Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
The same thing happens on mine. Scrolling and Mail was smooth on 4.0.2.

4.1 pretty much sucks the fun out of the iPhone 4. I used to feel like I had a super computer in my pocket, but with all the stuttering now, it feels like old tech trying to run new software.

Wow...if that tiny difference in animation is your biggest problem in life right now, I envy you. At the same time, I feel something akin to pity. It's just a phone. 4.1 isn't going to get fixed magically, either get used to it, or wait until 4.2 and hope it gets worked out then.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Wow...if that tiny difference in animation is your biggest problem in life right now, I envy you. At the same time, I feel something akin to pity. It's just a phone. 4.1 isn't going to get fixed magically, either get used to it, or wait until 4.2 and hope it gets worked out then.

Wow, I never said it was my biggest problem. It just sucks that the iPhone isn't working the way it used to.

They broke bluetooth with 4.0 and then 4.1 promised to fix it so I updated and got NO bluetooth fix (for me) and laggy animations. Hardly seems like an upgrade to me.

Also, I couldn't care less about Game Center or HDR.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Amino Man said:

Wow, I never said it was my biggest problem. It just sucks that the iPhone isn't working the way it used to.

They broke bluetooth with 4.0 and then 4.1 promised to fix it so I updated and got NO bluetooth fix (for me) and laggy animations. Hardly seems like an upgrade to me.

Also, I couldn't care less about Game Center or HDR.

So downgrade?

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
You're right, you're not rude at all...:rolleyes:

I guarantee I can reproduce this on any iPhone 4 running 4.1.

People either aren't perceptive enough to see it or they're straight up lying to me.

So yeah, I guess I'm rude.

Also, to the other user that told me to downgrade: I didn't save my SHSH blob unfortunately. My own fault.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I fixed the issue!!!

I jailbroke my iPhone 4 and disabled multitasking. Now I don't have a problem with the launch animations.

I still have an issue with Safari sometimes, but when I'm done using Safari, I just close all my tabs to make sure it's quit.

I first tried disabling HDR and it didn't help. I guess I have some more work to do to figure out what is causing this issue.

I'll give you all status updates if I find out anything else. However, disabling multitasking makes the iPhone run much better.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
heres mine

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    785.2 KB · Views: 61

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I would also like to note that with multitasking disabled, when I hit the home button, it goes back to the springboard instantly! With multitasking enabled, hitting home has a short delay before it goes back to the springboard.

It kind of catches you by surprise when you disable multitasking for the first time because of how fast it returns to the homescreen.

Another cool thing about disabling multitasking is that I now have the ability to change what double-click does in the hole button. Opening iPhone favorites, or search, or camera. Also, the regular iPod controls show up now (which I preferred anyway)

I know that a lot of people won't want to disable multitasking because they want streaming audio and stuff, but I don't really do any of that stuff. The stuff I do doesn't require running anything in the background.

If you're jailbroken, download an app called zToggle and try your iPhone out without multitasking. See if you like it.

Too bad I still get the stuttering with safari sometimes and mail.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
I'd just like to say that my 3GS 32GB, running 4.0.2 is also suffering from laggy animations and overall slowness.

I'm really hoping 4.2 will fix these problems.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I guarantee I can reproduce this on any iPhone 4 running 4.1.

People either aren't perceptive enough to see it or they're straight up lying to me.

So yeah, I guess I'm rude.

Also, to the other user that told me to downgrade: I didn't save my SHSH blob unfortunately. My own fault.
I think you suffer from OCD and partial insanity. I guarantee I can reproduce my finding on any post you make.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I think you suffer from OCD and partial insanity. I guarantee I can reproduce my finding on any post you make.

Yeah, I guess I have OCD. You caught me. Is it so wrong for me to want my iPhone to act the way it did before the update?

I know nothing lasts forever, but this phone just came out 4 months ago, it shouldn't be showing it's age yet.

I don't care if it doesn't bother you at all, but you could at least acknowledge that the issue exists.

Every iPhone 4 running 4.1 I've seen so far suffers from this problem (even the iPhone in Apple's newest commercial.)

Also, the 4th gen iPod touch also does it.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Well, I told you before: I don't have your issue. I know your OCD will tell you different but you should really worry about other stuff. I mean, I wouldn't even open a topic about something like this. I also think the iphone 4 isnt showing any age already: that would be retarded to asume. Anyway, to each their own.

I will come back to this topic from time to time, to check up on you. Wishing you twice the stuff you wish me. Good luck!

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Well, I told you before: I don't have your issue. I know your OCD will tell you different but you should really worry about other stuff. I mean, I wouldn't even open a topic about something like this. I also think the iphone 4 isnt showing any age already: that would be retarded to asume. Anyway, to each their own.

I will come back to this topic from time to time, to check up on you. Wishing you twice the stuff you wish me. Good luck!

You do have the issue. Show me a video proving otherwise. Until you have evidence, I won't believe you.

Have you seen Apple's commercial (the new one about the retina display)?

There's the perfect evidence of the bug, but nobody has shown me proof of not having the bug.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
You do have the issue. Show me a video proving otherwise. Until you have evidence, I won't believe you.

Have you seen Apple's commercial (the new one about the retina display)?

There's the perfect evidence of the bug, but nobody has shown me proof of not having the bug.
I told you I don't have OCD so I won't be bothered by making a video and waste time on this. I think it's your OCD that doesn't believe you: anyone sane would believe someone when he told him he didn't have this trivial and arbitrary problem.

ohaooa

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
I told you I don't have OCD so I won't be bothered by making a video and waste time on this. I think it's your OCD that doesn't believe you: anyone sane would believe someone when he told him he didn't have this trivial and arbitrary problem.

Are you retarded? You really do sound insane. Man up fanboy and admit that you have the same issue and that it bothers you so much that you've attained suicidal tendencies. It haunts you, every twitch and every stutter murders your mind. lol noob.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yes, the Safari loading skips if you closed it while in landscape mode. Confirmed on both my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4 running 4.1.

But so what? It's obvious what's happening. The phone can't do the same animation because it's "stuck" in landscape mode which is causing the slight hiccup.

SO WHAT?!

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Yes, the Safari loading skips if you closed it while in landscape mode. Confirmed on both my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4 running 4.1.

But so what? It's obvious what's happening. The phone can't do the same animation because it's "stuck" in landscape mode which is causing the slight hiccup.

SO WHAT?!

It's not "stuck" in landscape mode. Also, after you get Safari to start stuttering like that on launch, it will launch like that from then on (no matter if you're in landscape mode, or rotation-locked.

So what?!

It didn't happen in 4.0.2. Did 4.1 really add anything that is so processor intensive that the iPhone behaves this way? Not really. That's why I think it's just a bug, but I don't know what it is exactly that is causing it.

I'm still trying to figure out what the other people are doing that "don't have an issue".

If I find out how their iPhone is different than mine, perhaps I can cure the problem, but I've tried every restore method possible and turned off almost every service (even tried airplane mode) and nothing makes it run like 4.0 did.

Turning off Multitasking helped my Camera.app and Photos.app to stop stuttering, but unfortunately Safari runs in the background (even with Multitasking disabled).

So you notice the issue. That's great! It doesn't have to "bother you" for the issue to exist. That's all I'm asking for. Just a confirmation that the issue is real and it's not just me.

To the people who say that their iPhone is perfect. It may be perfect to you, but to me, it still skips.

Some people are perfectly happy watching SD content stretched across their widescreen HDTVs instead of preserving the correct aspect ratio, but I like to watch my TV in the same format the footage was designed for. Does it mean that most people won't be bothered by a stretched out image? No. Does it mean that it's an issue that doesn't exist? No. That's basically what's going on here.

Just because some people don't care about my issue, doesn't mean the issue isn't there.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010

I figured.

Back on 4.0.2, I noticed almost no line at all. It was very low and didn't really spike up like that.

What the heck could be causing this? A bug in the BlueTooth maybe? I noticed that the BlueTooth service is always running (even when BlueTooth is off).

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I figured.

Back on 4.0.2, I noticed almost no line at all. It was very low and didn't really spike up like that.

What the heck could be causing this? A bug in the BlueTooth maybe? I noticed that the BlueTooth service is always running (even when BlueTooth is off).
i see the bluetooth thing u r saying, mine if off and it is still under processes. also the push for my mail requires a lot even though the mail app is closed. i guess we will either wait for 4.2 or see if a dev can run this app on beta 3 and see what is says. probably wait bc we dont know what could be wrong with the beta.
but i was thinking about the A4 and how supposedly it can run between 800 mhz and 1 ghz depending on the power needed. would it be cool for a dual core A4 that can run at 1.5 ghz but the second core wont be used unless called upon for a lot of power therefore keeping the same battery life as in the ip4. i was thinking this for iphone 6

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's not "stuck" in landscape mode. Also, after you get Safari to start stuttering like that on launch, it will launch like that from then on (no matter if you're in landscape mode, or rotation-locked.

It didn't happen in 4.0.2. Did 4.1 really add anything that is so processor intensive that the iPhone behaves this way? Not really. That's why I think it's just a bug, but I don't know what it is exactly that is causing it.

I'm still trying to figure out what the other people are doing that "don't have an issue".

If I find out how their iPhone is different than mine, perhaps I can cure the problem, but I've tried every restore method possible and turned off almost every service (even tried airplane mode) and nothing makes it run like 4.0 did.

Turning off Multitasking helped my Camera.app and Photos.app to stop stuttering, but unfortunately Safari runs in the background (even with Multitasking disabled).

So you notice the issue. That's great! It doesn't have to "bother you" for the issue to exist. That's all I'm asking for. Just a confirmation that the issue is real and it's not just me.

To the people who say that their iPhone is perfect. It may be perfect to you, but to me, it still skips.

Some people are perfectly happy watching SD content stretched across their widescreen HDTVs instead of preserving the correct aspect ratio, but I like to watch my TV in the same format the footage was designed for. Does it mean that most people won't be bothered by a stretched out image? No. Does it mean that it's an issue that doesn't exist? No. That's basically what's going on here.

Just because some people don't care about my issue, doesn't mean the issue isn't there.

That's madness. Aside from this weirdness, it really doesn't matter or affect the ACTUAL usage of using Safari etc. And your SD stretched is a very, very faulty analogy, and not relevant.

I mean heck, something worthwhile to kvetch about would be how Apple claims that the iPhone 4 will free up memory if it needs to, automatically. I can say for a fact that this doesn't happen. I can always tell when I'm running low on memory because scrolling down Safari pages e.g. Engadget, will result in a LOT more chequerboard patterns than after I close some apps running.

Now THAT is something that actually affects something you're doing.

But hey, it bothers me when you have 12 apps in a folder near the bottom of the screen and opening the folder is "jerkier" than when it's at the top of the screen. So I DO understand OCD.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
That's madness. Aside from this weirdness, it really doesn't matter or affect the ACTUAL usage of using Safari etc. And your SD stretched is a very, very faulty analogy, and not relevant.

I mean heck, something worthwhile to kvetch about would be how Apple claims that the iPhone 4 will free up memory if it needs to, automatically. I can say for a fact that this doesn't happen. I can always tell when I'm running low on memory because scrolling down Safari pages e.g. Engadget, will result in a LOT more chequerboard patterns than after I close some apps running.

Now THAT is something that actually affects something you're doing.

But hey, it bothers me when you have 12 apps in a folder near the bottom of the screen and opening the folder is "jerkier" than when it's at the top of the screen. So I DO understand OCD.

Like you said, it doesn't affect the way Safari is used. It just doesn't look as smooth. Especially since 4.0.2 never had this stupid problem.

I hate when a new update comes out that promises to fix things (BlueTooth) and it doesn't and then on TOP of THAT, the phone now has jerky animations here and there. It's only the first real update to the iPhone 4 (besides the minor security fixes and bug fixes in 4.0.1 and 4.0.2).

Here's to hoping that 4.2 brings us back to where we were before 4.1.

I gotta say though, I do enjoy using my iPhone 4 a little more without multitasking. It performs rather well like this. I can use Camera.app again and iPhotos.app again without any visual glitches.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I fixed the issue!!!

I jailbroke my iPhone 4 and disabled multitasking. Now I don't have a problem with the launch animations.

I still have an issue with Safari sometimes, but when I'm done using Safari, I just close all my tabs to make sure it's quit.

I first tried disabling HDR and it didn't help. I guess I have some more work to do to figure out what is causing this issue.

I'll give you all status updates if I find out anything else. However, disabling multitasking makes the iPhone run much better.

Now I can sleep better knowing you got this sorted. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.