Several iPhone X Owners Encountering Green Line on Display Due to Potential Hardware Defect

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

[​IMG]

This is getting good. Barley one week and two gates. The iPhone X is going to be the first gen Touch Bar MacBook Pro of the iPhone line.

2. curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

Yep. Like with the notch, with time X owners won't even notice it.

3. Sefstah macrumors 6502

You don’t recall? Or you didn’t read? If you’re gonna chime into a discussion, you should at least read it! Then you would “recall” it being said. Wow! You really made that assumption about me. You have a vivid imagination! But you are most definitely wrong.

4. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Amen! Those with money to burn...

5. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I’m my post “ suck it up “ doesn’t mean live with the issue. It means “ suck it up “ you and everybody else has a busy life and they can find time to get their phones replaced. If it mattered that much you’d find the time. Unless of course you want Apple to drive a replacement phone out to your home cause you have kids and 2 jobs.

James

6. raghu8912 macrumors regular

I personally think Apple is responsible for this defect.
    but i would like to hear from Samsung fans who said credit for beautiful iPhone X OLED screen goes to Samsung because Samsung manufactured it, should we blame Samsung for this defect or Apple ?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Every product will some design issues at launch, so every customer buying new product is beta testing the product.

7. mynameisbogdan, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

mynameisbogdan macrumors newbie

funny because that number of Note7s that catched fire (20 out of 3 million) made samsung recall them

8. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

9. curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

The X was only released a week ago. Give it time. How long did it take for the Note 7 to go past "20 units"? You may be correct, and this may turn out to be just a blip; but it is too early to make the judgment. It is also too early to know how successful face id will be, both as a security feature and for IR eye interactions. The overall success of any product takes a bit of time to judge. More attention is being given to the X due to all of its pre-release hype and its ground breaking (budget breaking?) price point. I hope that the face id and OLED work for the X overall. Apple is about to release a new generation of iPad Pro with face id and OLED. It was my learning that that got me to buy a new iPad Pro yesterday, as I wanted one soon, but don't want to risk $1200 on a generation 1 product.

10. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

But what about when that situation does happen? (And oh boy, does it.) When the tail's wagging the dog, it's incumbent upon us all to point that out.

You seem to take a special interest in demonizing those who have issues with some of Apple's products. You've done that in this thread and others—so much so that I've noticed the pattern. You discount their experiences and imply "they" are the problem. I have to ask: why?

I also just took a look at your most recent posts. Just the first page of them. In those posts, you talk about "Apple haters," "Apples [sic] ridiculous success," Tim Cook's "fantastic job," and how the success of the iPhone is due to Apple and Apple alone, just to name a few.

I wonder: can you articulate some things Apple does poorly? Where Apple and/or its products or services need significant improvement? This topic regarding issues with the displays would be an excellent place to start, and germane to boot.

If not, then please see above in regard to tails wagging dogs.

11. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Because lithium battery fire is the same as a display with lines.

Lithium ion batteries is considered a dangerous goods which has to be heavily regulated. This is why it was such big deal.

12. curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

Would be interesting to see how the LG V30 pans out, both for durability and display issues. It appears to be sort of like an X in those areas, being OLED and mostly glass. It does, though, feature a phone jack and a fine 4 channel DAC for audio enthusiasts. Onward through the phogg. I'm appreciating my 6S+ more and more. By this time next year, we'll have better judgment through sufficient hindsight.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    First off, how many have been delivered out of those sales?

As for numbers, they're obviously not the actual count of how many have failed. For every unit that people post about, there can easily be ten or twenty or even more that we don't hear about.

The question is, what causes it, and is it something that can be checked for at the factory ahead of time... or does it only show up after some usage.

14. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Beta testers with money to burn? Uhh if you get the green line, just go to Apple and have it replaced.

It’s not like we are stuck with faulty units and can’t exchange it.

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You created some type of a ridiculous fictional script that has no value whatsoever.

The way I see it, is that when one posts Frivolous drivel like this, is hiding behind the fact how upset they are with Apple and they don't agree with the changes made over the years, so they express nonsense posts like these on a tech forum to show others their disapproval. But in the real world, none of what you're saying actually has any relevance to how successful this Company is today.

16. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

Oh the irony of this post. You should look in the mirror.

17. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

"Apple should have known better than to buy the best mobile display manufacturer in the world by far"

Yeah true they shoulda bought LG panels.. because that worked out real well for the Pixel 2 XL

18. curtvaughan, Nov 10, 2017

curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

Depends on the competition - what other phones, sans green line and face id, could I get for $500. Actually, that's roughly what I could buy a 6S for these days, or a new LG V20 now that the V30s have been released.

19. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

New iPhone -> New Defect
    The price increases every year and the quality decreases... Blah...

20. psingh01 macrumors 65816

The line means it's an authentic iPhone X ;)

21. curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

You'll note that MS skipped Windows 9 as well - went from 8 to 10. I'm sure that's just serendipity. ;)

22. john123, Nov 10, 2017

john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Yeah, that's not an answer.

As for me, I have a pretty balanced view. I've been an Apple user for roughly 30 years. And I've been on Macrumors for 16 years. I believe in giving Apple kudos when they do something well, and I believe in calling them out when they do something poorly. If you were to look at my posts, you'd note that I've done an excellent job of striking that balance (while admittedly being much more critical of late).

So I ask you again: can you tell me some things Apple is not doing well and on which they need to improve? (Including, specifically perhaps this issue?) I guarantee you that Tim Cook and every other senior exec at Apple can do that. If you can't, then you should take to heart what I wrote previously. You won't, for reasons I already explained. But that the proves my point.

23. tim199225 macrumors newbie

tim199225

hi guys,

I am from Germany, had my phone since 3.11 .
    64Gb Silver and today it happens to me too during watching a Youtube video via WLAN.

[​IMG]

24. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Lots of questions there in your post, darling. For now it's just a click-bait article with no substantial evidence that anything other than a few units have bad screens.

edit: Note that I'm not trying to argue with you, I actually like your posts and agree with your comments.

25. viizi macrumors regular

If it was a google phone, there would be a software fix lol