Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
Got a quick question.

Probably no one will be able to answer it until it's actually released, but is there anything about the $29 version of SL that will prevent it from being installed on multiple macs, instead of getting the $49 family pack, other than the honor system? :D

Apple always makes it a point, when they can, to make fun of Microsoft's product activation schemes, so my guess is that the discs are identical. Has anyone ever confirmed if this is the case with the single user and family packs of iLife or iWork? Or the family pack of Leopard?

You technically could do it... but why not just pay the extra $20 and have a supported legal copy?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Could happen. Friday. Could... anyone watching deliveries at Apple retail stores?

I highly doubt that you could spy on the deliveries and figure it out. the boxes are small and will probably be in unmarked larger boxes, such that you would have no idea if it was Snow leopard, or just more copies of Final Cut etc.

Also i doubt they would just release this without some fan fare. we will know the date.

Amazon sells iLife09 for $55.49, iWorks09 for $50.49, and Snow Leopard for $29. Total is $134.98. Like Apple, they also sell the Box Set for $169.

I can actually save $34 + the sales tax by buying the packages individually from Amazon.com

if you have leopard yes. but if you don't, how much would it cost you to buy it and then buy the rest.
it might be a few dollars more.

and we don't know yet what the process will be like in validating that you have leopard installed in order to use that $29 box. so yes you might have to have leopard pre-installed. heck it might turn out that the whole Erase and Install is only on the box set discs.

ID_Field_Blank

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
London, UK
I just checked my pre-order status on the UK Apple Store and noticed this:

Not yet shipped
Estimated Shipping: September
MAC OS X10.6 SNOWLEOPARD UTD FULLFIL-ZML
MC204ZM/A

Cancelled - Replaced with new product
MAC OS X 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD FULLFIL-INT
MC204Z/A

How did you preorder it on the UK store? via the up-to-date program? I haven't even recieved the notification from them yet!

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I highly doubt that you could spy on the deliveries and figure it out. the boxes are small and will probably be in unmarked larger boxes, such that you would have no idea if it was Snow leopard, or just more copies of Final Cut etc.

Also i doubt they would just release this without some fan fare. we will know the date.

Agreed with regard to the boxes. But what kind of fanfare are you expecting? They'll put it on the website and send out an email to their customers. What more? Hold it until the iPod event?

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
I'm surprised Apple still haven't given an official release date for SL. I wonder if they'll really spring it on us as a surprise like some people are predicting. Leave it to Apple to do things differently!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Amazon sells iLife09 for $55.49, iWorks09 for $50.49, and Snow Leopard for $29. Total is $134.98. Like Apple, they also sell the Box Set for $169. I can actually save $34 + the sales tax by buying the packages individually from Amazon.com

Max Box Set is for people running TIGER, so one [Tiger customer] should buy Leopard ($129) and Snow Leopard ($29) which is $158 already. So that leaves only $11 for iLife+iWork which is a great deal if you ask me.

If you already have Leopard, you will not need the Box, will you?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
It's getting CLOOOOOOOOSE!

I'm excited... even if it's just a small upgrade.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I just checked my pre-order status on the UK Apple Store and noticed this:

Not yet shipped
Estimated Shipping: September
MAC OS X10.6 SNOWLEOPARD UTD FULLFIL-ZML
MC204ZM/A

Cancelled - Replaced with new product
MAC OS X 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD FULLFIL-INT
MC204Z/A

How have you already ordered it in the UK? I qualify for the free upgrade (Just pay P&P), can I do it?

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
they usually announce a date, and have a countdown on their site. i hope they do this soon

I don't remember ever seeing any type of countdown on their site for releases. They did have a count *up* once for the billionth music sale or something like that, but that's it.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Max Box Set is for people running TIGER, so one [Tiger customer] should buy Leopard ($129) and Snow Leopard ($29) which is $158 already. So that leaves only $11 for iLife+iWork which is a great deal if you ask me....
No, Tiger users can install Snow Leopard for $129 – if they don't want the box – Bertrand Serlet said so during the keynotes.

MACWhite

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
kinda off / on topic but what they should do for the intro movie is show a Snow leopard ( in first person view) running along a mountain path and it comes up on all the word meaning welcome in different languages as little puddles of water. Then camera pans down the Snow Leopard's body and shows the Mac "X" logo as a spot on its body.

just a thought

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Can you pre-order on Amazon in the UK? They're doing it here.

I'm wondering how quick the software will ship from Amazon. I hope they do it like the launch day movies you pre-order and it shows up that day or the day before.

Better earlier than later.

I just hope it's as perfect as possible when it ships. Knowing how many and how recently the different builds have shown up here I'm honestly a little worried it's not as perfect as it could be. Anyone else agree with me or am I just paranoid?

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Hopefully SL is released soon. My HDD is almost full. I'm waiting for SL to install a 500GB HDD so I don't have to do it twice.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Interesting, I was thinking it was a good deal but I guess not.

Amazon sells iLife09 for $55.49, iWorks09 for $50.49, and Snow Leopard for $29. Total is $134.98. Like Apple, they also sell the Box Set for $169.

I can actually save $34 + the sales tax by buying the packages individually from Amazon.com

We can always hope that it is nothing more than a place holder price and that we will see discounts otherwise. I kinda want to upgrade iLife but I'm not a heavy user. I Works would kinda be gravy on top as I use OpenOffice otherwise.

Come to think of it, if I dump OpenOffice I might reclaim even more disk space. So I have to ask does anybody have an idea as to installed space of iWorks? My demands for "Office" type functionality is limited so features aren't a problem, disk Space always is though.

Dave

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Just pre-ordered my copy direct from Apple (Via Up-To-Date program) :)

Pity though, I signed up originally with my me.com email, which I don't have anymore, and it won't let you change it. Gonna have to call up :apple: tommorow for an argument :)

If anyone else who purchased it via the UK APPLE ONLINE STORE wants to pre-order their copy. It's really simple. Just go to : http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?&partNumber=MC204Z/A&authenticate=entitle Sign in, and pay. I don't know if it does check whether you bought a mac or not, it just adds the Snow Leopard to your basket. ;)

Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-To-Date
Unit cost reflects standard shipping and handling. Free shipping.
Part Number: MC204Z/A
1 £6.91 £6.91

Costed £7.95 inc VAT.

Lets hope its soon! xD

EDIT : Just noticed, it says "Purchase a mac after bla bla bla, just pay shipping and handling"

SubTotal: £6.91
VAT: £1.04
Shipping Charge: £0.00
Total: £7.95

Lol... LIES xD

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i thought Apple released the Box Set to increase Leopard sales before Snow Leopard? because of the smaller timeframe between OS upgrades compared to Tiger and Leopard.

but wow! theyre going to release a Snow Leopard Box Set now? i guess because Snow Leopard is so cheap, it doesnt really look that much more expensive for iLife '09 or… iLife '10 (iLife 10?)?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
We can always hope that it is nothing more than a place holder price and that we will see discounts otherwise. I kinda want to upgrade iLife but I'm not a heavy user. I Works would kinda be gravy on top as I use OpenOffice otherwise.

Come to think of it, if I dump OpenOffice I might reclaim even more disk space. So I have to ask does anybody have an idea as to installed space of iWorks? My demands for "Office" type functionality is limited so features aren't a problem, disk Space always is though.

Dave
Well for iWork '08 all three apps together are 687 MB. Don't know if and how much space it takes elsewhere.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I wiped my HD completely and installed Snow Leopard.

So no, you don't have to install Leopard first.

It's amazing people give out so much misinformation. You have the developer build. It's not gonna be an upgrade disc so of course you can install it without an existing install. Apple specifically says that the $29 version is for Leopard users, what do you think that means?
Do they state that the developer build is for Leopard users? NO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.