Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim m

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2017
Here's my horror story, for what it's worth. After my old Macbook Pro Retina's keyboard died, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new 2016 Macbook Pro in January 2017. The keyboard is loud and the feel is terrible. None the less, I persisted with using this new machine. Over time, I notice that more and more words are getting auto-corrected, until I finally figure out in late June that my "H" key is not responding about 20% of the time. I made a video:

I made an appointment with Apple and took it in. The tech ran diagnostics, and of course it comes back with, the keyboard is "fine". But he manually tests it, just by pressing the "H" key, and quickly agrees, its not working correctly. He suggests that he takes the laptop to the back, and let one of the bench techs "pop the key" and see if they can resolve the problem. I said "sure, go ahead". They took it back, tried it, and it did not help. I was then told it needs a keyboard replacement, and it would take 3 to 5 days. Having no choice, I said fine.

I have now waited a week and a half, and the repair has been stuck in "making repair" status until today. When I logged into Apples support site today to check on the status, I'm greeted with this:

Snip20170705_42.png

HOLY ****.

Are you kidding me?? I called Apple Care, and the first level support person was totally clueless and rude.
I asked for a supervisor, who got on the phone with me, and called the store that I took it into to speak to their management. After about 10 minutes, the Apple Care guy gets back on the line with me, and says "The store agreed that they can't disprove the keyboard was not broken, so they are agreeing to cover the cost of the repair for you".

WTF.

Oh awesome. I'm now being made to feel like I'm getting away with something, like Apple is so graciously "comping" my repair costs!! For a high-end product that is still under warranty. (Not to mention the extended Apple Care policy I purchased as well).

This is probably going to be a battle, folks, until Apple admits they have a general product reliability issue with these 2016 Macbook keyboards. Any lawyers out there need a lead plaintiff for a class-action lawsuit?

guesz

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2017
Same here, had my keyboard replaced once, on my second keyboard atm. The b key would sometimes double type, often at the start. bb b bb bb bb bb b all when I'm merely pressing the key once.
I'm having this b key problem too. About to get it fix, they said I have to left it there about a week or two, which is impossible.
For me, if you keep the b key pressed and move your finger around the key, more b will keep coming.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'm having this b key problem too. About to get it fix, they said I have to left it there about a week or two, which is impossible.
For me, if you keep the b key pressed and move your finger around the key, more b will keep coming.

I have had this problem, exact same problem, on my 13" touch bar 2016.

It happened first with M, some months ago, then most recently some days ago with F. Both solved by a little spanking and planting a kiss on the key and blowing air since I don't have a compressed air can.

I think there's sex in them.

ze.termica

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017

Apple's latest line of notebooks introduced an entirely revamped keyboard featuring flatter keys built using a second-generation butterfly mechanism, designed to optimize for stability while also maximizing travel. The butterfly mechanism was originally introduced in the ultra thin MacBook, but a newer version was implemented in the MacBook Pro.

There have been mixed opinions about the keyboard of the 2016 MacBook Pro due to its vastly different feel compared to previous-generation MacBook Pro models, and it appears the new butterfly mechanism may also be less reliable compared to older construction techniques.

A growing number of customers who have purchased a 2016 MacBook Pro are running into issues with the keyboard, including non-functional keys, strange high-pitched sounds on some keys, and keys with a non-uniform feel. There are dozens of threads both on MacRumors and on the Apple Support site.

13inchmacbookprokeyboard-800x475.jpg

One of the most significant issues appears to be keys that make different higher-pitched sounds than other keys in some cases, a problem that was caught on video by MacRumors user monstermac77. As is demonstrated, when the caps lock key is pressed, it makes a sound that's much different than the other keys on the keyboard.

According to monstermac77, the issue is only reproducible when the Mac is warm, a complaint that has been echoed by several other MacBook owners in the thread, suggesting heat plays a role in activating the problem. Some users are experiencing the overly-clicky sound without heat, though.The high-pitched clicking sound is irritating, but it isn't as serious as some of the other issues MacBook Pro owners have been having with the keyboard. In some cases, certain keys on the MacBook Pro miss clicks, enter double letters, or refuse to respond at all, a problem that we here at MacRumors have also experienced. MacRumors reader rroch describes the problem:It's not clear what's causing the issue with the keys that suddenly become non-functional, but the butterfly mechanism is sensitive and can be interrupted by something as simple as a bit of dust. In our case, with the machine we had that was experiencing issues with a specific key, the problem cleared up on its own, but other MacBook owners have not been so lucky.

One other minor keyboard complaint is an inconsistent feel across keys, with some keys that feel spongier than others or that don't press down consistently. This seems to be related to a problem with the butterfly mechanism which some users report having fixed with a needle or other thin tool, but most people should not try that sort of repair at home.

While many of the complaints seem to be focused on the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, some users have also had problems with both the 13-inch model with a Touch Bar and the 13-inch model with no Touch Bar.

Customers who are experiencing keyboard problems should visit an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. In most cases, Apple is offering repairs and replacements for affected users, especially those who have verifiable hardware problems related to skipping keys, but some MacRumors readers have needed to go through several replacement machines to find a keyboard that doesn't experience issues.

Keyboard replacements are also not a simple matter on a machine as complex as the MacBook Pro, and users should expect repairs or replacements to take multiple days. According to reports from customers who have sought repairs, Apple is outright replacing most Touch Bar models while sending non-Touch Bar models out for repairs.

Article Link: Some 2016 MacBook Pro Owners Experiencing Keyboard Problems
[doublepost=1499570906][/doublepost]My Macbook almost don't have use for Apple it's normal no warranty... Nice... Thank you Apple !!! My last apple product!

Attachments

• 20170709_002209.jpg
    20170709_002209.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 148

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017

That's exactly the symptom I was experiencing. I had it fixed twice (for different keys) and as I rotated my finger on the B key, you can see additional B's typing out.

I have a spare laptop (an older 2013 13" MBP) that I used while I turned in my TbMBP, but the third time they replaced the entire bottom shell (minus the cover) and gave me the updated keyboard. It doesn't have the Alt stamped on the Option key. So far it's definitely doing a lot better than before. I will highly recommend that Apple upgrade all 2016 users to the updated keyboard.
[doublepost=1499587059][/doublepost]
Here's my horror story, for what it's worth. After my old Macbook Pro Retina's keyboard died, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new 2016 Macbook Pro in January 2017. The keyboard is loud and the feel is terrible. None the less, I persisted with using this new machine. Over time, I notice that more and more words are getting auto-corrected, until I finally figure out in late June that my "H" key is not responding about 20% of the time. I made a video:

I made an appointment with Apple and took it in. The tech ran diagnostics, and of course it comes back with, the keyboard is "fine". But he manually tests it, just by pressing the "H" key, and quickly agrees, its not working correctly. He suggests that he takes the laptop to the back, and let one of the bench techs "pop the key" and see if they can resolve the problem. I said "sure, go ahead". They took it back, tried it, and it did not help. I was then told it needs a keyboard replacement, and it would take 3 to 5 days. Having no choice, I said fine.

I have now waited a week and a half, and the repair has been stuck in "making repair" status until today. When I logged into Apples support site today to check on the status, I'm greeted with this:

View attachment 707423

HOLY ****.

Are you kidding me?? I called Apple Care, and the first level support person was totally clueless and rude.
I asked for a supervisor, who got on the phone with me, and called the store that I took it into to speak to their management. After about 10 minutes, the Apple Care guy gets back on the line with me, and says "The store agreed that they can't disprove the keyboard was not broken, so they are agreeing to cover the cost of the repair for you".

WTF.

Oh awesome. I'm now being made to feel like I'm getting away with something, like Apple is so graciously "comping" my repair costs!! For a high-end product that is still under warranty. (Not to mention the extended Apple Care policy I purchased as well).

This is probably going to be a battle, folks, until Apple admits they have a general product reliability issue with these 2016 Macbook keyboards. Any lawyers out there need a lead plaintiff for a class-action lawsuit?

I sincerely hope they provide you the updated 2017 keyboard. So far it's working out great for me.

Reactions: macintoshmac

varun33

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017

Apple's latest line of notebooks introduced an entirely revamped keyboard featuring flatter keys built using a second-generation butterfly mechanism, designed to optimize for stability while also maximizing travel. The butterfly mechanism was originally introduced in the ultra thin MacBook, but a newer version was implemented in the MacBook Pro.

There have been mixed opinions about the keyboard of the 2016 MacBook Pro due to its vastly different feel compared to previous-generation MacBook Pro models, and it appears the new butterfly mechanism may also be less reliable compared to older construction techniques.

A growing number of customers who have purchased a 2016 MacBook Pro are running into issues with the keyboard, including non-functional keys, strange high-pitched sounds on some keys, and keys with a non-uniform feel. There are dozens of threads both on MacRumors and on the Apple Support site.

13inchmacbookprokeyboard-800x475.jpg

One of the most significant issues appears to be keys that make different higher-pitched sounds than other keys in some cases, a problem that was caught on video by MacRumors user monstermac77. As is demonstrated, when the caps lock key is pressed, it makes a sound that's much different than the other keys on the keyboard.

According to monstermac77, the issue is only reproducible when the Mac is warm, a complaint that has been echoed by several other MacBook owners in the thread, suggesting heat plays a role in activating the problem. Some users are experiencing the overly-clicky sound without heat, though.The high-pitched clicking sound is irritating, but it isn't as serious as some of the other issues MacBook Pro owners have been having with the keyboard. In some cases, certain keys on the MacBook Pro miss clicks, enter double letters, or refuse to respond at all, a problem that we here at MacRumors have also experienced. MacRumors reader rroch describes the problem:It's not clear what's causing the issue with the keys that suddenly become non-functional, but the butterfly mechanism is sensitive and can be interrupted by something as simple as a bit of dust. In our case, with the machine we had that was experiencing issues with a specific key, the problem cleared up on its own, but other MacBook owners have not been so lucky.

One other minor keyboard complaint is an inconsistent feel across keys, with some keys that feel spongier than others or that don't press down consistently. This seems to be related to a problem with the butterfly mechanism which some users report having fixed with a needle or other thin tool, but most people should not try that sort of repair at home.

While many of the complaints seem to be focused on the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, some users have also had problems with both the 13-inch model with a Touch Bar and the 13-inch model with no Touch Bar.

Customers who are experiencing keyboard problems should visit an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. In most cases, Apple is offering repairs and replacements for affected users, especially those who have verifiable hardware problems related to skipping keys, but some MacRumors readers have needed to go through several replacement machines to find a keyboard that doesn't experience issues.

Keyboard replacements are also not a simple matter on a machine as complex as the MacBook Pro, and users should expect repairs or replacements to take multiple days. According to reports from customers who have sought repairs, Apple is outright replacing most Touch Bar models while sending non-Touch Bar models out for repairs.

Article Link: Some 2016 MacBook Pro Owners Experiencing Keyboard Problems

Juraj98

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
Slovakia
I found a really simple but effective solution to double pressing some keyboard letters.

1. Download and install BetterTouchTool
  2. Open keyboard page
  3. Add new shortcuts
  4. Left down -> click key sequence -> record new key sequence
  5. Double press the button you want to "fix"
  6. Make sure you did not press it more times
  7. Set it as following
4tDaOV0.png

MMF9N

Save it, leave the shortcut enabled and do not assign any action to it. It just works :)

// You will be unable to press the key twice when typing really quick, but it is better than having to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: largefarrva

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
My 2016 15" has been terrible I've had graphics issues since day one ut didn't get it replaced because they said it was a software issue. Now the B key is working half the time.

Reactions: Sajjon

Sajjon

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
My 2016 15" has been terrible I've had graphics issues since day one ut didn't get it replaced because they said it was a software issue. Now the B key is working half the time.

This is really interesting since I have experience the same issues! I bought a late 2016 MBP Touch bar, maxed hardware specs, for $5000 (Macs are expensive in Sweden).

From the first minute the `D` was stuck. I had to hammer it really hard to get it to press. Also as soon as the computer had to do anything "graphics heavier" jobs it froze for 3-6 seconds. It could be just activating Mission Control or opening Facebook... I tried blocking Flash and Javascript from sites such as Facebook, same problem.... The computer would freeze for 3-6 seconds up to 10 times a day. SO frustrating.

Some weeks back the `Space` key on the keyboard got proper stucked.

I have also experienced issues with bluetooth. I tried resetting SMC and PRAM. Did not work.

Sometimes macOS would emit super scary highpitched sound, sounding like it dies. I have never heard this sound during my 10 years as a mac user. No idea what that was about.

So yeah... worst Mac I have ever owned.

I took it to service last week. Hoping that they will replace it for the new 2017 generation....

sean1860

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Just took my 15'' 2017 Macbook Pro in to check the "B" key. It was sticking quite heavily. Tech cleaned it out and it started sticking even more. Sent the computer in to replace the keyboard 3 - 5 business days. Wondering if there's a class action set up for this?

Reactions: solrunner

slimwallet

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
Just took my 15'' 2017 Macbook Pro in to check the "B" key. It was sticking quite heavily. Tech cleaned it out and it started sticking even more. Sent the computer in to replace the keyboard 3 - 5 business days. Wondering if there's a class action set up for this?
I just had a similar problem with "B" key not responding half the time and got the keyboard replaced under warranty. They sent it to depot and had the keyboard replaced. Interesting thing is one of the demo 13" had the exact same problem.

tim m

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2017
Got my keyboard replaced. Now, my "g" key is double-typing. Another mechanical error, as I can hear it clickingg twice (it just did it, not bothering to correct). This keyboard is terrible. Going to try the solution posted above; I have zero faith taking it back to Apple for yet another replacement will do anything.

mikejobson

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015

View attachment 707423

HOLY ****.

WTF.

Holy crap this is the issue I am having with my keyboard. They replaced the screen (creaky hinge assembly was also an issue) but shrugged of the keyboard despite 4 reminders from me to check it. Eventually I get it back after 11 days and it's still broken. Now I kicked off and got them to take it back in (probably for another extended period of time) to replace the whole bottom assembly. As the keyboard is behind the batteries this is the only choice and now I am thinking they may as well as just swapped out the whole machine.

What worries me is my laptop was bought in March and it's broken in September. How long after this repair will it be before I am back in the same situation? I do have Apple Care but my last mac lasted 4 years with no issues!
[doublepost=1507531879][/doublepost]I'm over this issue already ... the design is clearly complete poo.

Anyone want to get a class action started?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The "b" key on my 2016 15" was repeating, along with the "n" and "t" keys (the latter randomly).

Keyboard was cleaned once, and then replaced, by Apple. So far, so good - the tech said Apple was replacing 2016 keyboards/top cases with ones from 2017. I can't say if that's accurate or not, but so far the replacement keyboard is working properly (and has a noticeably better "feel" than the original keyboard - not nearly as good as 2015 or earlier, but noticeably better).

Hope it lasts. Now if Apple could just shrink the trackpad . . .

AndyEdinburgh

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
London
Maybe because the keyboard is absolute junk, designed for teenagers who never have to type for extended periods. There was nothing wrong with the keyboard, that's what happens when you fix something that isn't broken. Want a good keyboard? Get a ThinkPad.
[doublepost=1507980304][/doublepost]I agree! Apple made a major mistake with this new keyboard! Contrary to the publicity, it is just cheap and nasty. When we spend £3,000 on a new laptop we deserve much better! I have had several Apples before, but never with such an unreliable keyboard. Mostly, I have problems with the 'n' and 'b' keys, which either skip or, if you press a bit harder, give double letters. I also get problems with the cursor jumping randomly to another part of the text while I am typing, for no apparent reason.
In addition, the new keyboard is very noisy. If, like me, you often work in a library or quiet study space, the clatter of the new keyboard is embarrassing, and trying to type quietly only make more letters skip.
I took it to the Apple Store genius bar and they showed me keyboard settings. Worth looking at, but does not solve the problem. They say they can do nothing and recommended that I buy a refurbished laptop with the old keyboard (but will not refund the one I have).
I hope there will be enough complaints that Apple will finally redesign the keyboard more like the old one and offer free retrofits to all of us who find ourselves downgraded.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Well, it didn't last. The "b" and "n" keys are again repeating, and the "c" key does not always register. Scheduled to take it in Tuesday; we'll see what the store comes up with. I'm annoyed.

AndyEdinburgh

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
London
Well, it didn't last. The "b" and "n" keys are again repeating, and the "c" key does not always register. Scheduled to take it in Tuesday; we'll see what the store comes up with. I'm annoyed.

Take your annoyance to the store and be insistent! It took me two trips, but now they finally agreed to replace the keyboard. I invited the technician to type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" into WORD several times and see how many errors there were, but he didn't even bother. They know these keyboards have a problem, really.

Presumably they will fit the 2017 keyboard, which is supposed to be a bit better. Whether it will be, remains to be seen...
They also said 'no more than a week', which also remains to be seen.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Update:

Went to the Apple depot in Texas for repair. Repair complete, should be back tomorrow. Will update as to whether a second top case/keyboard replacement is successful.

Aplle rep in store said machine will be replaced if this repair does not correct the problem.

I have to tip my hat on the speed - I dropped it off yesterday about 1 pm and should have it back tomorrow by 1.

pjwal

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
I have a problem w/ my 15" 2016 MBP w/ touchbar. At first, it was the B key inputting twice on press, but that has "gone away" for the time being, but now the N key has started inputting twice.

Such a hassle, I can't be without it for even a couple of days, unfortunately. Does anyone know if Apple will ever replace one with a newer version if the customer pays the price difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.