it any less innovative to take all of these technologies and create a great product. I guess you think the original iPhone wasn't innovative either. All of those technologies existed prior. This is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've heard on here.

22. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

So is the standard for innovation whether or not a company creates something on its own or acquires it from another company?

23. mackinmike macrumors 6502

Copying is prevalent across all companies... including Apple!!! Shocker. There are tons of stuff Apple copied from Android but no one screams that in Macrumors because we live in a vacuum and no one can scream. Conclusion: get over it.

24. apolloa, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

apolloa macrumors G4

Firstly as I said, did Apple invent Animojis? And I didn’t see many other stories claiming they were copying Apple like this one.

And secondly, no that story does not cover it, it only pertains to Google and not Huawei:

http://pocketnow.com/2018/02/09/huawei-p20-plus-leaked-renders-three-rear-cameras

This is how you copy Apple..

25. mackinmike macrumors 6502

I just hope the intro of animoji from Sammy doesn't have person imitating a freaking horse.... like that dude that made a fool of himself in Apple's presentation. Lol.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    Animoji's is not a selling point for phones.... so who cares. In other news..... i'd like to see a fingerprint sensor embeded under the screen ALONG w/ face recognition.... not either/or