Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

te9055

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Just had a thought. All this news with people waving their arms in the air "ITS COMING NOW ITS COMING NOW BLABLABLABLA"....

Apple still needs to release 10.5.9 right? So... Not yet? :p

What apple are you talking about

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
They usually give it a few updates. Wasn't Tiger still at 10.4.9 when Leopard came out? Now it's up to 10.4.11, and pretty much only gets security updates (but still gets those)

Nope, 10.4.11 was out before Leopard. There were rumours that there might be a 10.4.12 after Leopard because a lot of pro apps weren't compatible with Leopard for some time, and it looked like it might be needed for some big Tiger users. But it never appeared. It's possible they were planning to do it, but then dropped it when it didn't seem necessary.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Nope, 10.4.11 was out before Leopard. There were rumours that there might be a 10.4.12 after Leopard because a lot of pro apps weren't compatible with Leopard for some time, and it looked like it might be needed for some big Tiger users. But it never appeared. It's possible they were planning to do it, but then dropped it when it didn't seem necessary.

Leopard was released in October, 10.4.11 was released in November.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
No, the drop-in-dvd they stick in the box isn't machine specific.

I bought a new Mac mini on the day Leopard came out and the only limitation with the disc was the pre-install check for Tiger.

Right. I got the disc types screwed up. I had restore discs in my mind. The up to date discs are generic.

tmoore44

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
Snow Leopard / iLife bundle

This sucks for those that don't use any of the iWorks or iLife apps. I'm still running Tiger and CS3 suite. I don't need any of these apps. All I want is Snow Leopard family pack w/o the bundle. Guess I'm buying the single user and installing on my macbook and mac pro.

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Leopard was released in October, 10.4.11 was released in November.

Okay, my bad, then, I thought there was going to be a *second* release post-Leopard. :)

Clearly, though, the development must have been finished around when Leopard was being shipped.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Sticking with leopard?

i think SL is good it is a big improvement but when i cant run safari 4 and quicktime x on my mba without the whole thing coming to a halt so i find myself using firefox and vlc, which is kind of annoying because even with quicktime x i see myself installing perian before i give up with it... hope A432 isn't the golden/gold master :(

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
This sucks for those that don't use any of the iWorks or iLife apps. I don't need any of these apps. All I want is Snow Leopard family pack w/o the bundle. Guess I'm buying the single user and installing on my macbook and mac pro.
What are you talking about? The upgrade is $29 and a five pack is only $49 – assuming that you have Leopard installed.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
That's a very good point. I was assuming a 10.5 -> 10.6 upgrade path.

I don't think this will come up for me, cuz my parents won't care, but I have Leopard and they have Tiger. It's too bad there's not some kinda combo-family pack, cuz to upgrade us both I'd have to just get the full family pack or buy them separately.

Actually, now that I think about it, if we got a box set and a Leopard upgrade, would it be against the EULA to use iLife and iWork '09 on the Leopard upgraded computer, rather than with the Tiger upgraded one that the full retail SL install is being used on?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
A bit more than I expected!

Well for iWork '08 all three apps together are 687 MB. Don't know if and how much space it takes elsewhere.

That is actually a surprise and I believe exceeds the size of NeoOffice.app which is about 425MB. Of course that is for the app file I'm not sure what other space NeoOffice uses. I don't think OpenOffice is dramatically different in this regard.

Dave

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
It's amazing people give out so much misinformation. You have the developer build. It's not gonna be an upgrade disc so of course you can install it without an existing install. Apple specifically says that the $29 version is for Leopard users, what do you think that means?
Do they state that the developer build is for Leopard users? NO.

Take it easy brother! We're all friends here. All the rhetorical questions are hurtful!

The developer pre-seed GM version has been the same as the retail version since 10.0 as far as I know...

Apple specifically says that the family pack is for multiple computers but it doesn't stop anyone from installing a normal version on multiple computers.

There has never been more than one (consumer) retail version of OS X (the family pack disc is exactly the same as the non-family). So if what you're insinuating is true, this would be a first for Apple.

I don't think they expect people who want to reinstall Snow Leopard to go through Leopard and then Snow Leopard. Apple's usually cool like that.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Take it easy brother! We're all friends here. All the rhetorical questions are hurtful!

The developer pre-seed GM version has been the same as the retail version since 10.0 as far as I know...

Apple specifically says that the family pack is for multiple computers but it doesn't stop anyone from installing a normal version on multiple computers.

There has never been more than one (consumer) retail version of OS X (the family pack disc is exactly the same as the non-family). So if what you're insinuating is true, this would be a first for Apple.

I don't think they expect people who want to reinstall Snow Leopard to go through Leopard and then Snow Leopard. Apple's usually cool like that.

Sorry, it wasn't exactly a knock against you only, it's just that many of the people with the developer build are telling forum members that the $29 SL DVD will install without a existing installation of Leopard. Apple states that on their website that it is required but some people here are either in denial or they think Apple is reading the posts on MR and will make a last minute change to the $29 so no existing Leopard install will be required.

You're right, this is the first time Apple has offered Mac OS X for $29, however, although I have no proof of this, I'm 99% certain that it's the same disc as the drop-in or the up-to-date disc which requires a existing install of Leopard before you can proceed.
Apple is not known to be a company that sells low price products, so there will be a catch.

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
Guys,

Help me out here... please...

I'm still fuzzy about the pricing.

I mean this is an update I get it. But I don't own a Leopard 10.5 on my old MacMini, so for that machine, HOW MUCH will Snow Leopard cost me?

I know the updates for new machines is 10 bucks, but what is the FULL price of the 10.6????

So anyone with Leopard gets it for 30 bucks right? So for those who don't? How much?

I have Leopard on my MacBook Pro but not the mini and the installer only works on the MacBook Pro.

O_O

Please clear this up for me as there's a lot of confusion about this.

If it's really 30 bucks then it's wonderful, if it's something that needs proof then how do I prove I have it or don't have Leopard to begin with?

Yeah I'm very confused.

:(
:confused:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
There is no confusion. As Apple have stated, if you are running Tiger, you will have to buy the mac box set priced at $169.

"Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ’09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ’09, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote."

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
There is no confusion. As Apple have stated, if you are running Tiger, you will have to buy the mac box set priced at $169.

"Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ’09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ’09, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote."

However, in his case, it's probably cheaper to buy Leopard for $129, and the family pack of Snow Leopard for $49. That gives him an upgrade for the mac mini to Leopard, and the right to upgrade both his systems to Snow Leopard afterwards.

Edit: And if he wants iLife on the Mac Mini he could buy the *Leopard* box set instead of the regular Leopard, then both systems can run Snow Leopard and the latest iLife + iWork.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.