Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
They are also overpriced and are definitely not suited to everyone’s ears..

Exactly. So frustrating about Apple. I mean, they've always made decisions for the customer and limited the offerings, but up until a certain point in time, they really seemed to hit the mark by making more pleasing/good decisions than controversial/bad decisions. Now since 2013 most decisions seem to be so focused on trying to do the most with the very least (except for "the very least" means having to buy and carry around more numerous and more expensive dongles/extras/attachments). If we're stuck with Apple being a minimalist design contest company while Timmy and J-Ive are still around, I sure hope someone there would take their head out of their rear and at least start offering more "old school" "basic" devices with archaic horrors like pressable home buttons, function keys, magsafe ports, headphone jacks, etc.

Reactions: H818H

rehlers

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Phoenix, AZ - USA
I used to think why would anyone want this small old phone. Then I played with one in an Apple store the other week. Wow, so light and easy to carry around.

Plus you can pick these up for $150 or so as a PRE-PAID plan phone. Great throw away, since that's about what apple phones are worth after 1 or 2 years.

I got an AT&T PRE-PAID iPhone SE for $150 and I'm sending my iPhone 6s Plus in for $220 apple gift card.

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Did you ever try to go shopping on a Porsche 911? Or on holidays? It's fun to drive but you can't fit anything inside.
A lot of people want a smartphone to be portable. Not something that looks and feels like carrying an iPad inside your pocket. I still have to laugh whenever I see people running with gigantic smartphones strapped to their arms.

I mean OMG that iPhone X is huge at almost an inch larger than the current SE. LOL GIGANTIC!!!!

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
The SE is at a cross roads, its a small inexpensive phone that lacked the premium features. Does apple increase the size, features (and price)? Do they keep the form factor, and just make it faster?

Why "lacked the premium features" and not "prioritized certain highly-desired user-convenience features?"

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
They are also overpriced and are definitely not suited to everyone’s ears..

Agreed! AirPods should have been $99 MAX! I don't understand why people get on with the current price! Also, it's been 1.5 years they're out, right? Isn't a price markdown overdue??

Reactions: apolloa

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If true what is the logic behind increasing the screen size just 0.2” ?

Changing the casing size, likely makes refinements with the display/and Minor internal improvements and would lead Apple to delete the 3.5 Jack if they didn’t retain the current SE casing.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Agreed! AirPods should have been $99 MAX! I don't understand why people get on with the current price! Also, it's been 1.5 years they're out, right? Isn't a price markdown overdue??

Yeap, I will say they are a really cool design and pack a lot of tech, but they are designed to be utterly disposable and the design will simply not fit everyone’s ears.

I haven’t listened to them though so they could be the best sounding in ear headphones you can buy.. I wouldn’t buy them but equally I wouldn’t say no if I was gifted them, if they fit my ears haha.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Apple doesn’t typically reduce prices on accessories unless it’s replaced by a new product. The Airpods and Apple Watch bands are prime examples of this. When they discontinue the first Gen Airpods, they will be succeeded by a new version likely starting at the same price.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
"However, it's certainly possible Apple could trim down the bezels of the new iPhone SE slightly."

Green area overlay corresponds to 4.2 inches, I look forward to it! :)
View attachment 751875
It could be a possibility since with the (first) SE they used the exact same front panel (screen, Touch ID, front camera etc.) while making tweaks to the rear casing. I can see them updating the front panel this time while not making any changes to the rear casing other than attaching a new motherboard to it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Exactly. So frustrating about Apple. I mean, they've always made decisions for the customer and limited the offerings, but up until a certain point in time, they really seemed to hit the mark by making more pleasing/good decisions than controversial/bad decisions. Now since 2013 most decisions seem to be so focused on trying to do the most with the very least (except for "the very least" means having to buy and carry around more numerous and more expensive dongles/extras/attachments). If we're stuck with Apple being a minimalist design contest company while Timmy and J-Ive are still around, I sure hope someone there would take their head out of their rear and at least start offering more "old school" "basic" devices with archaic horrors like pressable home buttons, function keys, magsafe ports, headphone jacks, etc.

Yeah MagSafe being stopped was a strange choice? And why did hey make the escape key a soft key in the new MB Pro touch strip screen?? Seems pointless and annoying? But maybe you can change it to be permanently visible in the settings?
I played with the MB Pro at the weekend and the keyboard leaves a lot to be desired.. the iMac Pro looks damn cool though...

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Was holding a SE last night and finally realized how much I miss the smaller form factor. How easy it is to grip without a case. How light it is. How I don't really need more than what it offers.

I might just ditch my X for the next SE iteration. Maybe...

Reactions: StoneyG

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I would be very interested in an SE2. I would like to see it have the same size, just upgraded internals. I would probably buy instantly. I like my SE very much. The size, for me is ideal. (I don't care about the headphone jack, in or out, doesn't matter a bit, to me)

Last edited:

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I'm really excited about this! I want to switch to iOS for my next phone and this device would be perfect.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The SE is at a cross roads, its a small inexpensive phone that lacked the premium features. Does apple increase the size, features (and price)? Do they keep the form factor, and just make it faster?

The price point was an attractive feature for the SE, Which if Apple retains a similar price tag, then it would also indicate they are not drastically changing the SE by adding extra technology the SE doesn’t need by most who want the smaller form factor over everything else . The SE can be easily updated with display improvements, Processor, water resistance without over stepping the pricing boundary. 3D Touch would be nice, but undoubtedly would increase the price, Which I can live without if it means it retains a similar price tag as the current SE.

Reactions: sracer

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
When they discontinue the first Gen Airpods, they will be succeeded by a new version likely starting at the same price.

I seriously doubt that. We see that they're increasing the prices of novel phone iterations (even talking about the 8 here...)
They'll probably release the wireless charging case as a customisable option with an added $20.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Not something that looks and feels like carrying an iPad inside your pocket.

lmao - always makes me think of Tim with his new X "in his pocket"

tim-cook-iphone-x.png

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
I had the money for an iPhone X. I bought an iPhone SE. Why? It fits in my damn hand like a phone SHOULD. That and it had a headphone jack, although it's of less concern than the overall size. If they bloat the iPhone SE's physical size, the use case for this phone will cease to exist. It might even be the last straw after all these iOS 11 bugs and I might jump ship to Android (I've been an Apple fanboy over a decade too). I guess we'll see what Apple decides to do.

Reactions: StoneyG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.