Sketchy Video Shows Possible iPhone SE 2 With Glass Back and Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

... or use the included adapter

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

3. Act3 macrumors 68000

Yet the headphone jack remains on the latest iPad.

4. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

That looks FIRE! Basically it takes the best of 5 and brings back the best design of all time, 4 design. If it is priced at $350, I might have to buy one. Not sure if the X or that new SE phone would end up being my work phone. I'd love to pocket only the smaller form factor on the weekends. But probably can't give up the better camera in X.

5. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

6. Sonic macrumors regular

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And parking spaces are free in the South while they go for $15k-$30k in Boston, Philly, or NYC. Your point?

EDIT: Also, you mean the iPad designed specifically with education in mind—a field that’s NOTORIOUSLY slow to adapt new technology?

8. sirwoodland macrumors member

Give me the edge-to-edge iphone X screen in an iphone se body and I (and my little sausage hands) will scream with joy.

9. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

65% of marriages end in divorce. We need to try harder.

10. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Keep the headphone jack, and problem solved. That was the original argument.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Actually, no it wasn’t.

12. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Sorry, but if you want a wire connection, the lightning port is better than the audio jack. And most people, once they get a good bluetooth headset, no longer want a wired connect.

13. H818H macrumors member

it will have a jack. apple know they can force expensive disposable AirPods on wealthy populations with large disposable incomes 1st, but people in less prosperous parts of the world won't stand for that **** and will vote with their wallets.

While the se is the 'budget' iPhone, it'll have a jack.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    better how?
    and they work fine with my Mac do they?

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm not sure why so many people are so insistent the headphone jack will be removed.

1) This would require additional redesign/manufacturing processes
    2) As the size and internal layout likely isn't changing there is likely little to nothing to be gained by freeing up that area.
    3) Since this isn't top of the line device, Apple doesn't feel the need to push the envelope
    4) One key demographic for the SE is the low cost and less developed demo. An area where keeping the headphone jack might make sense. Sorta like how Apple continued selling 1 variant of macbook with an optical drive for so many years.

All that being said, I could still see Apple removing it, but due to the above reasons I'd put it much closer to 50/50.

15. H818H macrumors member

you don't understand how universal standards work.
    Great, can I use these with my iMac and laptop?
    That'll get lost or break in 5 mins. It's a deliberately designed bad user experience to nudge people further towards buying AirPods.

16. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

They'll probably keep the jack and not make it water resistant.
    This phone appeals to the crowd that doesnt want to spend hundreds of dollars on headphones.
    If it has the jack, it'll be my next phone when my iPhone 7 goes caput. Although with a new battery replacement at $29 later this fall, I might even be able to wait for the SE 3. I'm done with the "latest and greatest" phone thing. It's JUST a phone! I dont game on it, I cant stand texting (big thumbs), the only thing I use it for is occasional browsing and listening to music while commuting. Any phone released in the last 3-5 years is perfectly capable of doing all of that, as long as the battery is fresh.

17. H818H macrumors member

Why don't you want me to have a choice? I don't want to stop you listening via bluetooth

I don't want headphones that die. I don't want headphones where the battery is unusable in ~2 years and they go in the bin.

I want one set of headphones that works across all my devices - laptops, iMac - and I want my phone to be able to plug into my car. I also want my phone to support the universal audio standard that it always has, and which is yet to be surpassed.

I don't want a proprietary connector. I don't want a dongle which will get lost.

Why don't you want me to have a choice? I don't want to stop you listening via bluetooth

18. csurfr macrumors 68020

Ummm, yes?

19. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Keeping the headphone jack after dropping it a year and a half ago... now that's courage!
    I agree with the other posters that it looks fake.

20. H818H macrumors member

Go on, tell me how I can use the provided lightning headphones with my iMac, I dare you

21. ktecac macrumors regular

ktecac

I'm still using an iPhone SE - does anyone know if based on the A10 chip etc if new one is assumed it will work with Airpods?
    Also will it retain water resistent characteristics of iPhone 7 or 8, etc

I used to be against removal of 3.5mm but have come around - no issue with it anymore and airpods are apparently awesome.

I think this one is a fake (can't see them keeping headphone jack) but the other rumor seemed slightly more substantial. Just want a waterproof, airpod friendly iPhone and if I can get it in the smaller form factor i'll be pretty PUMPED.

22. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

I’ve seen this phrase a few times recently. I’ve never heard it before. I’ve always said, “jump the gun”.

23. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Google Happy Days and the Fonz jumping a shark

It has a very different meaning than jumping the gun.

24. H818H macrumors member

AirPods are awesome, as long as you don't mind the idea that when you buy AirPods, you are subscribing to listening.

Much like a subscription, they have a pretty fixed life-span of around ~2-3years until the battery packs in.

At which point you have to decide - do I resubscribe to the listening experience I've become accustomed to (for another $169 or whatever it is).

I don't want to subscribe to listening. My 3.5mm jack works fine. The cable never bothered me. A new set of apple earphones costs £8. I could buy dozens of pairs for the price of AirPods.

25. zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

I own an iPhone SE for the small size, not the cost. I own AirPods but I usually only use them at work cause I also own some Shure in-ear monitors.

Losing the headphone jack is still something I don't want to deal with even though I know I can use the included adapter. Why? Because from personal experience of also owning an 8 & a X two separate times (three no-jack iPhones) I've lost the converter all three times within a 2 week window. The converter is not able to stay on the headphones the entire time because I use my headphones with multiple devices (many of which don't have lighting jacks).

Also, I cycle as my main mode of transportation. To & from work alone is 20miles but I often ride other places before/after work. Tracking my biking uses the battery excessively so I usually have a battery pack for charging my iPhone. I can't charge and listen to music with my wired headphones without another losable adapter (no good).

I couldn't care less about water resistance. I am almost never in a situation where I wanted it & I've had water damage on zero of the iPhones I've owned [since iPhone 3G].

If iPhone SE 2 has a headphone jack, I'll be getting it day 1. I don't care if it's an iPhone 8 with 4" screen, exact form factor of SE with updated internals, or something totally different. I'd even tolerate iOS 11 for the updated cameras & speed.

If there's no headphone jack then I'm at least waiting until iOS 12 and hopefully some of the white space and terribly large text is removed from the first party apps. I will not be buying a new phone with subjectively worse hardware and software on it than I have in my current iPhone SE (iOS 10.3.3).