Some 2016 MacBook Pro Owners Experiencing Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Seems like stuff can get into the keyboard easily causing this problems. I flipped the MacBook upside down and pressed the key multiple times and it seems to work fine now. I am bit worried what will happen in ~2 years with all the dirt accumulated under the keys.

2. devniel macrumors newbie

did you solve it ? I'm having the same problem with my 'b' key. You can detect the difference while keeping it touched and moving the finger, sometimes a new 'b' will appear and that's not correct. Thanks.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

Not solved. Intermittent. I suppose i should bring it in. I don't think it's an issue with some dirt in there or anything. I think it's an actual hardware problem.

4. sundragon macrumors regular

sundragon

Respectfully, I hear you but there are a few points I'd like to make.

$4000 is because you bought a 1TB SSD - Any laptop with a 1TB SSD is going cost a ton - I paid $2100 for the 15 on sale during Christmas.

FWIW, I've had no issues with the "massive trackpad and palm rejection" I'm 6'4" with huge hands that pretty much touch the trackpad during typing. I'm not saying you're wrong but I wonder if you got a lemon or the way your hands touch it require the default palm rejection in the settings to be adjusted.

5. Playfoot macrumors member

Thank you for your reply.

Have made three visits to the Genius Bar this month. Will see if this last repair works for the keyboard. Interesting to note the entire top sheet must be replaced, even for a simple keyboard repair. Unlike before, it is a 7 to 10 day repair period: older models could be done in place, or overnight. And for reference the battery is glued or otherwise attached to the top sheet. Total repair cost, note covered under Apple warranty is just north of USD1,000.

This will be expensive when out of warranty. Do not see the machine being either as durable or as easy to upgrade/repair as previous models.

As for the flattop called a track pad, Genius technicians noted there are many complaints in their records and while they are unable to comment/are unaware, their gut instinct and experience leads them to believe Apple is working on ways to mitigate the trackpad issues.

6. Macuser291, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

Macuser291 macrumors newbie

Went to the Apple Store today to check out the 2016 MacBook Pro keyboards. I checked the the 2016 Mbp keyboards. One had a bad Fn key. It's a 13" MBP no TouchBar. The others (13 & 15 inch mbp with touchbar) had good keyboards.

The broken Fn key stays in the pressed position. I could not press it down further and it would not come up.

Is there a way to derive manufacture date from serial number or any other info? Some say it only affects the earlier units. Thanks.

[​IMG]

7. mindthegip macrumors newbie

mindthegip

I'm facing this issue on several letters (R,O,E,S,Backspace, Tab) and the keyboard is very uncomfortable to use with this strange rumour.

8. rjain2 macrumors newbie

rjain2

--- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2017 ---
    It is definitely a problem. I have owned the late-2016 Macbook Pro 15-inch with touchbar for 4 months. It has already gone for repair when the "T key didn't press far enough (as they said, it lost travel...so you had to press somewhat harder if you are a touch typer). The whole computer was gutted to replace the keyboard (logic board, i/o boards etc.). And now one month after that repair, the "G" key has the same problem. I wish people would take notice to a point there is a recall and replacement with a redesigned keyboard. Otherwise, we are stuck with a $3500 toy. For people who want to follow other discussions, here is a link to one of the threads:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31554196?ac_cid=tw123456#31554196

9. adrianm2000 macrumors member

S,O,R,E,BKSP,TAB?

10. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Ask Jony Ive. Thin is never thin enough.

11. AnonymousJosh macrumors newbie

I picked up the new touchbar macbook pro and i HATE it. So sick of APPLE's nonsense--this laptop is the worst $4000 downgrade i can imagine. I had to take the first one back--processor failure right out of the box. The keyboard is not only loud as %&^, the H key sticks. The screen has accumulated scratches in 2 months that my 2013 macbook didn't in 4 years. The touchbar is worthless. actually worse than worthless--where i used to simply press the lower volume button to lower the volume. now i have to open up their stupid animation of a speaker before i can drag the volume down. And frankly, the speed and stability is not improved so much that i'm not thinking of selling and going back to my 2013 macbook.

12. ruudboon macrumors newbie

Same issue here with a 13" and 15" macbook. Already replaced the keyboard twice on the 15", replace the complete macbook 15" once. Replaced 13" keyboard and replaced mainboard of 13" because of video issues.
    The spacebar of my 15" is already feeling different, will only take a few days before it will break down.

13. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Well, I'll join the chorus. I've used Macs for 35 years an this 13" MBP 2016 is the first computer I've bought from Apple that not only isn't an improvement over my last one (2013 MBA), it's a significant downgrade.

Even if the keys didn't stick, I'd still hate the keyboard. I still have a 27" iMac 5k with Apple Keyboard, and it's like a breath of fresh air when I go from typing on the MBP back to typing on that normal keyboard. I often use the computer while I'm on the phone, and the MBP is so loud that it interferes with the call.

But that's not all. Like many others, I have the "sticky key" problem. In my case it's the "D" key most consistently, but it can happen to other keys too. Sometimes compressed air will solve the problem, but other times (like right now) it doesn't. It took me a lot longer than it should to write this message, for example, because I had to re-type the "d" so many times.

I've been avoiding taking it in for repair, because WTF am I supposed to do without my MBP for 7-10 days? I take it in to my office every day an can't really work without it. And what are my alternatives if I want to stay within the Apple ecosystem (I do, at least for now). Seems like Apple is committed to this ridiculous path of thinner (and more and more useless) computers.

As others have pointed out, what is a significant inconvenience now (having to part with your computer for 7-10 days while it gets fixed) becomes an unacceptable expense ($1k for keyboard repair) in the future—and it's clearly a recurring problem. Most people on this thread who've had it fixed go on to have the issue again, often with a different key.

Argggh, this is so frustrating!

14. blackcypher macrumors newbie

Same here, had my keyboard replaced once, on my second keyboard atm. The b key would sometimes double type, often at the start. bb b bb bb bb bb b all when I'm merely pressing the key once.

15. cmaier macrumors G3

How long did the replacement take? I haven't done it yet since I usually use an external keyboard and I don't really have time to leave my machine with Apple for a few days.

16. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Has anyone done the replacement and ended up with a good keyboard? Seems to me that everyone on this thread that had the keyboard replaced got another one that ended up with the same problems. This makes me even less enthusiastic about taking mine in for repair and being without it for 10-14 days.

17. blackcypher macrumors newbie

I'm in Hawaii and it took about 5 business days. Apple gave me the choice to have it shipped via FEDEX to my home.

18. nviz22 macrumors 68030

nviz22

Would rather get the Surface Book, Surface Laptop, or Surface Pro over the 2016 MBs. Last good MB is the 2015 MBP imo.

19. blackcypher macrumors newbie

I managed to come up with a temp ghetto solution to the repeating key issue. My b key used to sometimes repeat itself adding in additional letters even when I pressed the key once. Using my iFixit toolkit, I decided to pop off one of the keys following a youtube video, but you don't need that if you have a thin guitar pick.

The first thing I tested was whether the key was warped in some way so I swapped the n and b keys around and found that the key in the b position (now the n key) had the exact same issue and where the b key was (where the n key would be) had no problems. So this told me that it wasn't the key itself.

This led me to believe that the issue was under the b key, so I started to mess with some clear plastic shipping tape and cut it into very small strips of 3mm long by 2mm wide. I started to tape around (not on) the nipple under the b key forming a square (around the nipple) and replaced the key onto the keyboard and found a compromise where it now behaves for the most part. Depending on your specific issue, it make take more than one layer of tape in some areas.

Theories:

- the underlying part is not made uniformly
    - the way in which the keyboard is mounted is not uniform
    - poor quality control of the underlying keyboard
    - the butterfly mechanism (white parts) does not manage the key cap properly

Note: It's important to use clear tape if you want the backlight to show through the key.

20. ILUVAPPLE69 macrumors member

ILUVAPPLE69

This is so frustrating because I use my MacBook Pro a lot and want to upgrade to a bigger screen, but again I have to play the waiting game with Apple. First, waiting for WWDC for any improvements or upgrades. Then again waiting for an October event for Kaby Lake processors and any improvements. I love macOS but with Apple it's a non stop waiting game.

21. protoncito macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook Pro about a month ago. As soon as I opened the box I realized there was a problem with the keyboard, some keys got stuck, so I went immediately back to Apple to get a new machine, which I did.
    My new machine worked fine for a whole month until the other day, when two keys stopped working.
    What kind of company sells a computer for nearly $3000 with a keyboard that's absolutely crap?

22. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I agree with most of the points.
    The keyboard is experiencing periodic key misses apparently because of debris under the keys.
    The touch bar is not useful. I have it set to the standard function keys and it still gets in the way. Too easy to inadvertently hit a key when a finger casually slides that way. No press required.
    The touch pad give me major headaches. My right palm seems to sometimes hit it while I'm typing and suddenly the cursor moves somewhere else and I'm typing in the wrong place. Very annoying and happens frequently to me with no option to control its behavior. The trackpad on the 15" is insanely big. Not remotely useful.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2017 ---
    I actually bought both. The Surface book works surprisingly well for a Windows machine. But the trackpad is like the previous generation trackpad. The force touch trackpad is nicer. Otherwise the Surface book is nice. But ultimately, I've continued to use my MBP as my main machine.

23. blackcypher macrumors newbie

Well, I had to return to the Apple Store for a third time for servicing a key-related issue.

The work order doesn't describe in detail what they did but I'll say this, it appears they replaced the entire lower half of my MBP with the newer keyboard installed. The older model had "Alt" inscribed on the Option keys but now it looks like the more recent models.

I can only hope this time will be a more permanent fix.

24. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

Only Apple could do this. -Tim Cook

25. blackcypher macrumors newbie

Got my MBP back, this time they replaced the bottom half of the unit. The screen and bottom access cover is the same, but the keyboard is now the same as the new models. I think they gutted the inside, replaced the keyboard with the 2017 models.

As I'm typing here, I'm noticing the keys are less "clicky" sounding and more deadened. I like this much better than the 2016 keyboard I got used to. The feel and such doesn't change all that much though.