Several iPhone X Owners Encountering Green Line on Display Due to Potential Hardware Defect

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. callea macrumors regular

callea

I do not see any videos on Youtube that show the moving screen with the static green line.
    Only static ones.
    Where is the proof?

2. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

No, you don’t. Your post history proves it.

I can name lots of things about Apple I don’t like. Especially as a developer. Like how you can’t offer trial Apps or the fact you can’t let people buy a “lite” version and pay a fee to upgrade to a “pro” version (without having to resort to less elegant workarounds like in-App purchases). Or the numerous issues with using iCloud to store data and how buggy it was in the beginning. Or the long wait to allow TouchID in Apps. Or not allowing developers access to NFC. Or restrictions about code in Apps, preventing developers from creating things like emulators or compilers.

The reason you don’t see me talk about them is they’re not relevant in most discussions. Perhaps I should create a Top 10 list of things I don’t like and randomly insert comments into discussions, regardless of whether they’re relevant?

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I hope my iPhone X doesn't do this.

When it comes ...

In about 8 months.

4. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

I really hope you’re not in customer service! And the next time one of your possessions malfunctions, just remember “suck it up!”

5. Derived macrumors 6502

Derived

Welcome to the wonderful world of OLED.

I used to work for a cell carrier, saw this issue so many times with OLED displays on certain brands it was incredible.

OLED may look nice, but it's delicate, burns in, does...whatever this is, it's expensive to make, and overall has a limited lifespan. And for a while was harder to make fully color-accurate. Those are all reasons Apple avoided it for so long, I hope this ends up being a limited issue so when I eventually get an OLED iPhone this doesn't happen...

6. Aldobot macrumors newbie

Greenland sucks

7. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

Like I said, I have 16 years on these forums with posts going back to the year 2003. Feel free to read them. Or not. Your choice. The evidence speaks for itself. As for stating that I don't have a balanced view when my own words prove that I do...well, just like folks need to be reminded in our political climate today, simply saying something over and over doesn't make it true.

8. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I’ve had to “ suck it up “ many times. You can bet if my new TV craps out in a month it does suck pretty bad but I go and get it replaced no matter how much I paid for it. $”@/ happens and life isn’t fair. But I don’t dwell on it and I move on. Like I said it’s just a phone it’s not like it’s a house or a car that’s falling apart. Trust me life does go on outside of the iPhone.

James

9. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

You never know. He might be on Apple's payroll to spread fake news about how good Apple products are and to attack anyone who criticizes the company. :rolleyes:

10. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Gen 2 here we come!

Ive's evolution of the X...

11. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

Haha. Always possible! But I think the more likely explanation for most people has to do with their history with Apple.

This company didn't become the most valuable one (not to mention the most valuable brand) in the world overnight. It's introduced some remarkable products and as such has generated quite a bit of brand loyalty. That goes a looooong way. Ask Pepsi. Its products have won in many blind taste tests, yet Coke's brand gives it most of the market share. Apple's done exactly that, only better.

Once that brand loyalty kicks in, people tend not to let it go very easily. They are prone to forgive some small nuisances or dislikes in the name of the "overall experience." And sometimes, that affinity is so strong that some believe the nuisances aren't even a problem at all. (Cough cough "I like the notch!")

This isn't an insult against them by any means. It's what decades of psychology research tells us is supposed to happen when a company and a brand do what they're intended to do.

But it is something about which we should collectively try to be mindful. Do we evaluate A, B, and C, and adjust our beliefs accordingly? Or do we think about our beliefs and then render a decision about A, B, and C? The order of operations matters.

And that's the reason I interjected here to begin with. When a forum member was attacked for saying nothing more than that he was simply "glad [he] waited", that's craaaaaaazy. When another forum member was attacked as being "the issue" for saying he's had a "list of unsatisfying customer service experiences," that too is craaaaaaazy. And when I'm attacked for sticking up for those guys and for acknowledging the legitimacy of criticisms about some of these products and their design, that's even more craaaaaaazy.

Unfortunately, there's no solution. I personally like it when I learn something that proves me wrong. That's when I learn. But most people don't feel that way. And the more closed-minded a person is, the less they are receptive to the notion that they're closed-minded. It's a vicious cycle. So alas, we go round and round.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

If it is indeed an issue with the display, both Apple and Samsung should be held accountable.

13. mib1800 macrumors 68030

Can it be the cut out notch/rounded corners that is causing it. When the notch is cut it may have caused the damage to parts of the screen.

For comparison for galaxy phones Samsung didn't cut the screen. The rounded corners are done with a black overlay.

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

You don't have much choice now. iPhone X is completely sold out.

15. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Once had MacOS9 crash in a strange way and it literally went to a green screen interface. I think Apple II code is alive and well today.

16. Jbusick7944 macrumors regular

Haha, "tough titties" is awesome.

17. ttripoli macrumors newbie

Could the title be any more misleading? Small but growing? 25 people. To me thats so small relative to production it is not even worth writing an article on.

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You know. I was thinking on something I read on the Apple iPhone X:

"Using innovative folding and circuit stacking technology, the OLED panel follows the curves of the device into the farthest reaches of the corners. Then it uses a process called subpixel anti-aliasing to tune individual pixels for smooth, distortion-free edges."

Do you think perhaps the screen slightly curving towards the end of the bezel has anything to do with it? I'm sincerely curious.

19. halluxsinister macrumors member

halluxsinister

Maybe Apple should have called it the iPhone b. (Or more to the point, the iPhone β, because they obviously didn't test it enough.). Can't help but wonder if the root of all these problems is tied to Apple's decision to make their new products progressively crappier and crappier, and some of the people down-the-line from the executives are just being proactive; I mean, to me, the idiotic decision to remove the headphone jack from a device that totally needs and should have a headphone jack simply indicated to lower-level employees that Apple intends to push defective products onto people too stupid to realize they shouldn't buy them.

The last good new iPhone was the 5S, (and the SE, which is just a 6S in a 5S body,) and it's all been downhill since then.

All the problems since, have just proved my point; Apple comes up with increasingly inferior products, and keeps jacking the price up, knowing that they've passed the point where people will question whether or not there's a reason to keep buying anything made by Apple.

I don't really know why I keep coming to this site... all they talk about on MACrumors.com is iPhone and iWatch and iSpeaker, (an iPhone without the phone part, which is HILARIOUS that people will be dumb enough to buy THAT!) and other 'rumors,' none of which have anything to DO with a MAC. I may actually stop coming here, but know this--without a Mac, (which for me will always be the best and most important part of the Apple line-up,) there's not THAT much reason to buy all the other Apple iStuff, and I think iWon't buy any more iApple iThings, because I'm through wasting myMoney.

20. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Right. When it's working, it's "Apple's brilliant design". If it fails, it's a "Samsung defect".

Come on, that's Apple Fanboy 101.

21. 6803390 Suspended

Courage.

22. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Sorry to hear that this issue is occuring. As bad as it is now, the issue can actually be worse... If these screen fail a year or two from now. If Apple's track record is any indication, customers who experience this issue beyond the warranty or AppleCare time period will end up having to battle with Apple for resolution.... Or threaten a class-action lawsuit that will result in a repair "program"where they will have to do battle again to prove to Apple that their device qualifies.

Hopefully this will be addressed properly.

23. iamtheonlyone4ever Suspended

iamtheonlyone4ever

please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't samsung who created the screen for iPhone X, I don't know about iPhone 8 but anyway, I knew this will happen , apple should have never made a deal with samsung, after the exploding batteries who can trust a company like that to make hardware for you, apple should it have made their own screen, or at least try and wait a little longer until they have it ready but they rush because the competition is strong but look now they are having all and of problems with those screens.

24. noles1983 macrumors regular

And this is why I let the lemmings be the beta testers.

25. smorrissey macrumors 65816