Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penduboy

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
I'll try to explain this with simple math:

500 = cost of iMac
100 = cost of iPod and maximum iPod rebate

500 + 100 - 100 = 500

No real savings there.

Lot of people (myself including) waiting for this promotion don't want to keep the iPod. So as per your example if we sell the 100 ipod for 90 or 80 bucks on ebay, craigslist etc. your 500 imac will cost 410 or 420.....Now you can easily figure out....if there is any saving or not :)

But there is a big IF.....and that is what kind of BTS promotion Apple is going to announce.

Pendu

mackage

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
Yup, no guarantee. For all you know, you could be stuck with the free iPod.

Sure... Now the market for an ipod touch is going to drop on ebay as well. You can count on about a $200+ sale.

I see that as a $200 savings on my imac even with my 7 years of post secondary education including an MS in Accountung and a CPA certification. Clearly, if you knew Accounting procedure and all the minut details then you may understand a gain.

Simply put, this so called gain couldnt be had unless the purchase of an imac is made. You either gain an ipod or save yourself $200.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'll try to explain this with simple math:

500 = cost of iMac
100 = cost of iPod and maximum iPod rebate

500 + 100 - 100 = 500

No real savings there.

You forgot:

Sold iPod = -$100

500 + 100 - 100 - 100 = 400. :)

Yup, no guarantee. For all you know, you could be stuck with the free iPod.

Nope. Guaranteed sold iPod. I'm a top rated power seller, so I sell everytime. This will be my 4th or 5th time doing it. I have always sold minus $20 down from retail. Gotta love "buy it now" :)

And being stuck with an iPod is impossible. I'm sure flocks would bid on a $50 iPod, if you wanted to go super low. Wouldn't you?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Sure... Now the market for an ipod touch is going to drop on ebay as well. You can count on about a $200+ sale.

I see that as a $200 savings on my imac even with my 7 years of post secondary education including an MS in Accountung and a CPA certification. Clearly, if you knew Accounting procedure and all the minut details then you may understand a gain.

Simply put, this so called gain couldnt be had unless the purchase of an imac is made. You either gain an ipod or save yourself $200.

Am I supposed to be impressed with all those years you spent in academia?

To me, actual savings is not spending the money in the first place; not this procedure of first buying an item then hoping that it sells later then calling the difference "saving". I may not be as well versed in accounting as you may be, however, one thing I do know about accounting is how creative (;)) it can get.

You forgot:

Sold iPod = -$100

500 + 100 - 100 - 100 = 400. :)

Nope. Guaranteed sold iPod. I'm a top rated power seller, so I sell everytime. This will be my 4th or 5th time doing it. I have always sold minus $20 down from retail. Gotta love "buy it now" :)

And being stuck with an iPod is impossible. I'm sure flocks would bid on a $50 iPod, if you wanted to go super low. Wouldn't you?

Again, that's assuming that the iPod is intended to be sold and at a specified price. Not every person who participates in the promotion has the intention of reselling the free iPod. Also, not everyone here on MacRumors is an eBay power seller like you say you are. For that, I apologize on their behalf.

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
I would love free cloud service just for a couple months to test out, but 2 years (or 1 year) would be awesome.

marka87uk

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Is the BTS promo normally only for the Higher Education store or is it for schools/colleges also? :)

mackage

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
You could have had your new iMac for a month, and earned more money by working on it! :D

Not for 99% of us. We all have computers now or we wouldn't be on this site. Therefore, if we were using them to generate cash the advancement in technology would pretty much be moot with no real additional cash flow.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Not for 99% of us. We all have computers now or we wouldn't be on this site. Therefore, if we were using them to generate cash the advancement in technology would pretty much be moot with no real additional cash flow.
You didn't see the smiley, did you?

Calbretto

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Toronto
I have my fingers crossed that the sale will start tomorrow. I might just bite the bullet and order my iMac if they don't announce the sale within the next couple days.

mackage

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
I have my fingers crossed that the sale will start tomorrow. I might just bite the bullet and order my iMac if they don't announce the sale within the next couple days.

I am buying it this week. I am done waiting. If they announce it soon after I buy it I will call the Applecare hotline and try to get them to give me something in return.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The good news, at least, is that any qualifying Mac purchased after June 6 will be eligible for a free Lion upgrade according to Appleinsider.

"The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request. "

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...0_7_lion_for_29_99_only_in_mac_app_store.html

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
The good news, at least, is that any qualifying Mac purchased after June 6 will be eligible for a free Lion upgrade according to Appleinsider.

"The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request. "

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...0_7_lion_for_29_99_only_in_mac_app_store.html
Expected, but now confirmed. Thanks! :)

yakkowarner epi

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
(From experience,) is there a regular time that apple.com updates their website on Tuesdays where new products are released (new offers)? 12 midnight est? 9 am est tuesday?

And don't say it is completely random because I want some false sense of security here.

Kflik

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
I will definitely be purchasing my iMac this week. If not tomorrow I am hoping it will be released in the next 14 days (if it is not announced after 14 days from now it would be very likely that they would end up not having the promotion at all in my opinion...BUT I think they will definitely be having the promotion)

Great news that if you buy your iMac after June 6th, Lion will be a free upgrade. Saving a quick $30 dollars is the least I can get for all this waiting for the BTS promotion right?

Crossing fingers that tomorrow the BTS will be begin!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
(From experience,) is there a regular time that apple.com updates their website on Tuesdays where new products are released (new offers)? 12 midnight est? 9 am est tuesday?

And don't say it is completely random because I want some false sense of security here.
Usually happens around sometime during mid day, or later, CET, on tuesdays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.