Several iPhone X Owners Encountering Green Line on Display Due to Potential Hardware Defect

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. berrymetal macrumors member

berrymetal

2. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Believe me, people. This is NOT photoshopped and it’s more widespread than first thought. So much so, it’s even taken hold of the iPhone X packaging. :p:D:eek:

[​IMG]

3. cmaier macrumors G3

More likely the display controller than the display. A display issue would not be likely to take out a whole line.

4. mistasopz macrumors regular

It's perfectly normal for a $1000 phone to have a green line down the screen.... uh, it's a feature. Erm, you're looking at it wrong...

5. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Pretty much all this

6. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Thank you :)

7. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

So get a replacement? Every hardware has a small amount of units with issues.

8. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Hey, you must be new here. Pleased to meet you. You’re a bit too rational for this place but try and have a pleasant stay.

9. Tech198 macrumors G4

10. HacKage macrumors regular

I has very similar on my S7 Edge, a pink line running down the LCD. It was caused by having the phone face in in pretty tight jeans. My thigh was putting a lot of pressure on the top of the screen and caused the line. When pressing on the Samsung logo, the line would dance about and react to further pressure, and when pressure was removed it would go back to the original spot.
    I do mobile repairs and LCD refurbishment, and AMOLED screens are incredibly fragile! I would not be surprised if this is an issue along the same lines (pardon the pun) as my S7E.

Also for the people saying 20 odd reports is nothing. What about Joe Bloggs that doesn't go onto Reddit or MacRumors to complain about it? What you see online is never a true representation of the real figures. Not saying it's thousands of units, but for sure it'll be a lot more than 20.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Happened to my friends Samsung TV a few years ago as well.

12. xraytech macrumors 68030

13. mscice macrumors regular

I been reading its only samsung panels ... not LG

14. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

15. ACST Suspended

Yes, we all have the proof that Samsung makes 100% of the panels for the X, if you would have followed the news about the X even for a little the last couple of months you would know that... Maybe research a bit better before commenting...

16. Dave245 macrumors 601

I’ve been around here for a few years now, but I get your point :D

17. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

I agree completely. I'm going out on a limb and speculate it's related to the manner in which the OLED is folded around itself at the bottom to connect with the Display Controller. :apple:

18. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

You mean as long as it's Apple products, because when only 92 of over 1 million Samsung Note 7 phones had battery issues, Apple people here weren't so kind and were quick to pour salt all over it.

19. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

Why is everyone giving Apple a pass on this with the argument "well, gee if you make millions of anything some are gonna be bad" How about Apple improves quality control and catches these defective products in the factory?

20. I7guy macrumors G5

Same reason Samsung got a pass with pink screen? Of course "everyone" gives a manufacturer they like a pass and a chance to fix the issue. Right? LIke with the Note 7 as well.

21. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I believe most of the green line instances occurred after using it for a short time. So would not have shown up in the factory.

22. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

But nobody gave Samsung a pass with the Note 7, in fact people spent the best part of a year making exploding jokes.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    That's nonsense; you telling me they wouldn't have stress-testing some devises before being comfortable going to manufacture?

23. I7guy macrumors G5

While a lot of negative press was generated from the Note 7 debacle, there were posts on this website, giving the Note 7 a pass. So your statement isn't a true in the general sense. Generalizing with words like "everyone" or "nobody" is never a true statement being pedantic. People do have different thoughts about different matters.

24. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

And the burn in.

25. Rhartford macrumors newbie

Rhartford

I’m interested in how people unequivocally say Face ID is easier. With Touch ID I can pull my phone from by pocket and it can be unlocked and at home screen without me even looking at it, and without me pressing a button or doing a gesture. Quick draw I win every time. Sure there are rare instances when it may not work (wet fingers and gloves); but I can do it from any orientation and with my choice of (multiple) fingers, and I’ve since read Face ID might have issues with wet faces? And of course with some sunglasses and such, plus limited angle and orientation. And since we’re forced to swipe up to open, gloves will be an issue there too. I’ve tried it and I prefer Touch ID for my use case.
    It’s fine if you love it, but I get annoyed when fans suddenly proclaim anything other than the newest tech is all of a sudden Stone Age and inferior.