Some Mac App Store Apps 'Damaged' Due to Expired Security Certificate

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I've been having trouble updating Xcode all morning. And this isn't the first time. The App Store app has always been a bit unstable for me, but recently it has gotten much worse. Updates take forever to install, and then fail with a vague "unknown error occurred" message. I finally filed a bug about it yesterday.
All Xcodes updates have been "a problem" for me. The last one was 150MBs and took about 20mins to download (150MBs!? It's a university network.). It think the server for Xcode is one of their 2014 Mac mini's. Then it took about 25 minutes to install. The install, not download, times just kept bouncing all over the place. Xcode updates are rarely ever fast for me.

Reactions: Thermonuclear

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Happened to me with Sketch 3. I'm on the latest El Capitan.
iDentify will not even give me the error message. It just does not fire up at all. It bounces twice and then does nothing. Very annoying. And I use iDentify for all my meta data needs.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
And that is why Apps that no longer get updates should be removed to make it easier to find other or current apps but if Apple did this it will show the lack of Free software's.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
A similar problem with expired certificates exists with Apple's iWork/iLife applications when attempting to install on machines stuck at OS/X 10.7.5 Lion. Two differences: the diagnostic says something relevant ("Certificate has expired" instead of "Corrupt application", and "Click OKAY to skip the certificate check".

Why is Apple going backward? Why doesn't Apple with all its billions of dollars hire a few people to ensure proper certification management? If Apple can take back what you've bought, then why don't they automatically refund the purchase price when doing so?

Reactions: NMBob

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I said it before and I say it again, Apple is falling behind in the software department. The number of bugs seems to increase with every release for either OSX or iOS. They still haven't resolved the iCloud backup issue, they should be embarrassed.

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
"Good" to know that I am not the only one who had this problem. MiniNote Pro (ex NotesTab Pro) didn't lunch and asked for Apple ID and password today.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Seems like a big issue to people who need to run those apps but cannot.

I don't know if its a El Cap issue, or something on the App Store side of things.
What I mean is that it is not that big of an issue if all that is required is to re-log into itunes or restart the computer. That worked for me and based on other comments I thought that this workaround was good for everyone. If people are not able to get to their apps at all no matter what, then I would agree that is a bigger issue than I had assumed. Sorry if I was not clear.

jinnj

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Apple is doomed.

Can't even get El Capitan to work. I guess if you did a restore from Internet, it also gets this problem from MAS.

Windows 10 is looking great.

Yeah right, to fix this issue you can reboot or re-install the app. There are many issues with Windows 10 and the best fix for the majority of them is a Clean Install of the OS. WTF! Really!

Reactions: Romy90210

jinnj

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
A question, if I may: Is it a requirement that MAS apps contact Apple before opening?
No. There is a local certificate when the app is first installed. The App Store can invalidate it's own certs which will affect apps installed through the App Store.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
I said it before and I say it again, Apple is falling behind in the software department. The number of bugs seems to increase with every release for either OSX or iOS. They still haven't resolved the iCloud backup issue, they should be embarrassed.
Agreed. The Apple of today is nowhere near that of 5 years ago. Serious quality control issues exist. What is almost as disgusting is the amount of users around here who actually defend the state Apple is in right now and all of the shortcomings that come with it like they've come to expect and accept this type of garbage. Is Apple now just any other mass market brand? With each passing year it looks as though Jobs really was Apple and without him they just aren't the same. They better get their stuff together or they're going to end up right back where they were during the first "post Jobs" era.

SyneRyder

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
Perth, Australia
Yeah right, to fix this issue you can reboot or re-install the app.
Rebooting isn't working for everyone. Reinstalling isn't always an option as Apple doesn't allow old versions of apps to be downloaded from the Mac App Store, so people with computers that can only run Tweetbot 1.6.2, Byword 1.x or similarly affected apps are out of luck.

At the moment I've got about $50 worth of software I've bought that has stopped working & probably wont be fixed on my two older Macs. $50 isn't a lot, but it's only that low because I buy my software direct from the developers whenever I can. Very glad I did that now.

mindquest

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
At the moment I've got about $50 worth of software I've bought that has stopped working & probably wont be fixed on my two older Macs. $50 isn't a lot, but it's only that low because I buy my software direct from the developers whenever I can. Very glad I did that now.
Rebooting isn't working for everyone. Reinstalling isn't always an option as Apple doesn't allow old versions of apps to be downloaded from the Mac App Store, so people with computers that can only run Tweetbot 1.6.2, Byword 1.x or similarly affected apps are out of luck.
Tweetbot 1.6.2 is essentially dead. Here is the reply direct from Tweetbot regarding this:

"There was a change made yesterday by the Mac App Store that seems to have broken Tweetbot 1.6.2. Unfortunately the only solution we can think of would be to update to Tweetbot 2.x and that requires using Mac OS X 10.10 or greater."

ReneR

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Berlin, Germany
If the App does not validate with the refreshed receipt from the AppStore (like our OCRKit.app - http://ocrkit.com) chances are it is linked against an older BaseSDK and thus an older libcrypto.so that does not support the new cipher. Unless Apple is smart enough to alter their server-side to send an old-style cert in this case there is nothing but an App update linking against a newer SDK that is going to fix this. We submitted an update already and requested an expedited App review, sigh.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
If you think the price for el capitan was not included in the high equipment price you are truly confused.
Apple decided some time ago to let its users get free operating systems.
One of the reasons was probably to get more converts and people to try it.

Since then their MacBooks or iMacs are being introduced with more features, faster processors, better cameras etc. always around the same price.
They only increased the retina lines for good reasons.

What is in an individual product calculation is unknown, but the fact is that in order to get El Capitan you do not have to pay. It is FREE!

I have a 2008 17" MBP which went through all the paid cats (skipped Lion)
Mavericks, Yosemite and now El Capitan.
All of these were FREE, so when did they include the cost for these OS in my computers?

BTW: I bought my MBP and some for others on eBay and thus paid no premium.

So, how is that being confused?

demet

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
I can't launch Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. was working fine for a few years before today. tried re-downloading twice, same thing. deleted app and cleared trash before downloading. rebooted a few times. if they have updated the certificate for some reason it's not coming through on my machine. MBP 10.9.5 I really don't want to upgrade to newer OS as I have heard it is full of issues. the reviews on the App store are horrendous! yeah, apple is turning into the Microsoft of the late 90's. any help out there?!

demet

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Yeah right, to fix this issue you can reboot or re-install the app. There are many issues with Windows 10 and the best fix for the majority of them is a Clean Install of the OS. WTF! Really!
reinstalling and rebooting have not fixed this for me. wtf! really!

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
So THAT'S what's going on. I thought i'd been hacked somehow. In a way, as annoying as this is, it's a little of a relief.