Some 2016 MacBook Pro Owners Experiencing Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Seems like stuff can get into the keyboard easily causing this problems. I flipped the MacBook upside down and pressed the key multiple times and it seems to work fine now. I am bit worried what will happen in ~2 years with all the dirt accumulated under the keys.

2. devniel macrumors newbie

did you solve it ? I'm having the same problem with my 'b' key. You can detect the difference while keeping it touched and moving the finger, sometimes a new 'b' will appear and that's not correct. Thanks.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

Not solved. Intermittent. I suppose i should bring it in. I don't think it's an issue with some dirt in there or anything. I think it's an actual hardware problem.

4. sundragon macrumors regular

sundragon

Respectfully, I hear you but there are a few points I'd like to make.

$4000 is because you bought a 1TB SSD - Any laptop with a 1TB SSD is going cost a ton - I paid $2100 for the 15 on sale during Christmas.

FWIW, I've had no issues with the "massive trackpad and palm rejection" I'm 6'4" with huge hands that pretty much touch the trackpad during typing. I'm not saying you're wrong but I wonder if you got a lemon or the way your hands touch it require the default palm rejection in the settings to be adjusted.

5. Playfoot macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

Have made three visits to the Genius Bar this month. Will see if this last repair works for the keyboard. Interesting to note the entire top sheet must be replaced, even for a simple keyboard repair. Unlike before, it is a 7 to 10 day repair period: older models could be done in place, or overnight. And for reference the battery is glued or otherwise attached to the top sheet. Total repair cost, note covered under Apple warranty is just north of USD1,000.

This will be expensive when out of warranty. Do not see the machine being either as durable or as easy to upgrade/repair as previous models.

As for the flattop called a track pad, Genius technicians noted there are many complaints in their records and while they are unable to comment/are unaware, their gut instinct and experience leads them to believe Apple is working on ways to mitigate the trackpad issues.

6. Macuser291, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

Macuser291 macrumors newbie

Went to the Apple Store today to check out the 2016 MacBook Pro keyboards. I checked the the 2016 Mbp keyboards. One had a bad Fn key. It's a 13" MBP no TouchBar. The others (13 & 15 inch mbp with touchbar) had good keyboards.

The broken Fn key stays in the pressed position. I could not press it down further and it would not come up.

Is there a way to derive manufacture date from serial number or any other info? Some say it only affects the earlier units. Thanks.

[​IMG]

7. mindthegip macrumors newbie

mindthegip

I'm facing this issue on several letters (R,O,E,S,Backspace, Tab) and the keyboard is very uncomfortable to use with this strange rumour.

8. rjain2 macrumors newbie

rjain2

--- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM ---
    It is definitely a problem. I have owned the late-2016 Macbook Pro 15-inch with touchbar for 4 months. It has already gone for repair when the "T key didn't press far enough (as they said, it lost travel...so you had to press somewhat harder if you are a touch typer). The whole computer was gutted to replace the keyboard (logic board, i/o boards etc.). And now one month after that repair, the "G" key has the same problem. I wish people would take notice to a point there is a recall and replacement with a redesigned keyboard. Otherwise, we are stuck with a $3500 toy. For people who want to follow other discussions, here is a link to one of the threads:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31554196?ac_cid=tw123456#31554196