Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
I installed the beta the 1st evening. So far it’s working great. A few little UI glitches but battery life is the same (I’ve not noticed any change), sleep works well. Uses approx 25% battery. I have a S4 watch. Hand washing - to answer the queries - the microphone symbol comes on as you start moving your hands in a washing motion. It obviously listens for water. Then it just starts automatically. Make sure it’s switched on in settings. Notifications work fine too. For beta 1 it’s great but as before with past watchOS betas there can be issues ahead. In my eyes beta 3 is always problematic. Let’s see.
great update. Loving the new features. Sleep is great! Plus you get a notification once your watch isfully charged as you hit the shower in the morning to top it back up.

How does the sleep feature work? Do you HAVE to use the automatic schedules? Because some of us don't go to sleep at the same time every night! I tried turning on the sleep mode on the watch but when I do int manually, it does not seem to record sleep. Not sure if this is bug or I am doing something wrong....

Reactions: bagelche

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
You can send it to Apple and they'll roll it back for you. Otherwise, nope. You're stuck until the next beta.
Don't quote me on this, but if Apple is launching a public beta for watchOS, there *might* be a way to rollback.

At the end of the keynote, Tim specifically said that for the first time WatchOS is getting public beta. Its going to get interesting.

Slendrman

Suspended
Mar 24, 2019
How does the sleep feature work? Do you HAVE to use the automatic schedules? Because some of us don't go to sleep at the same time every night! I tried turning on the sleep mode on the watch but when I do int manually, it does not seem to record sleep. Not sure if this is bug or I am doing something wrong....

Fantastic question
[automerge]1593477179[/automerge]
Working at a hospital 12-13 hrs a day, the hand washing app is going to get tired ?

alexferrigno

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks. I have quite a few apps that use force touch menus—you may have more than you realize—but Audible is probably the only one that has key functions available only through a force touch menu. Given Audible's speed at updating the app, it may be a long time before I'm able to update to WatchOS 7 if there's no work-around. The Audible app's force touch menu is the only way to delete books transferred to the Watch. Deleting the downloads from the paired iPhone doesn't even delete them from the Watch. I often listen to audiobooks and podcasts while I run, so it is one of the two most important third-party apps on my Watch. (My podcast app iCatcher! also uses a force touch menu in a few places, but they are always secondary functions.)

Third party force touch seems to just be remapped to a long press in the beta. Dark Sky and Fantastical both bring up menus that way, and a long press is working fine on beta 1.

Reactions: jhfenton

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Installed last night. Working great so far. It's only Day 1. Let's see what happens :)

Battery is fine, but I have no 3rd party apps. I wonder if the battery drain is caused by 3rd party apps. I never have battery drains with any of the betas.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Also, running things in the background doesn’t hijack your sleep mode watch face anymore. Like if you’re listening to a podcast, you will see your chosen watch face in sleep mode and not the blurry “now playing” screen.

Huh, I updated to WatchOS 7 last night and in my first few tests this hasn't been the case. I've been testing with the Now Playing screen. I still get the frosted app with digital clock when the watch face goes to sleep mode on AW5. Are you sure about this behavior? Can anyone else confirm?

Maybe you disabled the "Auto-launch audio apps" in the Settings > General > Wake Screen ???

Last edited:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
can you already have more then one complication on a face from 3rd party apps. Or do,the apps have to be updated.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Battery drain seems to have gone away for the past few days, which is really weird. I’m back to watchOS 6 battery life now.

maxchile

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
Santiago, Chile.
Hello all!, Any one tried the sleep mode?, when i put the AP ni sleep mode the screen didn’t turnoff ( block) and didint giveme the morning report , anyone the same issue?

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Huh, I updated to WatchOS 7 last night and in my first few tests this hasn't been the case. I've been testing with the Now Playing screen. I still get the frosted app with digital clock when the watch face goes to sleep mode on AW5. Are you sure about this behavior? Can anyone else confirm?

Maybe you disabled the "Auto-launch audio apps" in the Settings > General > Wake Screen ???

Well, it depends on what the last live face was. If you’re listening to music and you go back to your watch face, then if your watch goes to sleep, it isn’t Now Playing. But If you turn your wrist while using Now Playing , then Now Playing becomes your sleep face. Or was it like this on watchOS 6 as well?

And I still have auto-launch audio apps enabled.

Last edited:

Slendrman

Suspended
Mar 24, 2019
So the conference made it look like we copy watch faces on Ads in magazines etc. I know we can swap faces but can we really copy from ads etc?

techspinning

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
Did anyone received that notification on the phone when the watch is fully charged?

After a few days, it never did for me.

Make sure the Charging Reminders setting is enabled within the Sleep settings in the Watch app on the phone

Attachments

• 6BCFFAAC-ED1B-4D22-A82C-9DAA12FD4EBF.jpg
    6BCFFAAC-ED1B-4D22-A82C-9DAA12FD4EBF.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: oMc

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Finally decided to take the risk of updating my watch. I always skipped the watchOS beta as the roll back option was to send to apple. However decided this time to try it out. So far it’s surprisingly stable. My AW4 seems faster and no issues so far. I noticed they put in a delay for volume control which I see a huge value in. No more accidentally changing the volume when my crown rubs against something

rocketcrane

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020

I've been using DB1 since it came out and using the sleep feature. You set it up in the Health app, and you can choose which days of the week you want sleep to be activated and the schedule for that day of the week. But it's also easy to change for any particular day-- you can go into the Health app and edit your sleep schedule for today (and only for today, the popup page title is "Next Wake Up Only").

Was previously using Sleep++ but Apple's sleep lets my AW5 turn off its screen at night, which it previously wouldn't do.

ddsdude

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Just want to confirm: Does the phone NEED to be on iOS 14 beta for WatchOS 7 beta to work? What happens if the phone is still on 13.5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.