Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some Qi-based wireless chargers don't appear to be working with the iPhone 12 models, perhaps due to the magnets inside of the new devices, alignment issues, or other internal changes to wireless charging protocols.

ZENS-Liberty-16-Coils-Wireless-Charger-with-Apple-Watch-USB-stick-Lifestyle-Image.jpg

Apple's iPhone models have been using Qi wireless charging since the launch of the iPhone X and iPhone 8 in 2017, so many people have existing wireless chargers on hand from prior iPhone generations. Unfortunately, some of those wireless chargers do not appear to be working properly with the iPhone 12 at this time.

There are complaints about non-functional wireless chargers from multiple new iPhone 12 owners on both Reddit and the MacRumors forums. Affected chargers work with older iPhones, but will not charge the iPhone 12 models, which is something to be aware of if you have a new iPhone 12 or are planning a purchase.

The MacRumors forums has a list of chargers that don't appear to be working with the iPhone 12 such as the Zens Liberty Wireless Charger, the Mophie Charge Stream Pad+, the Nomad Base Station Stand, and the Mophie 3-in-1 wireless charging stand. There are also complaints about some Anker wireless chargers.

Nomad's Base Station Pro with Aira wireless charging technology was previously on the list, but just this week Nomad released a firmware update that should address the problem. Unfortunately, most wireless chargers can't get firmware updates like the Base Station Pro, and it's not clear if there's a software fix on the way from Apple.

Some users have had luck getting a wireless charger to work after restarting a device or attempting to change the positioning of the phone on the charger, but in most cases, the affected wireless chargers simply don't charge the iPhone 12 models. This is a problem that seems to be limited to a small number of chargers and most appear to be working.

Update 10:15 a.m.: Apple has just released iOS 14.2 which includes a mention of a fix for an issue in which "devices could be prevented from charging wirelessly." Presumably, this should fix many of the previous issues, while other tweaks by charger vendors such as Nomad's Base Station Pro firmware update may also help. Not all chargers are able to have their firmware updated by users, however.

Article Link: Some Qi Wireless Chargers Not Working With iPhone 12 [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: ScholarsInk

Johnny907

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I have noticed it being harder to get the alignment correct on my Anker Qi pads with the 12 versus the 11 or X before it. It's annoying but I figured it was because of the new charging setup inside the phone.

Comment

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Isn’t this really old news? Weren’t we all talking about this quite a while ago? Either that, or I’m having some serious deja vu.

Anyway, my Nomad Base Station Watch Edition (that’s a mouthful) works perfectly.

Comment

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
Works on my 3 in 1 mophie but it’s positioned differently. I’ve never liked Qi chargers for positioning issues. Excited about the line of MagSafe accessories coming down the pipe for charging. Will resolve those concerns.

Comment

macsound1

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
If one manufacturer was able to identify the issue and push a software update, I'm assuming its not because of the magsafe magnets but something about device negotiation.

I'm worried about all the public Qi chargers, like in Starbucks tables, becoming obsolete, since they're really the only ones I ever use.

Also doesn't bode well if Apple is going to be pushing toward no ports in future iPhones.

Comment

itsmeaustend

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2016
This was mentioned in the 14.2 patch notes. It's a software bug that's been fixed. Update to the beta and it'll get fixed.

and it's not clear if there's a software fix on the way from Apple.

Seriously big fail.

Last edited:
Comment

jcshas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
Strange that the Nomad Pro Basestation isn’t compatible because I have a Nomad Base Station Apple Watch Edition and mine works fine with my iPhone 12 Pro. 🤔

Reactions: decypher44
Comment

Theydonboi

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
My 12Pro suddenly stopped working on two Qi chargers yesterday (one of which is the Nomad Base Station + Watch). No amount of wiggling around could get the phone to recognize them and start charging.

Restarted the phone and it started working again on both. Worth a go, guys.

Comment

Henry S

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
No problems with my Anker upright stand; maybe it's easier to get positioned correctly.

Comment

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
If a charging mat can be knocked out of commission because of software issues, that really just sounds like more reason to stick to cable charging...

Reactions: aylk
Comment

justin611

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2020
Add the RavPower Wireless Charging Stand with HyperAir to the list. I have an e-mail into their engineering team. It charges fine if the battery is at 50% or higher. If lower, it won't charge until I remove and replace onto the charge 3-4 times.

Comment

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
My 12Pro suddenly stopped working on two Qi chargers yesterday (one of which is the Nomad Base Station + Watch). No amount of wiggling around could get the phone to recognize them and start charging.

Restarted the phone and it started working again on both. Worth a go, guys.
That’s strange. Mine works great. Just tested it right this second to see if something changed, but still good. Haven’t had an issue with mine. Maybe something glitched for you. Weird.

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2019
I hear some say that this is a software issue, and if so then great.

But if it isn't and this ends up being yet another Apple proprietary dingaling-ness then this is really bad news and a regression after so much forward momentum.

MagSafe is seriously starting to sound like it's not worth it.

Comment

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
The wireless charger I use on my XS Max does not work on my 12

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.